996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wing: CF or fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:53 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Wing: CF or fiberglass?

I found a good deal on a fiberglass wing. Just wondering if there is any real benefit to CF? I am going to paint it. Im thinking the glass is going to be heavier but the seller says they are about the same. What do you guys think?

Old 07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
I found a good deal on a fiberglass wing. Just wondering if there is any real benefit to CF? I am going to paint it. Im thinking the glass is going to be heavier but the seller says they are about the same. What do you guys think?
What's up buddy, if your going to paint it do not waste the extra few hundred on the wing, BTW fiberglass in most cases can be lighter then CF, i would assume a fiberglass wing would be lighter then a CF wing!

Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 PM
orijinal_poser is infamous around these parts
i believe CF will be lighter. and leaving it raw CF will give a nice contrast....

plus, CF is much stronger than fiberglass.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:34 PM
SDEVILTT is infamous around these parts
I have recently seen a fiberglass version of the GT2 replacement wing blade. Fiberglass flexes way to much thats why I went with a CF version-- JOE

Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SDEVILTT
I have recently seen a fiberglass version of the GT2 replacement wing blade. Fiberglass flexes way to much thats why I went with a CF version-- JOE
That would be pretty lame to see a 996tt with a bending wing go by. Guess I better get the CF!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:50 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
That would be pretty lame to see a 996tt with a bending wing go by. Guess I better get the CF!
I highly doubt it would ever flex in general when bolted on unless you put pressure by leaning on it, especially where you wont be seeing it if it did slightly!

Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 AM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
If you go with the cf, dont paint, and if fiberclass, paint is a must

Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 PM
SDEVILTT is infamous around these parts
Make sure if you are going to install the CF wing unpainted that have a body shop clear coat the wing. This will prolong the look, after time the sun will still discolor the wing. As for the flexing of the fiberglass wing that I saw. It might have just a bad copy of the GT2 wing blade. I actually tapped on the wing and made it flex-- I didn't see the car in motion. I have the Ma Shaw GT2 wing blade replacement in CF. Have a good one

Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
I have a CF wing and had it coated for protection. I prefer the look but the way CF prices are on the rise you might save a good chunk by just going with the FG version.

-Eli

Old 07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
The CF wing is probably slightly lighter and slightly stronger than a fiberglass wing. The other big advantage over a CF wing is that in most cases it's already clearcoated and able to be installed right away if you arent gonna paint it. Fiberglass wings will need some prep work (sanding, etc) before the paint. That is why I bought a CF Techart Style wing and a CF GT2 wing.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
The CF wing is probably slightly lighter and slightly stronger than a fiberglass wing. The other big advantage over a CF wing is that in most cases it's already clearcoated and able to be installed right away if you arent gonna paint it. Fiberglass wings will need some prep work (sanding, etc) before the paint. That is why I bought a CF Techart Style wing and a CF GT2 wing.
i would think that CF is MUCH stronger than fiberglass.....

many cheap aftermarket body kits are made in fiberglass (especially bumpers) and they break very easily. thats why the preferred material for body parts is either ABS plastic or urethane. and i'm thinking CF is stronger than all of the mentioned.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by orijinal_poser
i would think that CF is MUCH stronger than fiberglass.....

many cheap aftermarket body kits are made in fiberglass (especially bumpers) and they break very easily. thats why the preferred material for body parts is either ABS plastic or urethane. and i'm thinking CF is stronger than all of the mentioned.
True, it just depends on how many layers and how thick the CF....obviously the thicker the CF layers the stronger the wing will be. The CF will not crack as easily as the FG wing thats for sure.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
True, it just depends on how many layers and how thick the CF....obviously the thicker the CF layers the stronger the wing will be. The CF will not crack as easily as the FG wing thats for sure.
agreed!!.......

Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I don't thing Porsche ever considered using FG instead of CF for it's CGT.. "Give me a break!!" There is a reason why it's more expensive: LIGHTER & STRONGER.....

-Eli

Old 07-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
I definitely would go with the CF wing and leave it unpainted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wing: CF or fiberglass?