996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Transmission gear ratios with the GT700

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:12 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sharkster
Jean qould you quite corrupting 996TT guys lol? For real though, Chuck is right, one of the reasons I like the tip is the gearing is siginificantly better down low over the 6speeds.
too bad i quit my job and i need to exercise some fiscal restraint... ask james how much work it will take and send me an email - i'll see if i can add it to the budget

(and not to derail the thread but it is related - is it possible to up the rev limiter a few hundred more RPM? or are the gt700 turbos dead after 7k?)

- chuck

Old 08-29-2006, 03:51 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Unfortunately I have no way of data logging my car from a standard GT700.

Ben

Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242
too bad i quit my job and i need to exercise some fiscal restraint... ask james how much work it will take and send me an email - i'll see if i can add it to the budget

(and not to derail the thread but it is related - is it possible to up the rev limiter a few hundred more RPM? or are the gt700 turbos dead after 7k?)

- chuck
LOL he's darn good at them (did my 930 one a few weeks back for me) so that won't be too bad... I think he wants to do it on our 6speed 996TT as well to allow people to see/try

Old 08-29-2006, 06:07 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
BigBadBen,
My Rennlist friend, LAT (has a RUF vin CTR2)
has an AX-22 and lives in Canada.
PM me for his details.

MK

Old 08-29-2006, 06:24 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Marty... sorry to go off topic.. but did you ever get H&Rs sways to go with the suspension set up? Do it man...

Old 08-29-2006, 06:38 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Jean, My redline is 7K now so are you saying Todd at EVO could program to 7,200 without doing the cams?

Ben
Ben,

You don't really want to do that unless you upgrade the rods. You start pushing those rpm's much past 7000 for very long and it is a sure fire way to losing your motor. It just isn't worth it.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by carendt242

- chuck
Sorry I forgot to answer the second part (been multitasking too much today lol!)... it's not really worth it since the power drops off up there. Wouldn't bother dipping in there unless you are at the track and don't want the extra shift

Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Blue Bayou is infamous around these parts
I want to thank all of you that contributed to this trend.

My car is going to through the GT 700 upgrade now. With the transmission coming out anyway why not get some gears that take full advantage of this power. I am now looking into a longer 1st, a close to stock 2nd, lower 3rd through 5th and a stock 6th gear as my overdrive. Or just lower 3rd through 5th the rest stock.

If anyone has done this with a 7,000 (+ -) rpm max let me know what you experienced?

Thanks again,

Old 08-29-2006, 07:47 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Got it Chad.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Quoting Jean:
My engine (993 not 996) has a rev limiter of 7150RPMs, but my gear ratios are taller, giving me a 1st gear of 62mph or so at 7100RPM. My gearbox was built by Holinger Engineering in NZ and then later modified further by Ricardo in the UK (F1 and Veyron builder). It is an undestructible sequential 6 speed gearbox. Cup gears are very strong but for high performance turbo engines, or cars running enduros, they can fail, I am guessing Brian used something .

For the record--
Hollinger are built in Melbourne,Australia--- not NZ . The Ricardo sequential is built in England and have been used widely in Europe on 996 Turbo race cars- notably by PSI.The cup gearboxes have proved to be fairly high maitainence as they were underspecced intitially and have already had stronger upgrades.
There are other sequential gearboxes under development that are built in Porsche case that will be capable of handlingthe turbo torque characteristics.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Sharky
No worries for your 996 customers, sequential gearboxes are nothing more than primitive tiptronics after all, you are way ahead of the game

CJV is absolutely right, I thought GT700 had internals done, they could still handle higher RPMs for sure, it all depends on the level of restraint that one has, and how aggressive he drives, but it is certainly not advisable. The level of component stress is exponential, not linear, the higher the RPMs go.

Red9, thanks for the correction, Australia that is, no offense Most gearbox builders I have talked to use Cup gears which I was not convinced with for our higher torque engines. An oil cooler helps greatly in this respect though.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jean
My gearbox was built by Holinger Engineering in NZ and then later modified further by Ricardo in the UK (F1 and Veyron builder). It is an undestructible sequential 6 speed gearbox.
Jean, Holinger Engineering is an Australian company located in Victoria http://www.holinger.com.au/product_p...categoryid=336

I have a Holinger sequential 6 speed in my M Coupe. You can see a snippet of it in action in this movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mDZgd9Yzs

Edit: beaten!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Mr. Blonde

Yes, sorry to our Australian friends. This particular gearbox was built for Le Mans so it had the Ricardo treatment afterwards.

There is a company in the UK that has paddle shifters that can be fitted for any sequential gearbox with the ignition cutoff, display etc..I have tested one on a Radical a couple of weeks ago, it works amazingly well.

The sound at the end of the video is what I was talking about, only yours is milder, this is the sound level I want to get to.

Are those Kirkey seats? They look fantastic, Just got myself a pair