996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Sportec Lip Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
My Sportec Lip Mod

I ordered a Sportec Lip from Rival Motorsports. Little by little this car will look like the poster car for Sportec . Anyway I had it painted last week it was available for pick up today. The think looks SICK! I am having the skirt on the bottom of my driveway repoured to accomodate the new lip and lowered suspension. The concrete guys come out on Friday. Since the peice is FG and it is bound to scrape I went to Home Depot and bought some materials to make my own skid plate. First I made my stencils and then transfered them to the aluminum plates. I cut the plates with a jigsaw and removed the burrs with a dremel. I then drilled out the holes and started riveting the suckers on. I went CRAZY with the rivets tha I had a 4 left out of the box. Back to HD to pick up more tomorrow. Anyway here is the skid plate. If you need Sportec stuff call Scott at Rival (
www.rivalmotorsport.com ) he will take care of you. He has hooked me up with a bunch of stuff. I have 19" Sportec wheels coming in a week or two! It is going to look sick!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Holy riviting batman! Nice job Eric, that your having driveway fixed to accomdate the front bumper! I'd do the same

Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Yes, but you would probably do it yourself!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:36 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
good job eric. now clearbra that skid plate.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Yes, but you would probably do it yourself!
This is true Robert Hey are you going to Concorso Italiano?
August 18th?

Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Cognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant future
Going good direction with Sportec.
Clean & classy period!!!
Post some picts when you finish with your wheel.
Can't wait to see...

Old 08-09-2006, 08:14 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
why all the rivets? just curious!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
SANDOVAL,

You keep yours cars in pristine condition. Very awesome. I could tell by your bumper and also by the pics you've posted of your Turbo and the ex Carrera that you're **** just like me.

"Repouring driveway skirt to accomodate lip." That takes the cake.

Looking forward to the finished product bud. I personally don't think it'll ever be finished.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the kind words guys I apreciate it! Yes Sportec makes some fantastic looking products I have always loved there stuff. Why so many Rivets? hmmm well A that **** is not going anywere C. Adding additional fasteners to the bumper and lip. The lip is bonded onto the bumper with body shop industrial epoxy B. How often do you get to use your Rivet gun?

I like C the best! I will definatley post some pics when I get everything on.Will it ever be finished? It is a matter of it's done when It is sold. I am in love with this car so for now no plans to sell. I am very happy with the car.

Last summer we had pavers laid and the driveway widened up to the garage. The skirt of your driveway in the Historic Neighborhood I live in can only be concrete so we were not able to do the sirt in pavers. So I put it off last summer as it was in ok condition. The problem we have is it is a skirt from the 40's-50's-maybe 60's who knows. It is narrow and the end are short so getting our denali in the driveway requires you to take a really wide turn or else you pop up the corner wich is tall and short. The other problem is the street is very bowed for snow and rain purposes. So going straight in your rear is up and the nose is down. I really need to go in at an angle. By repouring the skirt I can widen the entry we will also be fixing the incline a bit too. Anyway it is something that had to be done eventually this was just a good reason to do it

Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Did the bottom skirt of my rear drive last year, told the guy I want to be like Sharky and do the ghetto slide. He laughed.

Car's not that low, but sheeeeaaat I can slam in there in 2nd on the way in, at speed, with NO problems. Of course if I lower it or add a lip, I doubt it will hold.

On the skid plates, nice job. But beware, one kick on the corners of that FG lip (where the skid plates won't help, above them), and it will be time for repairs.

Drive safe.

Nice job.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Tom@Brandywine is infamous around these parts
looks good Eric, glad that you are happy with the Sportec stuff. Your wheels are coming shortly!

Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Sandoval,
Nice job, draggin the front in your own driveway is the pits. Don't know where you live but, be aware especially given your description of the neighborhood (and street crown angle) that the city may have something to say about your driveway lip change.
I am in the planning stages of a garage make-over to house my vehicles that will include a driveway change similar to your description. This will require the hiring a city surveyor to conduct a study and approve my plans. Things we need to do to protect the front of our rides, right?
GL with the project.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I know this is for extra security but I would rather rip the lip back off, than possibly damaging the whole bumper! These bumpers ain't connected/attached very well in my opinion!

BTW nice lip!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned by Moderators
Yeah am I in no way saying the skid plates will eliminate damage. Just added protection against scrapes. The neighborhood I live in dates back to the late 1800's my home is from the 1920's. All of the homes are custom so every skirt for the most part was poured at different times and unique. No association to deal with etc. the concrete contractor said there were no issues he has worked in the neighborhood for 20 years so I am trusting what he says. If this were a masterplanned community I would be screwed. The city does require the skirt and sidewalk in front of the house to be concrete.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned by Moderators
The lip is bonded to the bumper so if the lip is ripped off the bumper is coming with it at that point I will have bigger issues to deal with. This is mainly protecting against scrapes like the boomerang skid plate sold at places like performance products or other retailers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Sportec Lip Mod