996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Would you trailer a car 1150 miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 PM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
Would you trailer a car 1150 miles?

Never trailered a car before. It's an enclosed trailer and I will be towing with a rented chevy truck and enclosed trailer. Guys who have done this....is it a big deal or not? The trailer is at 4500lbs and another 3K lbs for the car. The car is in WA so i'm not too sure about the drive from here in LA.

PS.....Intercity wants $1150 to do it. Is that my only other dependable option??

Thanks guys..

Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
Well it shouldn't be a big deal, all I-5, assuming the truck is set up properly. Kind of a heavy trailer, it may not weigh that much, if it does then make sure the trailer brakes work OK.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:51 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i'd spend the money have Intercity do it. just me though.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
No big deal to tow, so long as you are getting a 3/4 ton or bigger pick up. However 1,150 miles at 8 miles per gallon is 144 gallons of fuel @ $3.25 per gallon is $480 in fuel. Add in rented truck, flight up or back, food, drink, your time and overnight stay and Intercity or other transport is not that unreasonable and a whole lot less hassle.

Either way enjoy the trip.

JCM

Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 AM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
unless this isnt your first time towing prepare for a somewhat stressful drive with your baby back there, unless the tow rig is sufficiently setup you will DEFINITELY FEEL the weight. Even tho my company paid for the move last time around (SF - PHX) I chose to do the work myself. Next time I will definitely be driving or shipping the car back.

Originally Posted by supercup
No big deal to tow, so long as you are getting a 3/4 ton or bigger pick up. However 1,150 miles at 8 miles per gallon is 144 gallons of fuel @ $3.25 per gallon is $480 in fuel. Add in rented truck, flight up or back, food, drink, your time and overnight stay and Intercity or other transport is not that unreasonable and a whole lot less hassle.

Either way enjoy the trip.

JCM

Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 AM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Shouldn't be too big of a deal at all as long as the rental has sufficient towing capacity..just take it slow, feel your way out, there's quite a bit of hills to conquer in OR but all in all it's a beautiful, easy drive.

FYI, I might have a contact for you for a shipper who has room for another car down to LA from WA in about a week. PM me if interested.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
I tow quite a bit, you definitely need a brake controller for that kind of weight, if something pulls in front of you, you would be suprised how long it takes to slow down and stop. Even with the Cayennes big brakes I have one installed. I think you would enjoy the trip more if you bought a one way plane ticket and drove it home. It would probably cost less as well.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:06 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
what did you pick up? A TT? I have a friend in WA that I've been wanting to go visit, so how about this, you pay for the plane ticket up there and reimburse me for the gas, and I'll drive it back down for you! That would probably be quite a bit cheaper than both of those other alternatives. I live on the Venice/Culver City border, so it would be perfect. But if you don't want to put the mileage on the car, then I can understand wanting to trailer it.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
fly or have Intercity do it.
Unless this sounds like a hoot of a good time to you...

MK

Old 08-29-2006, 11:36 AM
iborroel is infamous around these parts
I have bought two cars from out of state (Thousand Oaks, CA and Salt Lake City, UT) and I drove back both times to Washington. I had no issues and it was a blast driving back.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Shouldn't be too big of a deal at all as long as the rental has sufficient towing capacity..just take it slow, feel your way out, there's quite a bit of hills to conquer in OR but all in all it's a beautiful, easy drive.

FYI, I might have a contact for you for a shipper who has room for another car down to LA from WA in about a week. PM me if interested.
PM Sent...

Old 08-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by 20C4S
i'd spend the money have Intercity do it. just me though.
I'm leaning that way Arling...

Old 08-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
what did you pick up? A TT? I have a friend in WA that I've been wanting to go visit, so how about this, you pay for the plane ticket up there and reimburse me for the gas, and I'll drive it back down for you! That would probably be quite a bit cheaper than both of those other alternatives. I live on the Venice/Culver City border, so it would be perfect. But if you don't want to put the mileage on the car, then I can understand wanting to trailer it.
TT...no not this time. I've gone to the dark side Scott, ie:....GT3.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996turbo
TT...no not this time. I've gone to the dark side Scott, ie:....GT3.
Nice, I bet you're gonna have a lot of fun with that car! Congrats and I can't wait to see the pix.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Go-fast is infamous around these parts
996, I’d seriously considering having it shipped by a repuptable, enclosed transport who does these type of cars ( See threads here)

Unless you have a Featherlite auto trailer, most are quite heavy, and it might be a stressful learning experience. Aren’t your true throw-away cost about the same? It cost me < $800 Cdn each way Edmonton to/from Vancouver to ship a 4RE 355, and 360 which I’d done a few times for servicing.

Are you totally familiar with your car’s condition? If you use a trucker they will want someone to sign off at their pre-loading inspection . These guys are Hyper-thorough here to prevent later shipping damage claims.

If they have enough room on your street to offload, they may drop the car right at your driveway!. More fun than opening a Xmas present. – pics attached. Hassle free, and worth it. But that’s my opinion.

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you trailer a car 1150 miles?