996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kiko
Theres something very wrong with your friends GT2 then... a 550 should put out nearly 550 at the wheels and NO WAY a stage 2 can keep up, just NO WAY hence the 12.446 on the track. If I was you friend I'd take the car to be seen properly.

Overpriced? Sure, agree 100% but if it was cheap no one would give a damn to what RUF stands for in this industry.
There was nothing wronge with his car, it was FAST!!! it is what motivated me to do upgrade my car. It just proves that the mystery of Ruf, is just what it is, all hype. I truly beleive the only thing mysterious about a Ruf car, is what people will pay.

I live in Dallas, go to Ruf all the time, great guys. Their head mechanic Bob knows his stuff...but 1 year ago he was turning wrenches at Boardwalk and Hanz was a service advisor...

I have been given a ride in a yellow bird, rturbo, SC997, all very fast cars, but not the fastest by any means! an experiance i can brag about due to the "mystery" of Ruf.

i was in the gumball, and the bull run. the ruf 550 gts was not the fastest prosche on either rally.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:27 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Divi996tt
So, RUF Dallas don't offer any kind of warranty when they Mod your car? Is that true for all the tuners or just RUF ????
i do not think any tuner offers a warranty, just more affordable everywhere else. If i got a warranty with Ruf spending 40k, i'd prob do it, but you don't.

Last edited by tradin1; 08-24-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Erik
I don't get it.

Would you prefer i RUF said 600 hp if the engine only has 550?
i want them to state what the power is, not some supposed under-rated number.

Last edited by tradin1; 08-24-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
A direct comparison of acceleration times between RUF cars and other tuner cars doesn't support this 'rumor' at all.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=55163

In order of Trap Speed:
11.09 @ 140.0 - EVOMS 800 HP TT (AWD at time of run)
10.76 @ 136.5 - Sharky / Sharkwerks 800 HP TT (AWD)
10.86 @ 136.0 - Divexxtreme / Protomotive 700 HP TT (RWD)
10.88 @ 134.7 - Joetwint / EVOMS 700 HP TT (AWD)
11.32 @ 134.3 - RennTechV12 / EVOMS 700HP TT (AWD)
10.98 @ 134.0 - Cgmeredithjr / Imagine Auto 700 HP GT2
11.0x @ 133.9 - RUF RT-12 650 HP TT (RWD)
11.01 @ 133.8 - Excellence Magazine / EVOMS 700HP TT (AWD)
11.36 @ 132.0 - BuddyG / Stage 5 650 HP TT (AWD)
10.74 @ 131.7 - Hamann7 / Protomotive 700 HP TT (AWD)
11.21 @ 131.1 - VRAlexander / S Car Go 650 HP TT (AWD)

11.34 @ 129.6 - EVOMS 700 HP TT (AWD)

I am sure the RT12 was on P Zero Rossos, how about the others?

If I am correct, those are the R&T figures for the RT12.
I was there when they drove it on the back streets around Pfaffenhausen in the middle of the night. Not exactly a fully prepped drag strip

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....highlight=rt12

Never mind, to each his own.

But to ruin a RUF R Turbo must be a really, really bad investment. Sell it, buy a new one and do whatever you like to it.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
tradin1,

Where did you get this $40K (cost) number for the Ruf 550 package?

Last time I checked with Wayne Corley @ RAC, it was $30K.

Never mind, to each his own.
Well said Erik.

Last edited by Phoenix; 08-24-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:32 PM
let me say this, i think the guy that cut up his ruf vin car is a little crazy to risk loosing the premium that someone my be willing to pay. for the money he may loose, he could have bought a high millage 996tt, and had every thing rebuilt by the best, engine, tranny, suspension, guys ect and have a better car than the ruf for way less money. but to each his own, and kevin is the only tuner i trust.

Last edited by tradin1; 08-24-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Phoenix
tradin1,

Where did you get this $40K (cost) number for the Ruf 550 package?

Last time I checked with Wayne Corley @ RAC, it was $30K.

Well said Erik.
the 40k was in jan and that was with the LWFW and clutch, and thier version of the pss9's...i think that was with all the labor. Those guys GREAT! just overpriced IMHO.

kevens stage 3 is 8500 with turbos, headers, and tune
Kevens intake is 1800
pss9's revalved to Ruf specs 2900
LWFW Gt3 Clutch 1750
Rollcage from porsche 1100
labor quote from porsche was 3000
Total was 19,050 for 600+hp

that is 20k less than ruf for more power and goodies. i actually went a diff route, but had i kept it this simple, it would have been this set up.

Last edited by tradin1; 08-24-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by tradin1
i want them to state what the power is, not some supposed under-rated number.
RUF market the guaranteed minimum.

Some market the maximum you might experience for a millisecond on a dyno.

I have stopped caring about horses, I am more interested in 0-200 km/h or mph and driveability = Performance I can use.
That tells me a lot more. If I have 550 of 600 horses under the hood is more interesting if you want to brag in a bar.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tradin1
the 40k was in jan and that was with the LWFW and clutch, and thier version of the pss9's...i think that was with all the labor. Those guys GREAT! just overpriced IMHO.
Ah. Gotcha.

Didn't know the prices for the other parts were added in.

Wayne told me it was $30K for just the 550 kit (parts & install).

Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't know about US, but it should only be better I guess.

In the EU RUF has a 2 year / 50.000 km warranty for upgrades.
And I think it's 3 years on a RUF VIN car.
It's better than what Porsche offers on their cars

Old 08-24-2006, 02:42 PM
I don't know about US, but it should only be better I guess.

In the EU RUF has a 2 year / 50.000 km warranty for upgrades.
And I think it's 3 years on a RUF VIN car.
It's better than what Porsche offers on their cars
according to wayne and or hanz in dallas, the 550 conversion comes with no warranty.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Okay Tradin1, just because you were in a road rally with Ruf cars does not necessarily make you the expert on Ruf cars. In the last Players Run, I was substantially beating a Turbos S stage 4 car from a roll in every gear, what does that prove?

I didn't start this thread to bash Ruf, quite the contrary, I believe that my car will provide a stronger, reliable baseline to accept Kevin's tune. Let's put all this talk about Ruf's conservative numbers or overpricing tactics to rest, shall we?

To all those of you talking about what a bad investment it is to "ruin" my Ruf. Since when have these cars ever been considered a good investment? We're not talking about Pebble Beach Bugattis or Barret Jackson Mopars. We're talking about cars that get driven every day, miles accumulated, services done, tires changed, etc. Just like those of you who paid MSRP for their new 996 and have spent XYZ$ in mods that you won't get back...this car never was meant to be an investment opportunity for me. How come no one is talking about how much money the owner of that gorgeous White EVO GT700 just parted with? Is it not the same exact thing?

And Divi, to answer your question, my car was already out of warranty when I bought it. The original owner had the car maintained under warranty for 3 years.

Last edited by silversurfer; 08-24-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Okay Tradin1, just because you were in a road rally with Ruf cars does not necessarily make you the expert on Ruf cars. In the last Players Run, I was substantially beating a Turbos S stage 4 car from a roll, what does that prove?

I didn't start this thread to bash Ruf, quite the contrary, I believe that my car will provide a stronger, reliable baseline to accept Kevin's tune. Let's put all this talk about Ruf's conservative numbers or overpricing tactics to rest, shall we?

And Divi, to answer your question, my car was already out of warranty when I bought it. The original owner had the car maintained under warranty for 3 years.
you have the best platform to start from, prob have the Ti rods and every other good part in your motor, no deniging the reliability of a Ruf car, it just pisses me off when people think that a ruf car can drive on water if you will, just because it is a ruf.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned
Divi996tt is infamous around these parts
Thanks Surfer for responding. Good luck with your project.
Divi

Old 08-24-2006, 06:09 PM
esemes is infamous around these parts
anxiously awaiting baselines.....

best of luck, and keep us posted!

ese

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...