996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:28 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Kevin,

I had a 2001 Ruf RTurbo 520 and the turbos were modified K-16's. I am no expert, however when the work was done (pre Dallas) I was able to closely inspect the difference between my stock k16's and their revised ones. It was quite interesting.

I was told by Ruf in 2003 the 550 used the K24's with similar mods to the turbos as the K-16's on my 520 car, so I would assume if the car has modified K-16's it is a 520 version, not a 550 version. I was planning to upgrade to a 550 on that car, but bought a GT2 instead.

I would be interested if you will continue to use the Ruf intake system (which is also slightly different for the 520 or 550 conversion) and if you will modify the Ruf K-24's, as well. If not I would be interested in buying those parts.

JCM

Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ari
I think a lot of the mystique about a RUF is just that. Mystique.
Yep... Oh, and $$$$$ in Alois's wallet. Which is fine...

Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kiko
Well...if the mods are completely and easily reversible then I guess its not that bad...

Although I respect Kevin's work (I really do) unless you go really WILD you won't notice much of a difference in power as someone mentioned here RUF figures are VERY conservative and some actually say their advertised power is similar to another tuner's power at the wheels and if you do go wild you'll lose some of the legendary RUF driveability.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does the 550 kit involves internal modifications as cams, etc?
with all due respect to RUF, sincerly, their stuff is nice but not great. i just did the bull run in my buddies Ruf 550 gt2, and it was not that fast, or that much faster compared to other tuners...there was an evoms stage 2 tt that was right on our rear quarter a few times, they actually won we got 5th. when we went to the drag strip, our fastest time was a 12.446, dont remember the trap speed but can look if anyone wants to know.

Ruf is a good "Tried and True" product that has No Reliability Issues what so ever, simply bullet proof, but not the best by any way! and completly overpriced for the numbers you get. the whole understated ruf numbers thing is a joke IMHO!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold

Correct me if I'm wrong but does the 550 kit involves internal modifications as cams, etc?
no, you get intake, filter, modified turbos, DV's, exhaust, and tune...for 40k+ shipping from RUF. that gets you a new bottom end and 700+ hp, suspension, tranny, clutch, LWFW, and money left over with www.ultimatemotorwerks.com kevin is the man!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Acropora
Yep... Oh, and $$$$$ in Alois's wallet. Which is fine...
well said.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:28 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tradin1
with all due respect to RUF, sincerly, their stuff is nice but not great. i just did the bull run in my buddies Ruf 550 gt2, and it was not that fast, or that much faster compared to other tuners...there was an evoms stage 2 tt that was right on our rear quarter a few times, they actually won we got 5th. when we went to the drag strip, our fastest time was a 12.446, dont remember the trap speed but can look if anyone wants to know.

Ruf is a good "Tried and True" product that has No Reliability Issues what so ever, simply bullet proof, but not the best by any way! and completly overpriced for the numbers you get. the whole understated ruf numbers thing is a joke IMHO!!!
Theres something very wrong with your friends GT2 then... a 550 should put out nearly 550 at the wheels and NO WAY a stage 2 can keep up, just NO WAY hence the 12.446 on the track. If I was you friend I'd take the car to be seen properly.

Overpriced? Sure, agree 100% but if it was cheap no one would give a damn to what RUF stands for in this industry.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:29 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evan@FVD
I have to agree, while i have nothing against Kevin's stuff this is a HUGE mistake IMO. But hey, this is your car, do what you wish with it and enjoy it!
Evan
Totally agree, i will be doing his turbo setup, but not if i had any RUF car, i wouldnt be touching it because of its exclusivity!

Oh well, goodluck.. I think you should trade it to me though

Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
RUF figures are VERY conservative and some actually say their advertised power is similar to another tuner's power at the wheels....
A direct comparison of acceleration times between RUF cars and other tuner cars doesn't support this 'rumor' at all.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Theres something very wrong with your friends GT2 then... a 550 should put out nearly 550 at the wheels and NO WAY a stage 2 can keep up, just NO WAY hence the 12.446 on the track. If I was you friend I'd take the car to be seen properly.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...416#post682416

Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Here we go again. I agree with Divexxtreme on this. Trap times don't lie. The RUF Rt12 with 650 hp trapped at I believe 133 mph. That is consistent with a 650 hp car, no more no less. Doesn't seem like anything is under rated.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned
Divi996tt is infamous around these parts
Doesn't RUF have a policy that any alterations to their modifications will void the RUF warranty? Posting here your project will in fact be known by them??

Divi

Last edited by Divi996tt; 08-24-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
the whole understated ruf numbers thing is a joke IMHO!!!
I don't get it.

Would you prefer i RUF said 600 hp if the engine only has 550?

Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Divi996tt
Doesn't RUF have a policy that any alterations to their modifications will void the RUF warranty? Posting here your project will in fact be known by them??

Divi
what warranty??? when i was talking to Ruf Dallas they said there is NO WARRANTY!!! They also claimed that if any other tuner touched my car it will probably blow up!

If you buy a new VIN Ruf i believe you get 2 24k miles, could be more, could be less.

i am currently having my Porsche dealer do my motor build, rods and what not, they are giving me a 24k unlimited mile warranty, for 1/10 of the price Ruf wanted.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Here we go again. I agree with Divexxtreme on this. Trap times don't lie. The RUF Rt12 with 650 hp trapped at I believe 133 mph. That is consistent with a 650 hp car, no more no less. Doesn't seem like anything is under rated.
I can assure you it has more than 650 hp.

If it's 650.5 hp or a lot more I won't tell

Old 08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Banned
Divi996tt is infamous around these parts
what warranty??? when i was talking to Ruf Dallas they said there is NO WARRANTY!!! They also claimed that if any other tuner touched my car it will probably blow up!

If you buy a new VIN Ruf i believe you get 2 24k miles, could be more, could be less.

i am currently having my Porsche dealer do my motor build, rods and what not, they are giving me a 24k unlimited mile warranty, for 1/10 of the price Ruf wanted.
So, RUF Dallas don't offer any kind of warranty when they Mod your car? Is that true for all the tuners or just RUF ????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...