996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2WD conversion - Traction issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:16 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
Agreed .......
Soon fella's very soon! Here was one of us coming out of the twisties onto a main straight, rs4 took off in front of me, then onto me and GT2 and a 140mph run This is just a teaser Steve (who rode with me and took an hour and a half worth of video footage) made!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHsshqPjos&NR

Edit: Here is the minor footage of the twisties, before we really started cranking around the turns at crazy speeds and acceleration coming out of them, damm all of these teaser's are even killing me LOL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDyhtMvHnXo

Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Soon fella's very soon! Here was one of us coming out of the twisties onto a main straight, rs4 took off in front of me, then onto me and GT2 and a 140mph run This is just a teaser Steve (who rode with me and took an hour and a half worth of video footage) made!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHsshqPjos&NR

Edit: Here is the minor footage of the twisties, before we really started cranking around the turns at crazy speeds and acceleration coming out of them, damm all of these teaser's are even killing me LOL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDyhtMvHnXo
Get ready for your rep power to start dropping. Didnt you know? No speeding allowed on 6speedonline

Old 08-18-2006, 08:55 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Salespunk
I think he is trying to say that any real sports car has an LSD.

Kiko, get the LSD and you will be amazed at how well your car handles. Without it, you are just spinning the inside rear wheel through turns. The real traction is with the outside wheel and the only way to take advantage of that is an LSD.

Also remember that you are running traction control software that was written in 1998. That is the reason it is so sensitive. Previous TC software would not allow ANY slip angles in the car. With the 997 the software allows up to 15 or 20 degrees of slip angle before intervention. Subsequently you can throw the cars around much more without the TC software slowing down the fun.
Exaktly

A 2wd high power car without LSD makes me smile..

Old 08-18-2006, 02:03 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SMR
Exaktly

A 2wd high power car without LSD makes me smile..
I discused this once with Todd K. and he said that in high HP applications the RWD 996tt actually does better with an open diff than a GT2 LSD because the LSD tends to steer the car in a unpleasant way. Thats just my interpretation of what he said, but I believe him.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:17 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
I discused this once with Todd K. and he said that in high HP applications the RWD 996tt actually does better with an open diff than a GT2 LSD because the LSD tends to steer the car in a unpleasant way. Thats just my interpretation of what he said, but I believe him.
Of course people will like it the other way, because its scarier and spins more, my car really puts down the power like its still AWD< ts great in that sense!

Old 08-18-2006, 06:40 PM
orijinal_poser is infamous around these parts
that just baffles me that for a car that is $130k, porsche didn't bother to put in a rear LSD..... i guess they figured no one would be doing RWD conversions

Old 08-19-2006, 04:51 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Are you yoking..?

Say any highpower Rwd car that not have a LSD, the 996 tt doesn have it becouse it's 4wd

Old 08-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
He told me the same thing... and hes already done my RWD conversion... and Ill have at least 2x the Stock HP.
we will see.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 08-19-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
I personnally don't agree with the LSD making the car difficult to drive. You just need to get a bit used to it and do some changes to your suspension and car settings to keep understeer at bay. Once you have it right and you ge quickly used to it, it is by far faster everywhere, turns and straights. In the wet you need to be a bit more careful when braking. A high torque car in 2WD mode and no LSD is not drivable, unsafe, and a waste of rubber. I used to slide 100 feet coming out of turns on the track with semi race suspension and 315 slicks. I also had 4th gear grip losses at 100mph partly because of this, a stiff rear suspension and brutal boost onset.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:34 AM
SMR
Originally Posted by Jean
I personnally don't agree with the LSD making the car difficult to drive. You just need to get a bit used to it and do some changes to your suspension and car settings to keep understeer at bay. Once you have it right and you ge quickly used to it, it is by far faster everywhere, turns and straights. In the wet you need to be a bit more careful when braking. A high torque car in 2WD mode and no LSD is not drivable, unsafe, and a waste of rubber. I used to slide 100 feet coming out of turns on the track with semi race suspension and 315 slicks. I also had 4th gear grip losses at 100mph partly because of this, a stiff rear suspension and brutal boost onset.
The only thing that makes a 996 tt work without the LSd is becouse of it's has the weight over the wheels

Old 08-19-2006, 11:46 AM
orijinal_poser is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SMR
Are you yoking..?

Say any highpower Rwd car that not have a LSD, the 996 tt doesn have it becouse it's 4wd
no i'm joking.

even if it is 4wd, i would expect porsche to throw an LSD in an expensive car such as the turbo. it even shocks me that AMG didn't throw an LSD into their C32 & E55....

ok, you say b/c its awd it doesn't need LSD. what about the subaru STi & mitsubishi EVO? they have 3 LSD's and manual torque split capability. i think even the 1st & 2nd generation mitsubishi AWD eclipses had rear LSD. i'm fairly certain the nissan skyline has 3 LSD's as well.

open diff sucks coming out of corners, launching, etc... i would definitely slap in an LSD, even if staying 4wd, as the advantages are overwhelming.

Last edited by orijinal_poser; 08-19-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Are you kidding me?? MB even didnt put LSD in their CLS55's... they want $9500 for the "Performance Package" ... basically LSD and some other yoo-hoo's...

Old 08-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
2WD is very tempting ... although, you'll most likely read about me somewhere... perhaps even Page 1... of the Obits! ROFL

Old 08-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jean
Weird, i havent had any of those issues at all under hard acceleration and twisty driving, havent done a DE yet though being RWD, iw ill soon though!

Old 08-19-2006, 09:09 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Weird, i havent had any of those issues at all under hard acceleration and twisty driving, havent done a DE yet though being RWD, iw ill soon though!
Whats DE stand for again? I forget.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2WD conversion - Traction issues