996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
SilverSurfer way to be a good sport!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I think that it's really about perception. When you've owned certain types of cars like you have then that changes everything for you as a person. I know that once I've driven a certain car, things aren't the same for me ever again. I couldn't be content with a car that was slower than the one I used to have. But then again, that could really depend on the type of cars that you'd buy. I'm okay with my Range Rover being slower than the Beemer because they're different types.

In any case, I agree with you here. It's really not about what others may think of what should be done. It ultimately comes down to you. What you feel is the best solution in getting something fixed/upgraded. I don't think it matters much if you were to use someone from RUF or someone else that you feel is equally as qualified to do the same thing. The ultimate choice is yours.

Just my .02 cents.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Nothing personal intended, but you've obviously paid a premium for a Ruf VIN # car....some folks tout originality, while others as you've mentioned, mince up Enzo's etc....ultimately, do what you want with it, I doubt anyone will lose sleep over it. Its just puzzling from an originality standpoint, and from a fiscal common sense standpoint.

As far as replacing Ruf parts with non-originals...again, go ahead. just don't expect everyone to agree with your viewpoint should you choose to sell it. From what I understand, Ruf turbos are designed in house, and the suspension is valved according to their specs. They don't just take it from Bilstein and repaint it.

I guess its like taking a picasso, touching it up to your liking, and then still wanting it to be an original after the fact....ain't gonna happen.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RufMD
Its just puzzling from an originality standpoint, and from a fiscal common sense standpoint.

As far as replacing Ruf parts with non-originals...again, go ahead. just don't expect everyone to agree with your viewpoint should you choose to sell it. From what I understand, Ruf turbos are designed in house, and the suspension is valved according to their specs. They don't just take it from Bilstein and repaint it.

I guess its like taking a picasso, touching it up to your liking, and then still wanting it to be an original after the fact....ain't gonna happen.
I must disagree here. Not only will my car be even more original than it was before, but I will retain the ability to put the car back to the condition it was in when I bought it (unlike your Picasso analogy). And in regards to your paragraph about parts... Ruf and other tuners/maunfacturers do a very good job of letting the public believe that their parts are proprietary when in fact they're the same as everyone else is using. The shocks might be valved for higher speeds but can no one else do that to their Bilsteins? Turbos, if he so chooses, I'll let Kevin chime in on what makes a Ruf Turbocharger any different than his stage 2 snail. Again, you may be surprised that (similar to my Sportec S4), many of the so-called Ruf parts are merely rebadged - does that make them special?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:47 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Originally Posted by silversurfer
I must disagree here. Not only will my car be even more original than it was before, but I will retain the ability to put the car back to the condition it was in when I bought it (unlike your Picasso analogy). And in regards to your paragraph about parts... Ruf and other tuners/maunfacturers do a very good job of letting the public believe that their parts are proprietary when in fact they're the same as everyone else is using. The shocks might be valved for higher speeds but can no one else do that to their Bilsteins? Turbos, if he so chooses, I'll let Kevin chime in on what makes a Ruf Turbocharger any different than his stage 2 snail. Again, you may be surprised that (similar to my Sportec S4), many of the so-called Ruf parts are merely rebadged - does that make them special?
One final post on this matter and I'll let you have the final word since this is your thread ! I wish you the best of luck with you car and mods (sincerely). What ever you choose to do with things YOU have paid for is your business and no one elses.

Your parts analogy is interesting...Doesn't that mean you overpaid for a car with rebadged parts ? If the originality didn't matter, why bother sourcing a VIN # car ? How does changing a car make it more original ? I'm confused

Old 08-23-2006, 02:50 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
I simply meant that whenever one changes a car from the factory, they make it more original than it was..whether it be Lambo doors on a volkswagen or Kevin's upgrades on a Ruf. Originality did matter, but not strictly because of the rarity of the parts, but because the car as a whole is so hard to come by. And did I overpay for my car, absolutely..but not nearly as badly as the original owner did

Thanks for the thoughts guys, keep 'em coming..good and bad.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
MGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to all
My thoughts, you're dog carrier is better than mine

Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Volare is infamous around these parts
I think you two are using the word “original” in different ways. RufMD, if I’m not mistaking, is referring to original as everything from factory, numbers matching, or in your case, Ruf. And by keeping it that way, you attract collectors who desire original cars, Concourse type and some at Barrett Jackson. Whereas you are using original in the Hot Rod term, your car is original because no one else has one just like yours, which is popular amongst other car collectors. It’s kind of like what Chip Foose does, one-offs. I think most are just expressing the fact that potential Ruf buyers are more of the factory original type. Good luck either way.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:51 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Well...if the mods are completely and easily reversible then I guess its not that bad...

Although I respect Kevin's work (I really do) unless you go really WILD you won't notice much of a difference in power as someone mentioned here RUF figures are VERY conservative and some actually say their advertised power is similar to another tuner's power at the wheels and if you do go wild you'll lose some of the legendary RUF driveability.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does the 550 kit involves internal modifications as cams, etc?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
550 is not internal (can be done in Dallas)

590 Nardo goes deep (is only done in Germany)

(I would not Mod a RUF, but it is only my opinion)

good luck Surfer, you have lots of fab cars!

MK

Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
I think a RUF vin car would just make it a better baseline to start modding. All the parts that went into it are much beefier than stock TT starting with the intake manifold down to drivetrain. I think this would be fun to see what you could do with RUF engineered baseline, how much higher you could go.

RUF vin 550 is not the same as converted 550s. There are a lot more parts that went into the vin cars that no one outside of RUF knows.

Surfer, make sure you keep everything including the software (ECU) to return everything to before after you had your fun. Don't buy a cheaper snail to replace the RUF unit. They are veined differently i believe.

Love to see the result. your doing the clutch too? Interesting. I would think the RUF unit should hold a lot more than you expect.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:00 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by silversurfer
I must disagree here. Not only will my car be even more original than it was before, but I will retain the ability to put the car back to the condition it was in when I bought it (unlike your Picasso analogy).
Modifying a car and putting it back to stock prior to selling it,would that make the car stock again..i guess not...Yes technically the car is stock now but would the internals be the same as stock..definately not...
I personally don't have any problem with you modifying your RTurbo heck it's just a car and if i had your MONEY and if my ***** were as big as yours i probably would have done the same

Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
esemes is infamous around these parts
i think it is best to differentiate between original and unique...

either way, i look forwardto your progress and end=results...

it'll be neat to see the baseline vs. prepped graphs, too.....

so, how much longer now??

ese

Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Well, you've got to admit, if you want an honest opinion, you're going to get one on this forum. Purist have a special feeling about Porsche's, especially RUF's. Man, if you go on Rennlist and bring this up, put on your flame suit. IMHO, I would not touch the car and if I did, Kevin would be the only guy I would trust to touch it. I must say, I am curious about the outcome. Will you please get a baseline Dyno number just to see what a RUF 550 puts out to the wheels? Then another after the mods. We will all learn from your experience and your courage. BTW, what type of hp gains are you looking to accomplish?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Basically sell the RUF and start with a normal Turbo.....

I'm for keeping the RUF stock, but I have to say that I think a lot of the mystique about a RUF is just that. Mystique.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 08-23-2006 at 07:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...