996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which exhaust yields the most power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:21 PM
ECB
ECB is infamous around these parts
Thats an easy answer...

we Dyno tested the 9ff Variotune Gen II several months ago. The result was a 39HP gain!! We were ecstatic with the results.

Of course the real superiority that the variotune has over all other "competitors" is its complete and absolute lack of resonance, a weigh savings of 20 lbs, the smooth mellifluous soundtrack , but most of all the advanced technology that allows the selection of either a "loud" setting or the quieter "sport" setting.

The beauty of the system is that unlike the fine Kreis-seg, the 9ff's valves are entirely behind the cats. As such, the only diversion involves the mufflers. The importance of this is that the power delta between open and closed modes is negligible.

Its a fully engineered, high quality system gauranteed to please the owner for years. Granted, it wont spit fire - like craig's straight pipes, but at least it will pass smog (if they actually test an AWD TT).

Let me know if you guys want to run another test.

Actually maybe what we should do this time is send all the exhausts to germany so that the american brands can attempt TUV certification. Wherein not only must they be proven to work, but also tested for noise and emissions compliance.

Either way, competition is great as it pushes us ALL forwards.

By the way, there's a tech test in this months Luxury and Modified Exotics...check it out, and our vids too. My favorite is the first - "rolling thunder".

Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Fabspeed was my favorite when I had the car, perfect sound and the "drone" was NOT bad at all.

Bajo

Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
What is everyone's opinion of the Europipe? Not the greatest power gain, (18 hp) but a beautiful sound and construction.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sharkster
Maybe the flow was so good and he didn't have sufficient full and the ECU cut back a bunch of timing, boost etc... I've never heard of a turbo car "loosing" power with a straight pipe, no cat etc.. over a muffler, cat and/or any other type of back pressure adding exhaust...
my guess is air pressure. w/ straight pipes in our cars, the exhaust is only 12 inchs long (?) or so. the exhaust isn't really "heated" (hot exhaust flows faster) b/c the exhaust is so short; so paradoxically, the exhaust flows slower w/ the straight pipes (and thus you lose power.)

all theory, mind you....

i'm experiencing a similar problem w/ my supra right now. the midpipe right after the turbo cracked, basically giving me half an open exhaust. but the lag has increased by 500rpm.

- chuck

Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
calcareer is infamous around these parts
Here are the actual results:

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Exhaust Results.doc (29.0 KB, 331 views)
Old 07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
It would be very interesting to have my exhaust in the next shootout. I would think it would show quite well.

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 993RSClubsport
HI Its Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports

Obviously "CRAIG" race systems with no cats and 3.0" tubing will support Gigantic power.........BUT that was not out yet and is "outrageous" in terms of realistic street exhaust tuning.
I completely agree. My exhaust is inappropriate for mass consumption and cannot be marketed as part of a “tuning” package. It is not street legal and it is overkill for most people. Then again, it is capable of “gigantic” power and that is exactly what it was designed for.

IMHO, the Fabspeed Loud is the best available exhaust for those seeking good power from an off-the-shelf product inventoried and readily available. My exhaust is something entirely different, custom made for those that want “gigantic” power that is not readily available off-the-shelf. That being said, Fast Intentions has recently received many inquiries about my exhaust and rumor has it that Fast Intentions may create a jig and make the exhaust more readily available (perhaps even sold by a board sponsor).

Craig

Last edited by Craig; 07-25-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NAPO
IMO straight pipes is the way to go
Only of you don’t mind your ears bleeding. Just ask Sharky. I choose straight through racing mufflers to get some sound attenuation, while maintaining a straight, uninterrupted exhaust flow similar to straight pipes. The best of both worlds.

Craig

Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by ECB
Of course the real superiority that the variotune has over all other "competitors" is that allows the selection of either a "loud" setting or the quieter "sport" setting. The beauty of the system is that unlike the fine Kreis-seg, the 9ff's valves are entirely behind the cats. As such, the only diversion involves the mufflers.
I have never seen a 9ff Variotune, so I cannot comment on it. However, most of the valved/switchable exhausts that I have seen have a common design shortcoming. The valve is half way through the pipe running parallel to the cat/muffler, such that, when the valve is closed, the exhaust flow is permitted to travel down the pipe to the closed valve, thereby creating resistance/turbulence, and when the value is open, the exhaust flow is still split between two open pipes, with some of the exhaust flow traveling through the cat/muffler. IMHO, this design is not optimal in either the open or closed position.

Originally Posted by ECB
Granted, it wont spit fire - like craig's straight pipes
I have never spit fire, and I do not have straight pipes.

Craig

Last edited by Craig; 07-25-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
What is everyone's opinion of the Europipe? Not the greatest power gain, (18 hp) but a beautiful sound and construction.
Beautiful sound, great construction, larger piping than many other exhausts, good power gain, retains restrictive chamber muffler.

Craig

Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 PM
GHOSTRIDER-TT is infamous around these partsGHOSTRIDER-TT is infamous around these parts
I am very happy with my Fabspeed Supersport GT2 Loud.
Sounds great!

Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I had fabspeed LOUD from FVd- but it was fabspeed.. I bought it about 4 years ago.. great exhaust..... only one note: the flanges holding the exhaust tot he frame could have been made better( design?)- I had to weld it twice...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-25-2006, 11:56 PM
fmarrero is infamous around these parts
Hi,

In our case using the normal 93 pump program the staright pipes we created against the exhaust portion of the turbine, without using any kind of mufflers, yields to a gain of 29 hp to the wheel.

Francisco

Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I would love to know how my FVD race stacks up against the competition, i love it!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Evan333 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I would love to know how my FVD race stacks up against the competition, i love it!
Stop wishing you had the Race exhaust and just buy mine You can pick up my race for $2500 bux and just sell your Export for $2,000 or so! Come on for $500 bux!!!
Evan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which exhaust yields the most power?