996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Zero Clearance Experience:Part 2- The 1/4 mile and some GPS times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006 | 09:34 PM
KPG
|
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
The Zero Clearance Experience:Part 2- The 1/4 mile and some GPS times

Well, I went to the drags tonight and it was decidedly a mixed bag. The car was running very sluggish and it was hot and humid. High 80's track temp and thunderstorms rolling in. The car never ran well and I never saw 1.2 bar all night and only saw 1.1 bar once.Basically a 1 bar night. The check engine light finally came on, but more on that later. I recently purchased a Racelogic Driftbox GPS timer and was planning on doing the high speed 60-130 at the track.This is the cousin to the VBOX which is used by most manufactures and auto mags. It updates speed and position from 4 satellites 10 times a second. It was dead on with the track times . I figure I would just keep my foot in it just a bit past the traps and that would be good for 130 . Well, the car was falling flat on its face up high and I could not get the times I wanted.I did get some some down low times. The car was absolutely ferocious down low. Spooled like mad. The best times are
ET 11.7719
Trap 122.61
60ft 1.7999

The Gps times are 0-60 3.7 sec
50-70 1.4 sec

I have posted the time slips and I will post the GPS files with more data once I figure out how to do it.
Now I really should be happy since my last trip to the drag was a 12 flat at 117 with a stage 1 EVO. My trap speed increased nearly 6 mph and the ET went down a quarter second. The power is there and these turbos flew but it is frustrating that these cars are so touchy. Now for the engine code. Apparently one of my cam banks is not adjusting properly. The code I pulled from the ECM is P1349 Camshaft Adjustment Bank 1 Below Limit. I checked my diagnostics manual and apparently my hydraulic cam solenoid isnt behaving. Anyone have this problem ? Where is the solenoid and how hard or expensive is it to change?

All in all I guess I am happy, those are pretty stout numbers with a lame cam bank. I will get this resolved and try again and get those darn 60-130 numbers. BTW what would I expect those numbers to be with a cooperating vehicle.? Remember- Zero Clearance: There Is No Substitute. Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 11-29-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2006 | 09:55 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Thx for posting. Nice times. Keep us posted on how you like the drift box. What was the elevation?

Old 08-26-2006 | 10:08 PM
KPG
|
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
Thx for posting. Nice times. Keep us posted on how you like the drift box. What was the elevation?
It was MI, so not much elevation maybe a couple hundred feet.The Driftbox is great so far.Well worth the 750. I am trying to do some datalogging now. Kevin

Old 08-26-2006 | 10:49 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
11.7 is pretty dam fast for a bad night! Congrats!!
Now show us some drift box data!

Old 08-26-2006 | 10:50 PM
KPG
|
Originally Posted by rwm514
11.7 is pretty dam fast for a bad night! Congrats!!
Now show us some drift box data!
I am working on it!

Old 08-27-2006 | 10:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Hey, you are right on the money.... 11.7 is about right. nothing to be ashamed of. I dont know more then a hand full of tts that run that... and if they do they are tuner cars...
congrats...
p.s. why were u boosting only 1.1 bars??? don't u have the upgraded springs?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-27-2006 | 10:43 AM
KPG
|
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Hey, you are right on the money.... 11.7 is about right. nothing to be ashamed of. I dont know more then a hand full of tts that run that... and if they do they are tuner cars...
congrats...
p.s. why were u boosting only 1.1 bars??? don't u have the upgraded springs?
Mark, I only saw 1.1 once during the night, mostly is was 1.0 bar. I do not have the upgraded springs, they are enroute. What I do have is an engine code at the track that was keeping some top end grunt down, I have a bad Camshaft Adjustment Bank 1- Below Limit. I have to replace my hydraulic valve solenoid and then with the new gates installed I will try it again. I do not know if the engine code affected boost or not but the car was sustaining 1.2 regularly up until that point. We'll see what happens. Kevin

Old 08-27-2006 | 10:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
well that explains it... once u get the upgraded springs ur car will change totally. why didnt kevin hook up up with the springs from the get go?
BTW- they may be a little bit finicky getting them dialed in... some shut the TB down... I had that issue for a year til I got the diode installed. either way, 11.7 is really good.
I don't know much about the solenoid issue... but if u have warranty.. make sure u go to a freindly P car dealer to get it checked out.... casue once they see a ecu and turbos.. they may refuse the work.
markski

click to view

Old 08-27-2006 | 12:33 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
kevin, what kind of gas were you running? As Mark says those times are quite good!

Old 08-27-2006 | 04:25 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Kevin,

Very good 60' time.

What launch technique did you use?

Old 08-29-2006 | 08:23 PM
KPG
|
Originally Posted by wross996TT
kevin, what kind of gas were you running? As Mark says those times are quite good!
I was running Sunoco 94. Thanks, I think with new wastegate springs and a 5bar FPR and a sustained 1.2 bar I will squeak out a little bit better ET although a 1.79 60 ft isnt easy to repeat. I was doing 1.9's all night consistently. I am very confident of a 1-2 mph increase in trap speed with the car running the full 1.2 bar. We will see in Sept, plus dyno sheets as well! Kevin

Old 08-29-2006 | 08:27 PM
KPG
|
Originally Posted by John D II
Kevin,

Very good 60' time.

What launch technique did you use?
John, I kept it under 3K rpm when I left the line. With the quick spool and the LWFW with the increased clamping force anything greater was all wheelspin. I tried to vary between 2700-3000 rpm launch. The stock Conti's had around 20psi in the rear and they held up pretty good. I think next month with the car fully sorted and cooler temps I will see better times. Kevin

Old 08-29-2006 | 09:56 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
That's about the same RPM as I used to achieve my better times. Anything more created too much spin.

How much of a difference does lowering the tire pressure make?

Old 08-29-2006 | 11:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
18 psi and 2800 rpm launch

click to view

Old 08-29-2006 | 11:22 PM
Thanks Mark - I'll give that a try next time.

Is it safe to run at 18PSI? I'm sure it is, since you are suggesting it - but are there any concerns running such a low pressure?

What about shift points - red line every gear?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Zero Clearance Experience:Part 2- The 1/4 mile and some GPS times