996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gt700

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Damm man what's your deal, ive been reading numerous post's like this recently!?!
It's very simple... I think most 996 Turbo owners are focused on the power and straightline performance aspect of the car rather than looking at the car as a complete package. This board is beginning to sound like the Viper or Supra forums where everyone is so obsessed with drag racing and freeway pulls. Whatever happened to reliability? How about engines that would last 100,000 miles without a rebuild?

Only the GT guys seem to talk about other aspects of the car such as alignment, suspension parts, lightening the car, shock rebound/compression settings, brake systems, etc. All the stuff that makes a true performance package.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Porsche Fiend
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
COOL

I'll continue fighting the MBworld guys with you though!!!
Hell yeah! Some of those MBWorld guys are complete idiotic *******. It's shocking to see the level of ignorance and hostility on that board.

Mercedes is the one brand that I really can't seem to relate to the owners.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hamann7
It's very simple... I think most 996 Turbo owners are focused on the power and straightline performance aspect of the car rather than looking at the car as a complete package. This board is beginning to sound like the Viper or Supra forums where everyone is so obsessed with drag racing and freeway pulls. Whatever happened to reliability? How about engines that would last 100,000 miles without a rebuild?

Only the GT guys seem to talk about other aspects of the car such as alignment, suspension parts, lightening the car, shock rebound/compression settings, brake systems, etc. All the stuff that makes a true performance package.

I don't know. Road course racing certainly isn't my focus...but I don't think my car is unbalanced at all.

I have a JIC cil-over, which I believe to be the best set-up behind the much more expensive Moton and JRZ...I have a GT2 rear sway....my car has been professionally corner-balanced and my suspension set-up by the crew chief of a local Porsche race team (who happens to run $10k JRZ set-ups on all of his cars and was extremely impressed with the JIC).

My car is also significantly lighter, due to a RWD conversion and a few other things. It's right around 3,200 lbs at this point. I run lightweight 18'' BBS wheels and have R-compounds at home awaiting install.

The only major thing I don't have (and have no current plans to get) is a BBK since the stock brakes are *more* than adequate for anything I use them for. The car stops on a dime, as is. The day I start getting consistent fade from my brakes is the day I'll consider a BBK.

As far as reliability, the car is rock-solid. It recently starrted up on the first turn of the key after sitting in my garage for 3 straight months. I get no check engine lights, no stalling, and it runs flawlessly in all conditions that I expose it to.

I'd say my car is pretty well balanced overall. Especially considering it's primary purpose; street driving and straight-line acceleration.

I think a lot of the other guys on here have pretty balanced cars as well.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-16-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
man...if it's that bad, than i should really start going on that forum...love when things get heated (great entertainment)...lol...

Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, speaking for myself, The GT2 is definetly not lacking in terms of braking, handling and suspension. I just helped it out in the HP department

Old 08-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chasen1211
man...if it's that bad, than i should really start going on that forum...love when things get heated (great entertainment)...lol...
I don't think anyone is heated at all. I'm certainly not, and I don't think Joe or Tyson is either.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Porsche Fiend
Well, speaking for myself, The GT2 is definetly not lacking in terms of braking, handling and suspension. I just helped it out in the HP department
Oh, if only you could see what one can do with the suspension! And I don't mean just a set of Motons, either...

Old 08-16-2006, 01:10 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, if only you could see what one can do with the suspension! And I don't mean just a set of Motons, either...
OK, you gotta tell me more

Believe it or not, I love road courses more than the dragstrip!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !

I see where you are coming from, but these member's are doing big things performance wise, some lightening up and do crazy suspension components and setups, a very few both!! But still what do you expect, everyone to be modded up with a full out track car? To talk about great fuel economy on power packages? LOL, im just joking, i know what you mean but lighten up. The people you are arguing with dont just go to the drag strip, but organize road course events and have cars that can handle as well as accelerate

Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 AM
sy996tt is infamous around these partssy996tt is infamous around these parts
Whatever happened to reliability? How about engines that would last 100,000 miles without a rebuild?
Im just curious.. is there a ruf turbo that you can show us that has 100k miles? not trying to start anything.. i just would like to know..

thanks,

sonny

Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Porsche Fiend
OK, you gotta tell me more

Believe it or not, I love road courses more than the dragstrip!
Well, for starters, you could change the factory suspension geometry, which would be optimized for lower ride height. Having this optimized geometry allows for more predictable handling, especially near the limit, as it closely approximates the behavior of a double-wishbone setup, not to mention it gets rid of the inherent bumpsteer issues of the stock suspension.

You could also change the A-arm links to solid monoballs, put Porsche Motorsport toe control links, wheel carriers, etc.

You can easily spend more on the suspension than even the price of a GT700 kit.

Personally, I think it is damn near impossible for almost anyone but the best and daring drivers to fully use 700bhp on the racetrack, especially given the stock suspension setup and geometry.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:32 AM
Porsche Fiend
Originally Posted by sy996tt
Im just curious.. is there a ruf turbo that you can show us that has 100k miles? not trying to start anything.. i just would like to know..

thanks,

sonny
Let's ask the Ruf boys on this board!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 AM
sy996tt is infamous around these partssy996tt is infamous around these parts
Let's ask the Ruf boys on this board!
that would be great! knowledge is king! i really would like to know as im debating my tuning i will be doing in the future...

Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Well, for starters, you could change the factory suspension geometry, which would be optimized for lower ride height. Having this optimized geometry allows for more predictable handling, especially near the limit, as it closely approximates the behavior of a double-wishbone setup, not to mention it gets rid of the inherent bumpsteer issues of the stock suspension.

You could also change the A-arm links to solid monoballs, put Porsche Motorsport toe control links, wheel carriers, etc.

You can easily spend more on the suspension than even the price of a GT700 kit.

Personally, I think it is damn near impossible for almost anyone but the best and daring drivers to fully use 700bhp on the racetrack, especially given the stock suspension setup and geometry.
Lowering the ride height doesnt cure the bump steer issue in GT2's!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I don't think anyone is heated at all. I'm certainly not, and I don't think Joe or Tyson is either.
sorry, i was talking about the MBworld forums that hamann7 was talking about

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt700