996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2WD conversion - Traction issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:25 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
2WD conversion - Traction issues

I finally did the 2WD conversion and was impressed with the steering feel and power increase but as soon as I got into some 2nd and 3rd gear twisties the car just lacks the traction, the TC kicks in like mad and the whole point of doing this conversion is to have near GT2 performance with PSM so turning it off on the road is not an option. I don't recall hearing anyone else rant about this but to me unless I decide to go for a LSD, this issue will make me go back to 4WD.

P.S. Whats THE lsd to get (heard about Guards)? And what the price?

Last edited by kiko; 08-15-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
scotty slc is infamous around these parts
Kiko- What tires are you running?.... I had a similar experiance when I had my drive shaft disconnected, At the time I was running PS2's...

On my factory Hollow spokes I have SO2a's. I switched the wheels and tires, and have had no problems in the twisty's. I think I will be contacting Vipertestarossa soon to do the full conversion for me....

I think tire selection becomes an even bigger factor when running 2wd....

Whats your thoughts?

Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Kiko,

You have to get a good LSD, I don't know much about 996s but I would bet that the GT2 has a limited slip of 40/60, at least the 993GT2 had one. Guard is fantastic stuff, you can also go for the Motorsport ones.. You also need to upgrade some suspension components to harder rubber in the rear subframe. Under acceleration you will be getting some squat and nervousness otherwise, stiff suspenson settings will not help either if you have them.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Weird, im putting out over 500 RWHP and RWTQ and have no traction issues what so ever, its hot as hell here and im running 315 toyo proxes brand new, but still, no issues! I did have some spinning in 2nd gear straight line witht he stock pirelli's, but wait until you see the video i will have up, me, rs4, gt2 and viper in bear mountain twistie's, 5 minutes of all out driving, i have PSM off and not one traction problem or scary moment!

Old 08-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
How does the performance between the two cars compare, do you guys have any data for some 2nd-3rd gear acceleration runs? (not quartermile times though on a drag strip)

I used to loose traction in 4th. at about 100mph with 315s MPSC and 0.9 Bar when I did not have an LSD, I can show graphs.
One other thing is that the car becomes VERY sensitive to tire pressures and suspension settings when you go 2WD so you need to do some changes..

Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Weird, im putting out over 500 RWHP and RWTQ and have no traction issues what so ever, its hot as hell here and im running 315 toyo proxes brand new, but still, no issues! I did have some spinning in 2nd gear straight line witht he stock pirelli's, but wait until you see the video i will have up, me, rs4, gt2 and viper in bear mountain twistie's, 5 minutes of all out driving, i have PSM off and not one traction problem or scary moment!
can't wait to see that vid man...

Old 08-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Scott!

Thats exactly what I'm running now solid spoke on PS2's... I just bought a set of hollows though... and as soon as the rear PS2's go I'm going for SO-2A's thats for sure!

ILLM3, probably it the suspension set up you got and 315's combo that do the trick... I'll try the 2WD with the hollows but if the problem persists I'll put the shaft back in as the TC/PSM cuts in all the time and I can't do any fast progress if the surface is not pool table flat and it kind of makes sense that a car with this sort of power will have traction issues if not addressed with a LSD...thats why Porsche fitted them on the GT2 and actually some late Turbo S came with these as an option.
Jean you right once again! I felt the rear was a bit unstable under acceleration and your comments regarding harder rubber on the subframe are SPOT on! Who sells the "harder rubber" then?

Old 08-15-2006, 06:57 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kiko
Scott!

Thats exactly what I'm running now solid spoke on PS2's... I just bought a set of hollows though... and as soon as the rear PS2's go I'm going for SO-2A's thats for sure!

ILLM3, probably it the suspension set up you got and 315's combo that do the trick... I'll try the 2WD with the hollows but if the problem persists I'll put the shaft back in as the TC/PSM cuts in all the time and I can't do any fast progress if the surface is not pool table flat and it kind of makes sense that a car with this sort of power will have traction issues if not addressed with a LSD...thats why Porsche fitted them on the GT2 and actually some late Turbo S came with these as an option.
Jean you right once again! I felt the rear was a bit unstable under acceleration and your comments regarding harder rubber on the subframe are SPOT on! Who sells the "harder rubber" then?
Are you driving with PSM on or off? Try driving with it off all of the time, when its on its too sensitive, that could be why the GT2 has no PSM what so ever, with it off it never interferes with my driving, even when im spinning around the turn on purpose!

I havent had problems with my 18" hollowspokes on stock semi bald pzero's or these toyo proxes, weird i dunn. Im on H+R suspension pretty low too!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by kiko
Scott!
Kiko, you are in Europe, check with Cargraphic in Germany (Thomas Schnarr)or Tech 9 in the UK (Phil), explain the problem and they will get you the ones you need. Do you have any 100-200 kph or other data with your car? Cheers.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:36 AM
Thanks Jean! Are these poly bushes?

100-200km/h...I'm afraid not since I don't have an AX-22 but I can time it with a chrono and use a GPS to get the speeds right if you want...

What about LSD? Where's the best deal? Should I go for Motorsport, GT2's or Guards?

Last edited by kiko; 08-17-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:42 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
All sportcars that are 2wd that are anything to have have diffrential brake....As gt2 without would make me smile..

I have no tracion issues at all with my gt2,

Old 08-17-2006, 08:25 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
SMR,
could you restate that, I did not understand what you were trying to say.

Mk

Old 08-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
SMR,
could you restate that, I did not understand what you were trying to say.

Mk
LOL, yea i didnt quite understand it either!

Old 08-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
I think he is trying to say that any real sports car has an LSD.

Kiko, get the LSD and you will be amazed at how well your car handles. Without it, you are just spinning the inside rear wheel through turns. The real traction is with the outside wheel and the only way to take advantage of that is an LSD.

Also remember that you are running traction control software that was written in 1998. That is the reason it is so sensitive. Previous TC software would not allow ANY slip angles in the car. With the 997 the software allows up to 15 or 20 degrees of slip angle before intervention. Subsequently you can throw the cars around much more without the TC software slowing down the fun.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Chasen1211
can't wait to see that vid man...
Agreed .......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2WD conversion - Traction issues