996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gauges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
You can put them on the A-piller of the drivers side.

Old 01-17-2004, 02:13 AM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts

I wonder if you can implement the Smart Tire Pressure Monitoring into this gauge by dakota.

it'll look great...

Old 01-17-2004, 06:07 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by KPV
Here is the picture I took:

Anyone know who made the CF Gauge console??? Ken????

Old 01-17-2004, 06:24 AM
PES did the job Zippy~~~~

Old 01-17-2004, 05:40 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Here are pics of my gauge console mounted above the windshield incorporating the lights, IR security eyes and sun roof controls.

Last edited by cjv; 01-17-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:51 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
LOL I remember looking up at that when you started the car thinking we were in the Millenium Falcon So many many lights and gauges hehe. Looked slick.

Old 01-17-2004, 05:57 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
"LOL I remember looking up at that when you started the car thinking we were in the Millenium Falcon"

Yeap, I remember telling you not to push the warp button right before you did.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Heheh what if you'd had the giggle juice back then as well Warp 7!

Old 01-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Some new update with Gauges...
I've decided to go with Defi Gauge, which is known to be one of the best on the gauge market I believe. It's really accurate and functional.
it's the system that 02barebones996 suggested, the wiring is easy and clean. (thanx 02barebones996)

But here comes a question, what gauges do I really need on the car?

My Original Plan is
- Boost
- Water Temp
- Oil Temp
- Oil Pressure
- EGT (x2)

I don't know if I can only have 1 EGT. Looking to the design of the engine... is it better to have 2 EGT instead of one? On the PES unit, it has 1 boost, 2 A/F and 2 EGT. I don't think I really need an A/F gauge, so I led it passed.

Here comes a problem, Defi BF serie only come in 60mm gauge, which is almost impossible to squeeze 6 of them in to the center lower console. (I measured it, it might, but it'll look too packed and ugly)

But however when I come to think of it, with Stage 4GTR(750hp)upgrade, I may not need to worry too much about the durability of the car. It's not a 1000hp Supra or etc. And it's reliable.
I then think, should I just have 3 needed Defi Gauages?

New plan
- 1 Boost
- 1 Water Temp
- 1 Oil Temp
- Round Digital Dakota Gauge for tire pressure monitoring.

This way the console will look really clean. But however I still prefer to have 6 gauges b/c then you get to know the condition of your car better.

Or should I just put the Boost Gauge on the left side near A-Pillar (i've seen one of 6-spd board member done this, but he did it for temporary use only, b/c He taped it), and leave the rest 5 in the center lower console?

Or just use 1 EGT gauge? is it ok to just use 1 EGT?

Chad, what do you have on ur car? I don't think I've seen EGT on urs but the Tranny Temp. or A/F? I forgot.... What do you say?

The reason why I want to get gauge is not only b/c I like the look or etc (even though that may be a part of the reason), but when I come to think about it, it's good to know how your car is doing, and also I'm still planning on upgrading my motor once I got used to stage 4gtr program.
Probably within a year or so I'll be upgrading the internal of the engine, and have a new setup that can push the car even further down to the 10sec range. Therefore it's good to have gauges ready by then.

I'm kinda of Frustrated now... so help please?
What do you experts suggest?

Last edited by luting_chen; 01-19-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:32 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
luting.. i would suggest hat you have an a/f gauge bec. it is a more accurate measurement of your fuel mixture.. over the egt 1 i would have both on the car.. if u have the option to have them...

the reason why i have seen two egts are usually one on the primary runner then one on the exhaust near the down pipe afetr the turbo.. the reason for this is to know the temp gauges before air goes in and after the turbo, u supposedly get to have measuremtn of how rich/ lean your car is running due to the temp measuremtn of the egt, i would recomend a good a/f meter bec. it is a better gauge of how your car is performing under boost, below boost or otherwise, u will have a better idea if your car is running lean or rich at different point sin the rpm range.

i hoep this info helps...

i dunno if i still ahev my hook up with defi-gauges i will try to see if i can still get them ... bec. i know of a shop that gives me good deals on parts..

enjoy your upgrades

Old 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Joe thanx ^_^
so are you saying that it's needed to have both A/F and EGT? or is it a better idea to have A/F instead of EGT?
since it sounds like they both look after the same thing...
running rich or lean...

any other gauges i need to know Joe?

thanx for the reply ^___^ hehe... it's really interesting reading and learning all these new things...

Last edited by luting_chen; 01-19-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:19 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
i would reccomend having both a/f and egt...

and the other stuff u listed should be enough gauge monitoring in your beast

Old 01-19-2004, 05:25 PM
cjv
luting_chen,

I have one digital exhaust gauge with six sensors. I can read individual exhaust ports.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by cjv
luting_chen,

I have one digital exhaust gauge with six sensors. I can read individual exhaust ports.
I bet that took a lot of work/wiring! Looked great though

Old 01-19-2004, 05:28 PM
PS Question for you, do you mind me asking what the weight of your car was the last time at the scaled? Just wondering... I'm trying to rip off a few other bits and pieces to lighten mine up a bit. Of course I don't have a fancy stereo like yours tho But even the CD changed is being pulled lol...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gauges