996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

impact of 19" wheels on performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
Just remember there are brake size issues with many of the 18's

Old 01-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
True Cary, but nothing that can't be fixed if you get the wheels custom fitted or custom made.

Besides, who really needs an 8-piston 15" system on the street, when even the Cup cars use 6-piston stock GT3 brakes?

And even the GT3-RS use 18" wheels.

Bottom line is that 19" on 911 SUCKS for performance.

And you will never see me using HRE's on my GT2. When was the last time you saw HRE on a race car?

Old 01-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Hamann7 -> what wheel manufacturers do you approve of?

Old 01-17-2004, 01:38 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Re: impact of 19" wheels on performance

Originally posted by lcheng2
How would an addtional 24lbs unsprung weight affect the acceleration, 1/4 mile time and handling?
Lawrence, the 19" wheels do weigh a bit more, but the 19" tires also weigh a bit less w/ less sidewall so overall weight gain is not as much as it might seem.

the effects of 24lb increase in unsprung weight (6lbs on each corner) will depend on yoyr spring weights and their abilty to control the movement of the extra momentum the weight increase causes. This will effect handing in corners/bumps only.

The effects on straight line acceleration (1/4 mile, etc) are more a product of the change in rotating mass and the placement of that mass, not unsprung or sprung weight. More simply, on the power that gets eaten up getting the wheels to rotate and move the car. this is largely a factor of where the 6lb's lies and how it is distrubuted. if its all in the hub then there will be little to no difference in acceleration, if its all in the lip then the difference will be larger...so it depends on the design of the wheel mostly. In any event we are talking fractions of seconds. You should go with whatever ones make you happier unless you are racing for championship points.

-dave w

Old 01-17-2004, 01:39 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Cary Eisenlohr
Just remember there are brake size issues with many of the 18's
What issues Cary:

Old 01-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by Zippy
Hamann7 -> what wheel manufacturers do you approve of?
BBS-- The choice of champions worldwide

Work-- The choice of champions in Japan

Cargraphic 18" racing wheel with forged stars

Maybe a few others, but that's a start.

Old 01-17-2004, 02:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I know how you digh Enkei...

Old 01-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Porsche Fiend
yup... and Super Advan

Old 01-17-2004, 02:06 PM
What about American Racing?

Old 01-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Porsche Fiend
nah man... it's all about PRIMAX

Old 01-17-2004, 02:17 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I believe KPV earned his Tech Guru status on the same subject....

19" Wheels

Old 01-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by HKE46Boy
All forged wheels company bought their reversed lip from a same supplier!
this is not true - HRE has been phasing out those inferior ARS rim pieces since last year, and the total transition should be complete soon.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 01-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Hamann7

And you will never see me using HRE's on my GT2. When was the last time you saw HRE on a race car?
This will change very soon with the new competition series - MANY race teams are interested, although I cannot name them until the deals are inked and dried.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 01-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Porsche Fiend
uh huh...

I don't think HRE will ever be on the same level as BBS or Work

And I doubt any of the pending deals you are referring to are in Formula 1 or any other FIA series. Technology and budget. That's all I have to say.

Maybe with ALMS?

Old 01-17-2004, 04:43 PM
DDW
DDW is infamous around these parts
The only wheels i would choose are BBS Le Mans 18" and O.Z Superleggera 3 18", thatĀ“s it.

I donĀ“t know HRE,it seems itĀ“s a big company in the US for rims.

I heard Fikse is also very good.

Here in Germany BBS is the best you can get.

So long,

DDW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: impact of 19" wheels on performance