996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ANyone here buying a Carrera GT??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:19 AM
LV Eric is a name known to allLV Eric is a name known to allLV Eric is a name known to allLV Eric is a name known to allLV Eric is a name known to allLV Eric is a name known to all
The GT2 hurt bad, real bad. There it sits I havent driven it a mile in 6 months hoping that it will be worth more. I have no desire to drive it cant bear to take the hit. It was the most expensive 1998 miles I have ever driven. Almost the Bentley Azure Mulliner was a bit worse but not by much.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:10 AM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
It would be nice to just drive it and not worry about it. To the grocery store, to the gym, to the bank, to work, to play golf, etc.
Thats the way it should be used....no matter what car it is...if it cant be driven every day then whats the purpose of owning it. I just dont understand owning a car and not enjoying it.....nobody knows when your days are over....live while you can.

I would much rather drive the wheels off a car than save it for someone else to drive the wheels off of it.

Old 01-17-2004, 05:28 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Sometimes enjoying a car is just knowing its in your garage and going and staring at it everyday

Old 01-18-2004, 06:06 AM
barev is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by flatsixnut
Thats the way it should be used....no matter what car it is...if it cant be driven every day then whats the purpose of owning it. I just dont understand owning a car and not enjoying it.....nobody knows when your days are over....live while you can.

I would much rather drive the wheels off a car than save it for someone else to drive the wheels off of it.
Yup, that's the way it should be. But sadly people who can afford a CGT are most likely people who will worry extensively about milage, resale value, etc.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:57 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
It would be nice to just drive it and not worry about it. To the grocery store, to the gym, to the bank, to work, to play golf, etc.
I have not had the same life experiences. Although I have had many exotics over the years, they all tend to lose their excitement, as far as I'm concerned, if used day in and day out. It's like they are nothing special after awhile. So why ruin the excitement by making that special car your everyday driver.

Last edited by cjv; 01-18-2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:30 AM
cporterfield is infamous around these parts
Sounds like some of you guys get bored/spoiled too easily. My TT is my daily driver, and I absolutely love driving it and do not tire of being in it or looking at it. If I could afford a CGT, I would drive it the same way and love every second. The way I see it, if you can afford to buy the car, then you should be able to afford its loss in value. If you cannot afford the loss in value, then you probably could not afford the car to begin with. last, the cure to depreciation is to keep the car. And I think that rule should espcially apply to a CGT.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:45 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
" If you cannot afford the loss in value, then you probably could not afford the car to begin with. last, the cure to depreciation is to keep the car. And I think that rule should espcially apply to a CGT."

something you're not considering is an accident of any decent magnitude (ie: some cel phone talking dumbass in an SUV at the intersection) will probably put the CGT down for a year+! heck, good luck finding insurance on the thing which allows daily driving kinds of annual mileage and exposure. even the windshield should it get remotely as many cracks as my other daily drivers is going to be a ***** to get. i go thru tires on my 911 at a rate of appx once/year (3k miles ish) and expect i'll be waiting quite a while to even get to pay $6k for a new set for the CGT. this car just isn't as practical as the 911 turbo.

btw, this doesn't mean i won't enjoy it and drive the **** out of it!

Last edited by ben, lj; 01-18-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:48 AM
boston 7777 is infamous around these parts
I think once a CGT is in a decent accident, its a total, because of of the carbon fiber and kevlar chassis. Or something like that, Its just a car enjoy it and drive the **** out of it because if you can afford one you can can afford to drive it. In comparision there are some people who buy a Civic Si and think they are in heaven and baby the car, its all realitve, if I had a civic I would smash it! haha

Old 01-18-2004, 09:54 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Sounds like some of you guys get bored/spoiled too easily.
I have to disagree with you on this one. Doing the same thing everyday takes the specialness off of anything. Sure, you may like it, but it is impossible to appreciate to the same extent.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:31 AM
jasonvp is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
I have to disagree with you on this one. Doing the same thing everyday takes the specialness off of anything. Sure, you may like it, but it is impossible to appreciate to the same extent.
Newbie here, but thought I'd chime in on this thread. It's very interesting.

I tend to agree with those that say, "Drive the **** out of it." It's a car for Christ's sake, not something that's going to keep its value well. Regardless of how expensive or rare it was when you first bought it. Anyone who's good with money will tell you: cars are NOT good investments. Stop treating them like one.

I've had the same car for almost five years now, and it still puts a broad grin on my face whenever I mash the throttle down and roar away, or set myself up for a corner and nail the apex perfectly. So I don't agree that it's "impossible to appreciate it to the same extent." It sounds like folks just get too bored too quickly and don't truly appreciate what they have under their right foot.

jas

Old 01-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
I understand what CJV is saying, I get bored with a car that I have for over two years. Although I could never ever get bored with a CGT, Saleen S7, Murcialago, Enzo and so on.

Any Enzo or 360 is a good investment if you keep low miles on it (and you bot it for MSRP). I know of someone who had a '01 360 Cab with about 10k miles on it, and he traded it in for a brand new '03 360 cab and paid nothing out of pocket.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:51 AM
jasonvp is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by mehrabani1
I understand what CJV is saying, I get bored with a car that I have for over two years. Although I could never ever get bored with a CGT, Saleen S7, Murcialago, Enzo and so on.
I guess there are two different schools of thought on how to enjoy an automobile. I attend the school that teaches "drive the damned thing!" The other school seems to teach enjoyment through showing the car off, or gazing at it while it's in a hermetically sealed glass container (I exaggerate for humor.)

Any Enzo or 360 is a good investment if you keep low miles on it (and you bot it for MSRP). I know of someone who had a '01 360 Cab with about 10k miles on it, and he traded it in for a brand new '03 360 cab and paid nothing out of pocket.
Generally, that's an exception not the rule. Cars are notorious for loosing value the moment you've signed the papers for them.

I agree with a previous post that says if you can't afford to drive them daily, you probably can't really afford to own them. Just MHO though.

jas

Old 01-18-2004, 02:29 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Im not tired of either of my P-cars....and there old. I am also not tired of having sex every day with the same woman for 6 years.

To each their own. Its all good.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:08 PM
deanger is infamous around these parts
The CGT is too low with too much overhang to be driven every day or very often around town... And remember, I'm the guy was using his GT2 as his daily driver in LA, so I am not exactly conservative on this subject.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
For those of you who get bored of your cars after two years, I say buy two of them!! One in silver and one in red!!

While you may have to find another wife, you will stay interested in your $450 buck cars for a longer period of time.

With regard to that sex comment......Hmmm as a real "car guy" it certainly is a toss up what is better....opening my garage door and taking out a toy or tossing in the sheets.

Maybe I'll sell the S and TT and get the CGT...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ANyone here buying a Carrera GT??