996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire opinions (PS2 vs. RE050A PP)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 AM
kunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura about
Tire opinions (PS2 vs. RE050A PP)...

I am looking to get tires in the stock sizes (225x40x18, 295x30x18) for my 996tt. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on their opinions on the Michelin PS2 vs. the Bridgestone RE050A PP. Any opinions on either tire will help.

I drive my car in Seattle as a daily driver. Haven't gotten out to the track (although I want to, but probably won't happen till next year).

Thanks,
Kunal

Old 08-24-2006, 06:37 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
If you want grip (dry and wet), comfort and don't mind the softside walls then definately go for PS2's about the RE050 I don't think there's much experience around here with this specific tire but I tried them on another car and it had the same softsidewalls I hate so much. Between the two the PS2's is safest bet BY FAR but if you ask me (I got PS2's at the moment) I wouldn't buy any of those... if you want ultimate street perfomance go for Advan Neova AD07 and if want a performance tire with a bit more compliance to the street, wet conditions, etc. go for Bridgestone SO-2A N-rated which was designed for the car in the first place. Hope I could help...

Old 08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kunal

I drive my car in Seattle as a daily driver. Haven't gotten out to the track (although I want to, but probably won't happen till next year).

Thanks,
Kunal
Good idea to stay in school and finish all your requirements first then hit the track with me next year Doc.
MPS2 is what I ' d recommend..Bridgetstone is very noisy on the road.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
porschedog is infamous around these parts
..Bridgetstone is very noisy on the road.

That's a massive understatement!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:44 PM
kunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Good idea to stay in school and finish all your requirements first then hit the track with me next year Doc.
MPS2 is what I ' d recommend..Bridgetstone is very noisy on the road.
Too early to call me Doc yet Hopefully next year, I will be able to take a couple days off here and there!!

I am leaning towards the MPS2, but the Bridgestones are $300 cheaper right now (on promotion at Tire Rack).

Old 08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
The MPS2's are generally accepted as "one of if not the" best all round tire for this car.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:19 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
The MPS2's are generally accepted as "one of if not the" best all round tire for this car.
+1...................

Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Not perfect for the mild suspension Turbos, great for the GT3 and stiffer suspended Turbos.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:31 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Happy with the PS2s.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:25 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
The RE050A PP is intended to replace the S-03, which is why they have been discontinued. Our tests found them to be as good in the wet, MUCH QUIETER, and better wearing that the S-03 was. How they compare against the PS2 will develop over time, but overall they were very good. I'm anxious to see how well it rates out as they sell, but I liked them quite a bit. For rain grip, they are a smidge better than the PS2. You can read our test results at:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-18-2006, 03:58 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
The current pricing of the Bridgestone is very aggressive and I'm seriously considering them. I mean good grief, a whole set is only $862 vs. $1184 for a set of PS2s. But here is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger: Compared to the PS2s, the RE050A are 4 lbs heavier each in 225/40/18, and 6 lbs heavier each in 295/30/18! This is according to the spec sheets on Tirerack's site.

Last edited by roadsterdoc; 09-18-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure why Tire rack took the link off for the R&D article for the Eagle F1-GSD but the RE050 is ranked 9th in that article.

Not sure if I am allow to do this but here is the link. It's 4.5mb.

http://www.lotususa.com/Alex/Tech/Ca...y_f1_gs_ds.pdf

The way I see it, you drive a top of the line 911 with the highest technology of Porsche dishes out. The only thing that is left between you and the road is the 4 contact patches. It's not a good idea to go cheap. Read the article and make your own decision.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
just saw one of my PS2's is mounted backwards (R rear) where the outside edge is actually mounted on the inside of the wheel. am planning on getting it swapped out soon but just wondering if that affects handling at all or any other safety issues i need to be weary of while driving before I get it fixed?

Last edited by Lizard1; 09-18-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Theoretically it should behave differently specially in the wet. Michelin has a different compound on 2/3 of its width and on the outer 1/3 of the thread being specially adapted to dry conditions (makes sense as only in the dry you can really load the outer edge) but I reckon that if you drive normally (within speed limits) you won't notice the difference.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alexcwt
I'm not sure why Tire rack took the link off for the R&D article for the Eagle F1-GSD but the RE050 is ranked 9th in that article.

Not sure if I am allow to do this but here is the link. It's 4.5mb.

http://www.lotususa.com/Alex/Tech/Ca...y_f1_gs_ds.pdf

The way I see it, you drive a top of the line 911 with the highest technology of Porsche dishes out. The only thing that is left between you and the road is the 4 contact patches. It's not a good idea to go cheap. Read the article and make your own decision.
Now I agree with your 2nd paragraph 100% and couldn't have said it better. Tires are the biggest performance upgrade you can make to a car.

I remember being excited about that article when that C&D issue arrived in my mailbox. After reading it I realized that it was not a pure performance test. It looked at many subjective factors as well as cost which skewed the results heavily. The results are really odd. For example:
Hankook Ventus beats Toyo T1R, Bridgestone, Pzero and BFG T/A KD!
Our favorite Michelin PS2 is fourth, behind Yokohama (3rd), Continental (2nd!), and GoodYear F1 (1st). Yeah, right!

C&D admitted that the Contis were bland and that they were surprised they made 2nd. Like many of the C&D car comparisons, they fluff up the real data with stuff that is BS to you and me. They have to please their audience (which 99% have never been to a track). I trust Grassroots Motorsports a helluva lot more for a good performance tire review.

Regarding "going cheap," Bridgestone has an excellent reputation regarding performance. They and Michelin are the top two race tire manufacturers in the world. I think trying Kumho or Hankook would be going cheap. My hope is that the new Bridgestone has been introduced with a very low price to get us to try them over our current favorite. Sure, they could turn out to be inferior to the PS2s. At this point all I have to go on is their price, Bridgestone's reputation, and their weight (they're porkers!). Worse case scenario, I think I can put up with them on the street for a year. They can't be worse than Pzeros.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire opinions (PS2 vs. RE050A PP)...