996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:33 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what the fuzz is all about here. Silversurfer wants more power for his Ruf car and is getting it from a very well respected hands of Kevin. How is this different from the CGT or GT2 guys getting their cars modded. It's very fortunate that we all here get the opportunity to see the baseline performance of this exquisite car. And thank you for that opportunity. Silversurfer, knowing Kevin 's capability, your car will be one of a kind when it's all said and done.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
Don't forget that all Ruf Vin cars have a built in cage that's integrated to the structure of pillars and roof. That extra level of safety helps when you dip into the 10s or even 9s.

Good luck Surfer.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
You just proved my point without realizing it.

The RWD RT-12 that is in the list has 5% less drivetrain loss than the AWD Cars that are listed above and below it. This means that even with the advantage of RWD, thus having 5% LESS drivetrain loss...it is still getting beat by AWD cars making 700 HP at the engine, that are simultaneously losing 40-50 of that HP to their wheels. Put simply, if that particular RT-12 were AWD...having the same drivetrain loss disadvantage as the 700HP AWD cars...it would have only trapped 131-132 mph.

Now compared to my car, which is also RWD, the RUF is 2 mph slower. And on that particular day (at 1.3 BAR), my car was making no more than 670 HP (570 rwhp). Yet the RUF still doesn't trap as high as my car does.

Also...Road and Track uses equipment that is not as accurate as dragstrip equipment. And most of their times show faster trap speeds than what owners normally run at the track.

The numbers prove that car is making right around a *true* 650 HP, and no more.

I'm not into dyno numbers either. I could care less about them. I only care about results...and so far, I haven't seen anything substantial that proves to me that RUF cars deliver measurably better performance compared to other tuned cars. Better warranty, yes. Better performance...still waiting on proof.

Originally Posted by Erik

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=55163

In order of Trap Speed:
11.09 @ 140.0 - EVOMS 800 HP TT (AWD at time of run)
10.76 @ 136.5 - Sharky / Sharkwerks 800 HP TT (AWD)
10.86 @ 136.0 - Divexxtreme / Protomotive 700 HP TT (RWD)
10.88 @ 134.7 - Joetwint / EVOMS 700 HP TT (AWD)
11.32 @ 134.3 - RennTechV12 / EVOMS 700HP TT (AWD)
10.98 @ 134.0 - Cgmeredithjr / Imagine Auto 700 HP GT2
11.0x @ 133.9 - RUF RT-12 650 HP TT (RWD)
11.01 @ 133.8 - Excellence Magazine / EVOMS 700HP TT (AWD)
11.36 @ 132.0 - BuddyG / Stage 5 650 HP TT (AWD)
10.74 @ 131.7 - Hamann7 / Protomotive 700 HP TT (AWD)
11.21 @ 131.1 - VRAlexander / S Car Go 650 HP TT (AWD)

11.34 @ 129.6 - EVOMS 700 HP TT (AWD)

I am sure the RT12 was on P Zero Rossos, how about the others?

If I am correct, those are the R&T figures for the RT12.
I was there when they drove it on the back streets around Pfaffenhausen in the middle of the night. Not exactly a fully prepped drag strip

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....highlight=rt12

Never mind, to each his own.

But to ruin a RUF R Turbo must be a really, really bad investment. Sell it, buy a new one and do whatever you like to it.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-25-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:52 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alexcwt
Don't forget that all Ruf Vin cars have a built in cage that's integrated to the structure of pillars and roof. That extra level of safety helps when you dip into the 10s or even 9s.

Good luck Surfer.
Nah, I think I'll take that out and put an aftermarket cage in Not!

Heaven forbid I should take off my Brembos (with a Ruf paint job) and replace them with a better performing Brembo kit without a Ruf paint job.

As others have said, to each his own..I'm just amazed at how up in arms some got and frankly, how many views and replies the thread has gotten in such a short time.

I like this board, it's nice and active and there is a lot of open exchange here.

I will report back as soon as I've got more information.

Last edited by silversurfer; 08-24-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future

Good luck Surfer.
Really?

I thought the IRC (Integrated Roll Cage) was an option. I did not know it came standard in all Ruf VIN cars. One thing is for sure though. It's a work of art that is worth it's weight in gold.

Can anyone else confirm this? Maybe one of the RAC guys can chime in.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Yes, it's standard on the Ruf VIN cars. It's an option on the converted cars.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 PM
very expensive option for the converted cars, I might add.

Last edited by Alexcwt; 08-25-2006 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Banned
Achtuning is infamous around these parts
More power to you Ben! Your car is sick and it will only be that much better with Kevin's handy work. I can't wait to go for a ride in it again!!

Old 08-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Also...Road and Track uses equipment that is not as accurate as dragstrip equipment. And most of their times show faster trap speeds than what owners normally run at the track.
R&T use a 100Hz GPS system, worth a fortune. How accurate it is I don't know, but it's hard to get anything better portable.

Edit: btw, what tires and conditions were there when you set your time?

Last edited by Erik; 08-25-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 AM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Originally Posted by tradin1
according to wayne and or hanz in dallas, the 550 conversion comes with no warranty.
Complete BS...in fact, Ruf went beyond the warranty when I had a small issue and stand by their products 110%...and my car was a conversion.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tradin1
according to wayne and or hanz in dallas, the 550 conversion comes with no warranty.
I am sorry but this can not be correct.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:34 PM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
I think Ill wade in here and add my two cents, which i hope are somewhat valid considering my R turbo is this ones sister car (silversurfers is about one week older than ours)

I think honestly i wouldnt let anyone other than ruf touch our car for further modification. When the time comes, maybe we will go for a 3,8l 650bhp engine, and also i have seen probably 5 or so ruf 3,8l engines on a maha engine dyno and they make considerably more than stated, and throughout the rev range.

I hope all goes well with your car, but i guarantee you the difference on the street will not be much over your 550....you have to make huge bhp leaps to notice anything appreciable in 1st 2nd and 3rd 4th gear (which lets face it in the u.s thats all you get to experience unfortunately)

I wouldnt do it, but its your car. Please keep us updated, and i would love to see the baseline figs too.

Also the ruf 550 uses KKK24s...

very best
adam

Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Wow, adam. That is an awesome list of cars in your sig. Got any pics?

What does Ruf Team 2005 Alumni mean? Were you working for Ruf?

Old 08-26-2006, 02:41 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Yep i pretty much live there

here are some pics:

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/sho...=1&ppuser=1112

Old 08-26-2006, 03:58 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Surfer.
i LOVE that about the ruf vin cars!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, my Ruf is going under the knife...