996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock boost vs. Chipped boost on an X50 911T, problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:18 AM
achilles99 is infamous around these parts
Yep, finally figured it out...

X50 turbos max out at 1bar boost. The Upsolute program is set to go higher, but our cars can't take more boost without modifications (I changed to new diverters, didn't help). My guess is it's a wastegate issue. I had the program removed, since the difference over stock X50 wasn't too much (torque curve and spoolup times better) for my tastes. Then again, I had a 1000 hp Viper which may have skewed my judgement.

Bottom line... if you have a stock 911 turbo, and you're only hitting .6 bar, it's worth it. If you're already hitting 1 bar, then it might not be worth it until you can setup the car to handle more boost.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:45 AM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
So are you saying unless you do intake and exhaust save your money? I also have the x50 and would like faster spoolup and more low end torque. I am not overly concerned about peak horsepower. Although 475AWHP would be a nice compromise.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 AM
I don't think intake or exhaust will give you better top end (ie, higher boost levels)... the boost is limited by something else, and my guess is the wastegate.

You will definitely get faster spoolup, no doubt about that. That would imply more low-end torque, too. Talk to your local Upsolute dealer, they may offer a money-back guarantee like my local installer did.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by achilles99
I don't think intake or exhaust will give you better top end (ie, higher boost levels)... the boost is limited by something else, and my guess is the wastegate.

You will definitely get faster spoolup, no doubt about that. That would imply more low-end torque, too. Talk to your local Upsolute dealer, they may offer a money-back guarantee like my local installer did.
Thanks for all the input. Any idea on the cost of new wastegates?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
ritchieswimwear is infamous around these parts
Something is not right

I am by far not an expert here, but you should be hitting at least 1. bar and spiking 1.1 in cool weather. When I first got flashed I was easily hitting .9, 1.0 (non X50) even without an exhaust. I had my turbo flashed before I put an exhaust, diverters, and evo intake, it was boosting better than 1.0 without all that stuff. With all that stuff I still boost 1.0, 1.1, just a little faster

Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
P.S., I have not touched the waste gates

Old 11-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by ritchieswimwear
I am by far not an expert here, but you should be hitting at least 1. bar and spiking 1.1 in cool weather. When I first got flashed I was easily hitting .9, 1.0 (non X50) even without an exhaust. I had my turbo flashed before I put an exhaust, diverters, and evo intake, it was boosting better than 1.0 without all that stuff. With all that stuff I still boost 1.0, 1.1, just a little faster
What were your boost levels before the flash?

On the X50's, most of them boost to 1 bar from the factory. I was told that the Upsolute could boost higher... that may be true, but requires some tinkering with the wastegates (which I believe limits the car to 1 bar).

Here's one option on stronger wastegates:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t=63581&page=7

Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 AM
.6 sometimes .7, hot in florida. With your car with a flash I think you should see 1. almost every time and 1.1 often, not .9 which I think is normal for an x50, so why flash it to get no results?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 AM
.6 sometimes .7, hot in florida. With your car with a flash I think you should see 1. almost every time and 1.1 often, not .9 which I think is normal for an x50, so why flash it to get no results?
That's my point... don't flash it for top end hp (since max boost level will remain the same), but if you want a fatter torque curve and better boost response then it might be worth it.

If you want more top end hp, it will be necessary to replace the factory wastegate along with the flash tune, IMHO.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
you guys are mixing up too many things. The k-24 turbos stock boost to 0.9. after ECU flash and with good diverters and wastegate springs (I have the EVO diverters and wastegates) the car boosts and holds 1.2 bar.
Well worth the above. I also have the REVO flash.
Take your car to a REVO dealer and get the 5 hour free test flash, you will see 1.2 bar out of the parking lot, and more low end torque than you would believe this car has.
good luck

Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
thanks, that's what I have been trying to tell him

Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
thanks, that's what I have been trying to tell him
Trying to tell me, or to cpu77? What Tom said is exactly what I said... if it isn't, let me know which post of mine confused you so I can correct it.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
you guys are mixing up too many things. The k-24 turbos stock boost to 0.9. after ECU flash and with good diverters and wastegate springs (I have the EVO diverters and wastegates) the car boosts and holds 1.2 bar.
Well worth the above. I also have the REVO flash.
Take your car to a REVO dealer and get the 5 hour free test flash, you will see 1.2 bar out of the parking lot, and more low end torque than you would believe this car has.
good luck
Just to clarify... you will not get 1.2 bar out of just the flash. You HAVE to have the stiffer wastegate springs to see anything higher than 1 bar consistently.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Your X50 should show .9 to 1.0 bar stock. With the flash it should show 1.1 to 1.2 bar. If its showing 1.0 after the flash there is a problem somewhere or you need to adjust your gates. This is just from my experience and what I see as an Upsolute Dealer/tuner. K24's can easily make 17 psi without issue. Here is a Dyno plot of my friends Car I did last week. If there is anything I can do to help you resolve this issue let me know.

http://www.myvividracing.com/gallery...p?i=3844&c=176

Clark Turner

Old 11-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
Your X50 should show .9 to 1.0 bar stock. With the flash it should show 1.1 to 1.2 bar. If its showing 1.0 after the flash there is a problem somewhere or you need to adjust your gates. This is just from my experience and what I see as an Upsolute Dealer/tuner. K24's can easily make 17 psi without issue. Here is a Dyno plot of my friends Car I did last week. If there is anything I can do to help you resolve this issue let me know.

http://www.myvividracing.com/gallery...p?i=3844&c=176

Clark Turner
PLEASE share what adjustment can be made to the gates to get more than 1.0 bar consistently. I asked this question on 3 different boards, and the consensus was that a new wastegate would be needed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock boost vs. Chipped boost on an X50 911T, problem?