996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question on AFR/boost gauge setup etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EXPLICIT
One last question.

Do the TTs have a factory knock sensor? If not, anyone use one?
Yes it does... thats what pulls the timing... and too much timing causes the engine to pop.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
woolyg is infamous around these partswoolyg is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Mark is that what Todd did on your car???

Old 08-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Spend the extra time and counter set those gauges! It makes a huge difference from something that sticks out to something that looks as if it should be there. Mine were flush with the panel.
Stephen - do you have any pictures of your setup? I need to get something quick to log boost & AFR's.

I'm confused on many levels: 1) What data logger to get. 2) What gauges to get. 3.) Where / how to mount the gauges.

Do any of these things log data to a compact flash card, or do you need to be a lap top?

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
Stephen - do you have any pictures of your setup? I need to get something quick to log boost & AFR's.

I'm confused on many levels: 1) What data logger to get. 2) What gauges to get. 3.) Where / how to mount the gauges.

Do any of these things log data to a compact flash card, or do you need to be a lap top?

Thanks, Mike
www.zeitronix.com is what you need for datalogging. does boost, AFR, Lamda, EGT, RPM, and TPS. you can use a laptop of pda to review datalogging. you can also purchase the display to show 4 values real time which includes a peak hold setting.

it's been big in the 944 turbo community on rennlist for a long time. i'm using it on my SC'd C2. not sure why the 996 TT guys haven't been using this unit. great bang for the buck and does exactly what it advertises. the display looks pretty good too, but it's completely optional. to do it over again, i probably would have not gotten the display as i never really look at it much especially when driving fast. the data logging however has been very helpful with tuning and diagnosing my car on the dyno.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Here's mine:
Autometer A/F, EGT and boost. Autometer shift light

Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Does anyone make or use a pillar mount for their gauges? I do not want to lose my storage space in the center stack?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:12 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Gunther,

I am going through the same thought process and have ordered this wide band AFR gauge, complete with Bosch sensor, all necessary wires, bung, etc.

It's a 6-in one look, so you can play with the face plates and bezels for various effects

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/aem/uego-gauge.html

But now I am considering this GReddy gauge as an alternative.

http://www.optionimports.com/16000826.html

Any advice on which of these two to go with? or other better gauge options?

For a mount, I am going to use a real carbon fiber A-pillar single gauge mount. I have a full carbon interior, so I think it will blend well and look better than the typical black plastic. The one shown below is for an Eclipse. I am inquiring as to whether they can make one for the 996. If they can't, I am going to buy the eclipse version and attempt to heat form/fit it - it's about $100.00.

http://www.carbontrix.com/apillars.htm

Last edited by John D; 08-11-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
John - awsome post!

Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
do any of these gauges datalog though?

Old 08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Deputy,

They would have to be connected to a data logger. You're right, the gauges look cool, but after looking into your Zietronix unit, I think I am going to go that route. It seems to address a lot of issues in one small package.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Can this gauge be connected to a Zetronics, or any other Logger? I would like to get this set up in a A-Pillar mount.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:24 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Mike, will you stop spending! lol

Old 08-12-2006, 06:24 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Getting very jealous now

Old 08-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
You should all just get a Greedy Profec E-01... Have had those in 3 or 4 cars now... THE BEST... its a little small screen... RECORDS EVERYTHING.. even records it onto a SD card... the best thing is though... Lets say you want to see how long it takes u to run a quater of a mile... Well its simple... mark out a quater of a mile... start the recorder... once you start to drive it marks it for you and when u cross the 1/4 mile marker let off the gas... I really think its the best Boost/ controller out there... its just insane..and hella cheap...

also it looks kool if you place it somewhere nice... comes in grey but can be painted black like mine..

CIAO

Old 08-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Zippy,

I had the exact same thought and I am looking into it. I emailed zeitronix that question earlier today, but have not heard back yet. I will let you know what I find out.

Also, the carbon fiber guy said they are too busy for one-offs right now and he would look for a stock single mount design (they have a few) that would be a close fit for the 996TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question on AFR/boost gauge setup etc