996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust Dilemma!! Techart/Fabspeed/GHL??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 AM
charleysung is infamous around these parts
Exhaust Dilemma!! Techart/Fabspeed/GHL??

I currently have a GHL exhaust on my 2001 TT. It sounds pretty good when the RPM is below 3000. It has a deep tone and a nice burble. When the RPM is over 3000, an ugly sound rears its head. It is super loud and tinny. Sounds like an overblown lawn mower. Anyone else experience this?

Now I have offers for both a used Techart exhaust and a used Fabspeed (moderate sport) exhaust. Neither of these options appeal to me either. First, I hear that the Techart is very quiet and is almost like stock. Second, I hear that even the moderate version of the Fabspeed is extremely loud (although I hear that it does not have the tinny GHL sound). Right now I am leaning towards the Fabspeed.

I am looking for a moderate exhaust that I can hear, but I don't want an extremely loud exhaust that will turn too many heads when I pull into the valet line at a really nice restaurant.

Can anyone share their experiences with these exhausts?

Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I've had Fabspeed in my old awd turbo, and liked it. It wasn't the most exotic sound, but it was loud. My car was blacked out, and bad ***, so the loudness of the fabspeed fit in.

I really like Cargraphic Exhaust now. The note is the best IMO for these cars.

send a PM to LSM Lou has some videos we took with the Cargraphic exhaust.

Ryan

Old 07-25-2006, 10:44 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Techart (Supersprint) is considered one of the best sounding exhausts for the Turbo (up there with EP) go for it.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Europipe Videos -----> www.europipe.be

Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
topspn is infamous around these parts
Charley: I've got Techart on mine with a supercharger and it sounds great. It's not quiet, that's for sure!

Regards

Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I have the Fabspeed Medium and am happy with it compared to stock. It seemed loud at first, but now I think it sounds great. It does resonate a bit at lower rpm, but I don't notice that anymore either.

I have heard from many that the Europipe and Cargraphic sound better than most. Your best bet is to find a few guys with different exhaust and drive their cars.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Top sounding exhaust IMO are Cargraphic, 9ff, my FVD sounds amazingly mechanical, Europipe, Techart!!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
I am biased, but I like the FVD....

Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
I have the techart super sport. Sounds great. Not quiet at all. Just my opinion.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Fabspeed....

YOU WILL NEVER GET AN EXOTIC high pitched scream out of a Porsche...unless it's a CGT

Old 07-27-2006, 11:11 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
I have Cargraphic Loud and love it!! At WOT it sounds exotic. Not F1 exotic, but exotic!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
RT7
Show-N-Go like J-Lo Mofo
RT7 is infamous around these parts
I have the Fabspeed Loud, not loud enough for me.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:34 AM
tthoang1 is infamous around these parts
There's someone selling a Cargraphic medium in the "for-sale" section. I have the Fabspeed GT2 Supersport and it's freakin loud. Just the way I want it. If you live in a climate that's typically 80 degrees F or warmer, there's very little drone or resonance. There's no tinny sound here, just bad-*** rumble.

Last edited by tthoang1; 07-27-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Thanks for the kind words & feedback on our Fabspeed Motorsports MAXFLO 996TT high performance exhaust systems. I wanted to clraify and mention several value added features on our 996TT & 997TT exhaust systems.

Fabspeed Motorsports SPORT Medium sound and SUPERSPORT agressive /loud are the bench mark when it comes to quality , advanced engineering and maximum power all in 1 system. No other system offers these features and advantages.

Fabspeed Motorsports manufacturers in the USA utilizing 14 guage T304 stainless steel with imported sports racing catalytic converters-- everyone else uses 18 guage to 20 guage thin wall stainless. Our mufflers are the very strongest and everything is mirror polished to a show car shine. Our welds are as beautiful as anyones BUT we choose to SHOW MIRROR polish everything.........why would anyone want to look at mill quality stainless sheet for $3500 to $5500.

2) Fabspeed uses 63.5mm 2.5" perforated cores all the way through the system.......all other competitors use smaller tubing and therefore restrict exhaust flow and increase backpressure and therefore lose power. Fabspeed Motorsports exhaust systems have CONSISTENTLY WON each & every DYNO TEST and every high performance TUNER SHOOTOUT in LAS VEGAS.

Fabspeed's exhaust systems WON as production systems that anyone can buy and were NOT "one off" race systems. I could CNC bend up 5.0" 127.5mm tubing that could support 3500HP but why bother. That is all hype.

3) Our 996TT & 997TT exhaust systems are unique and better engineered as Fabspeed's MAXFLO highperformance exhaust is the ONLY modular systems that allow 3 to 4 levels of sound and power. This UNQUE and EXCLUSIVE feature is simple and takes 10 to 20 minutes to allow anyone to change the sound and power as you like ONLY on a Fabspeed 996TT & 997TT Maxflo exhaust system. VIDEOS on our website explain everything in detail.

All other exhaust competing exhaust systems are welded together in 1 piece and not interchangeable and if damage occurs you cant repair nor replace a part or component. With a Fabspeed system the 996TT & 997TT can have Medium sound or agressive sound...........and that same 996TT/997TT enthusiast can go to the "track" with your buddies or on Saturday Nite if you want the system to be "louder" and sound racy or agressive & maximum high tech like a 935 or 962 factory Porsche race car............ONLY Fabspeed Motorsports cared enough to engineer and offer these features.

The feature is a MODULAR SYSTEM that allows anyone to change out the rear muffler to a louder or quiter systems OR DELETE the complete rear muffler altogether and run a set of muffler bypass pipes. If you NEED even more power and or sound we offer catbypass pipes .....we just DONT weld in catalytic converter cores.

These features added $700.00 extra cost to each system.........many TUNERS tried to "copy" these features BUT couldnt pull it off. I should have patented our systems.

4) The RESONANCE & noise situation. Each & every aftermarket exhaust for all 996TT cars has some extra noise @ 2200to 2500RPM. Any vendor or supplier that states otherwise is FULL OF CRAP. A 996TT X50 cabriolet BONE STOCK with factory Porsche OEM muffler resonates..............all this "bashing back and forth and saying my "XYZ exhaust" is perfect and "XRAY9 DELTA muffler" adds power BUT has no resonnace is nonesense. All highperformance exhaust systems should add significant power and exotic sound. I have personally ridden in 996TT cars with every exhaust brand available...........they all make noise............the whole resonance thing is a smear campaign to side swipe other brands and obsfuscate the entire decision making systems for the end user. Some people also fell that since they have a $150,000 to $200,000.00 car that was made in Germany or Italy........then you must get a systems from the "experts" in that country as that is where the car was manufactured. That assumption is not valid.

If you have any questions and would like to see detailed VIDEOS explaining everything about 996TT & 997TT exhaust from a manufacturer that has been in the Porsche Club since 1984 and making performance exhaust since 1994 go to

www.fabspeed.com
info@fabspeed.com

215-646-4945 (9828fax)

Have a great day
Joe Fabiani
President
PCA member since 1984

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 10-29-2007 at 10:41 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Dilemma!! Techart/Fabspeed/GHL??