996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car won't start... battery is fine, creaking sound heard but engine isn't turning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM
achilles99 is infamous around these parts
Car won't start... battery is fine, creaking sound heard but engine isn't turning...

I've had my 996 turbo for less than a month, and it seems like I have issues with it every week. Is this normal?

This morning, I went out to crank it up. It didn't start. I heard a "creaking" sound when I turn the key, but the engine doesn't turn over at all. I know it's not the battery, since I just changed it (to be sure, I tried to jumpstart the car with no luck). Is there a starter relay or fuse somewhere? Power relay? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Look under the clutch pedal. There is a micro switch. See if it is loose. Better yet just push the tab down and try to start it. This is not that uncommon and will leave you with a no start should the switch not make contact.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Where does this "creaking sound" come from?

How long does the sound last, etc etc??

Old 08-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, the creaking sound happens for about a second, and then stops. Actually, it happens as soon as I go to the first key position (but not cranking). So, that's probably the fuel pump or something. Once the sound goes away, I can try to crank it but nothing happens. So, it definitely sounds like the computer doesn't know my clutch pedal is down.

PorschePhD - I don't see a switch for the downstroke of the clutch pedal. There is a switch that is pressed when i RELEASE the pedal (it's in front of the pedal, closer to the driver). I don't see a switch that is depressed when I push the pedal to the floor (the only thing I see behind the pedal is the rod that goes into the floorboard and presumably to the clutch release).

Or am I not looking at the right place for the switch? If you have a snapshot or drawing of what it looks like, that would be a big help. Thanks for the quick response, I'm stranded at home (well, at least without the 911) until this is fixed. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
OK, I found the switch, it was also in front of the pedal but I see how the arm hits it when you push the pedal (BMW's were different, switch was on the floorboard). I pushed the tab down, and the car didn't start. I put a voltmeter on it, and I'm reading 12 volts when the switch isn't pushed, and 0 volts when the pedal is depressed (and the tab is down).

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Yep, your right, that hum is the fuel pump.
I would second the question on the clutch pedal switch as many people slide their floor mat under the pedal, so the switch doesnt engage..

Id go to the battery, make absoluely sure connections are good and of course the battery is good. Id even try another battery just to make sure. I take it you've checked fuses, etc. Check them with a tester to make sure they are ok and not just look ok..

When did this start happening? Any aftermarket stereo/alarm?

Old 08-21-2006, 01:45 PM
I manually pressed the switch, and that didn't help. I don't use floor mats, so that not's a problem anyway.

Battery is good... I even tried the jumpstart with no luck.

Which fuse would you check? I don't have any aftermarket equipment or alarms installed. For some reason, the starter isn't engaging.

Is there a starter relay or fuse somewhere? I tried to run a search, and I didn't see anything. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
The fuse box is behind the panel to the left of your clutch foot. Put your finger in the opening and pull off the cover. Use your test light though, again, dont just look at the fuses and think they are ok.

If its still not running by tomorrow, call me at work, I'll ask a tech for more help. 650.701.9200 X 103
Where are you located?

and np on the help, thats what were all here for

Old 08-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Brian,

I'm located in Atlanta, GA. I found the fuse box in the cabin already, but I'm not sure which fuse is for the starter. Usually, there is a starter relay under the hood, but I'm not sure where that would be on the 911. Anyone know? Thanks all!

Old 08-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Just went back out to try to start the car again. The pedal is super hard to press, and the reservoir marked Pentosin (I'm guessing clutch fluid) is showing really high levels of fluid. Could this be part of the problem? Or is this because I've pressed the pedal too many times? SOMEONE please help! I have a bad feeling about this...

Last edited by achilles99; 08-21-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:43 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
That is normal. You just pumped all the pressure out. Once the car starts it will be normal.

You can have several issues here. If it isn't something easy as we have discussed it may be something like the embolizer or ECU. The electrical portion of the ignition switch is also known for being an issue.

Is the car chipped?

Old 08-21-2006, 05:38 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
If i rember right he has a upsoluted software in there

Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Could be a cold solder issue. Was it soldered or flashed? Don't read me wrong, I am only throwing idea out here.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 PM
SMR is right, I have the Upsolute software. It was flashed, not soldered. Does it sound like a software issue? To me, it sounds like my starter isn't getting power (bad relay or bad ignition). Any other ideas? Thanks guys!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by achilles99
SMR is right, I have the Upsolute software. It was flashed, not soldered. Does it sound like a software issue? To me, it sounds like my starter isn't getting power (bad relay or bad ignition). Any other ideas? Thanks guys!
Software shouldn't matter.

Did you check the fuses?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car won't start... battery is fine, creaking sound heard but engine isn't turning...