996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Answer this question: Why I bought a Porsche 996 turbo.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Answer this question: Why I bought a Porsche 996 turbo.

This seems like an interesting question to find out why you all bought a 996 turbo in the first place.

For me in 1986 I owned a NSX and loved the car but it was just not fast enough and too hard to modify. I ended up test driving a 993 turbo and it was all over. Bought my 993 turbo put 30,000 miles on it in 3 years and loved it. Then went racing sold the turbo and bought a 2000 Jag XKR convertible and loved that. When I stopped racing at the end of 2000 I missed having a car I could take to the track.

Went to Detroit and test drove a 996 turbo and again had to have one. I have owned my 996 turbo for about 1 year now and have 22,000 miles and love every minute of it!

NEXT??

Old 01-14-2004, 09:17 AM
maxiter is infamous around these parts
Lemme answer it with a different twist: why I got a 993 Turbo.

I started off with an 00 Boxster as the first new car that I bought. Of course, it was far less of a car than any Turbo, but it was certainly enough of an experience to conclude "Hey, I like this. Gimme a fast one."

I had an order in on a 996TT that I would have taken delivery on back in April of 03. I decided against it and started shopping around.

My personal preference of style has always been with the 993TT, although I do like the more agressive styling of the 996TT front end. Performance wise, negligable difference between the two. It seems like there's far more tuning options for the 996TT, and if my objective were to tune heavily, I wouldn't have picked the 993TT.

993TTs had much lower production numbers, and that's something I liked. Amongst that, the style, and my belief that the 993TTs will hold value better, I came to that decision. There's also the "last of the air-cooled" crap that people like to talk so much about. It's a nice fact worthy of some nostalgia, but it wasn't part of my decision.

First test drive I took of a 993TT, it was all over. I was going to have one.

I like what I got, and I'd never trade it for a newer 996TT. That's nothing against 996TTs either. I've seen plenty of your guys cars first hand, and they are indeed spectacular. I'll continue to look at them with awe and hold them in the high regard they deserve.

But I like what I like.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM
john revis is infamous around these parts
In one word...BOOST Anyone go back to the early 930 days with CIS? My first was a '76 (yeah, I know) when lag was profound. No intercooler and a $100 wastegate spring to make one bar. Very high oil temps, headpipes that became swiss cheese, and valve guides that disappeared. Then came the intercooled cars with drilled rotors. Wow Then modifying to bigger turbos and changing to electronic injection. Twin turbos, what a concept. And with all this, boost is the constant, and I still want 1.1 in my GT2. It certainly is addictive.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Andrew708
One word sums it up......"sickness"

Old 01-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
I used to fly jets in the military and this is the only thing that comes close to a deck launch off a carrier.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
LOL Ken

Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
My first Porsche was a 2001 Guards Red C2 Cab I liked the upright driving position and total feel of the rear engined car. Coming from a 700HP+ supra, I imagined what this + torque must feel like. Within a week, I placed an order for a Black 996 AWD Turbo which arrived 5 months later. The turbo also was a trophy for putting in 19hour work days and hard work smack in the midst of the stressful dot com era. Been in love with Porsche ever since. I will always own one. Whats next? Carrera GT for sure! .........knock on wood.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Kurt RSF is infamous around these parts
I saw my first Turbo Carrera in 1977 on the road, and was blown away. I then had a chance to drive a '76 930 in 1980, and couldn't believe the boost! I couldn't afford it, though.

Years later, still wanting my first 911, I bought a lightly used '95 Carrera in 1996. It bought it as a weekend car, but I loved it so much I got on the list for a new '97 993TT. I got that in the Spring of '97 and drove it 3 years and put 39,000 miles on it! In the meantime I put myself on the list for a 996TT when they came out.

I got my first 996TT in December 2000, and after a little over a year ordered an X50. Got that in August 2002, and am still driving it.

Why did I buy them? Because they're outrageous, and I love things or ideas that are so outrageous they make me laugh!

Oh yeah, the incredible sensation of acceleration doesn't exactly suck, either.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I have a list of things that I look for in a sports car, and the Turbo met more of these items than any other sports car available. Some of the items I look for (not in any order)...

*Looks
*Engine placement
*Driving position
*Sight lines
*Build quality
*Performance
*The feel of each individual driving control
*The balance of each driving control relative to each other
*Number of seats
*Ability to modify
*Exclusivity
*All weather capability

Old 01-14-2004, 12:32 PM
steve c is infamous around these parts
I needed room for a kid. This is the first car I have owned in a few years with a back seat (if you want to call it that).

Old 01-14-2004, 01:12 PM
turbo03 is infamous around these parts
It was essentially by default.
I had a 430HP heavily modded 300zx and loved it. Always wondered how much better a car could be......
Was in love with Ferrari's since age 6.
I went shopping for a 355 and was very enamoured with the style and engine sound. Was 2k away from a deal on a gorgeous car, but then got some feedback from someone on the boards that had both a 355 and a TT.
(Mr Doody!)
We spoke on the phone, and by the end of the call I decided the Turbo was a better choice for me living in El Paso, far from any exotic dealers. I ordered an X50 that day.
10 thousand happy miles later I have NO REGRETS!

Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
Cause I wanted the "Bling Bling" and couldn't get a Mclaren F1 XP1 LM

Old 01-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
always have loved Porsches since childhood, but couldn't afford one till last year

Owned a 2002 M3 cabrio at the time, business was picking up, and I had a chance to upgrade to a C4S and did it - business continued to be good, so I had another chance to upgrade to the turbo

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 01-14-2004, 03:15 PM
lcheng is infamous around these parts
My first Porsche is a 00 C2 Cab. Sold it in 03 and replaced it with the TTX50. things I look for in a sports car are:
1. car image
2. exterior styling
3. acceleration
4. handling
5. drivability
The 996 TT excel in items 1,3,4 and 5. the only alternative I considered at that time is the 360 but my wife talked me out of it.
As for my next car, I am becoming more and more skeptical about the 997 TT. maybe a Gallardo will suit me better.
Lawrence

Old 01-14-2004, 03:25 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: Answer this question: Why I bought a Porsche 996 turbo.

Originally posted by buddyg
Then went racing sold the turbo and bought a 2000 Jag XKR convertible and loved that.
Seems like we're not only both nuts but had the same cars at the same time In Jan 2000 I had a Platinum XKR Conv as well.... Nice nice car. Great GT with good torque for back then....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Answer this question: Why I bought a Porsche 996 turbo.