996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

now I'm starting to wonder about X50...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
now I'm starting to wonder about X50...

As I shop around, I start to wonder if the X50 premium is worth it. Dealers and private sellers still charge a premium for it, and it intrigues me a lot, being a factory tuning, but the horsepower gain would be duplicated (and actually exceeded) with a $500 Upsolute chip on a stock TT.

I don't plan on upgrading to stage IV or anything, but still have a woody for the X50 I guess - if I upgrade the ECU on the X50, I'm over 500hp quite easily - nice easy upgrade, and cheap.

There is an '02 X50 (silver/black) that I'm looking at, but they won't go below 98k (8000 miles). Another silver/black one that is an '03 with much more in the way of options (sport seats, carbon, aluminum, etc.) for perhaps 110k. Then there's that sweet *** white/black one that Dave O2 C4S (MA) had looked at in November, with the red deviated stitching and red belts, sport seats, leather everywhere including the center console, etc., which is significantly more expensive, and with lease rates as they are now, there's not really a good deal to be had on new versus pre-owned.

I fear that I would be stuck with a big lease buyout payment later on if I decide to trade it in for a 997 turbo, for example, if I don't take advantage of some of the depreciation that exists on the beloved TT at the moment. Some have talked about '02's for under 90k, but I can't seem to find them on ebay, porschedealer.com, or Auto Trader. Dealers certainly aren't going that low yet.

I see some nice '03's for about what I could get the '02 X50 for, which has more miles and is a year older. I don't understand why I'm still enamored with it, but I just can't shake it.

What do to!!

Old 01-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Update - the '02 X50 is no longer available - sold for 96k w/o certification. Maybe I should just look for some of the stock TT's that are supposedly selling around 90k.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
DropGems is infamous around these parts
I was in the same situation as you and I wound up getting a pretty good deal on a used x-50. It took me a while before I found it but it was worth the wait. BTW, I drove a turbo cab and the x-50 pulls much harder, not sure if it's because it was a heavy cab, maybe cause it was hotter that day but my x-50 feels pretty damn fast. Good luck with your search man.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Turbo Racer is infamous around these parts
all good choices. but as above you can do well if your patient. good deals come and go but are still around. I think the day of freefall depreciation is over for the 996 tt for now because of the limited supply for 04. I've never thought a lease was a good deal unless for business purposes or if you know you'll be out of the car in a year or two maybe. for the l/t an o2 with a cert warranty may be the way to go. good luck!!

Old 01-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Banned for Eternity
Originally posted by gabf1
all good choices. but as above you can do well if your patient. good deals come and go but are still around. I think the day of freefall depreciation is over for the 996 tt for now because of the limited supply for 04. I've never thought a lease was a good deal unless for business purposes or if you know you'll be out of the car in a year or two maybe. for the l/t an o2 with a cert warranty may be the way to go. good luck!!
I have to lease for business reasons AND because I'll probably get out in a couple years.

Old 01-16-2004, 04:28 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
There is no legitimate business reason to lease vs buy. The costs & benifits are pretty much identical no matter which way you slice it.

Dave w

Old 01-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Banned for Eternity
Dave - how so? My accountants have a different point of view. I'd prefer to minimize my capital outlay each month so that I can use it on inventory and such, which makes me money instead of just providing me driving pleasure...leases are great for writeoffs, particularly with the varying writeoff rules the IRS keeps spewing out.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
It looks like retail asking prices are up a bit. A quick scan of AutoWeek classifieds revealed that only 2001's were around 90, 2002's were near 100 and 2003's are over 100. These are asking prices and I'm sure if you find the right dealer looking to move you will knock about 5K off the asking price.