996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ceramic Coating on headers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I don't think extrude-hone is going to be cost-effective
here. It's a great process, and I had my 408 Mustang
intake done, but a header is mostly smooth pipe already.
The only area you need work on is the readily available
opening at the cylinder head flange. This can more economically
matched and ported by hand. The extrude-hone company
would have to build a gig to match the Porsche head, so the
first few folks excited enough to convince the extrude
company to do this would pay for that gig too.
Joe

Old 01-23-2004, 04:45 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
You want to perform all drilling, welding etc. before you ceramic coat your header.

As for porting to match your head exhaust port to your headers..... NOT. Not unless you care to lose power through harmonic waves flowing back into your valves.

Last edited by cjv; 01-23-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
I spoke to the place Chad recommended for coating (Performancecoatings.com) and said to do the inside of the headers because even if it came off it would do less damage, if even any, than the carbon already does. They also felt doing my cats and muffler is a very good idea and aded that I should do the hot housings on my turbos as well. They were great guys to talk to and their prices are really good.

Old 01-23-2004, 07:47 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
We told you they are great! I didn't think of the other components ... but yet again Cary, nice job. You're right!

Old 01-23-2004, 08:00 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Cary,

I ceramic coated my S Car Go Racing headers. I then wrapped my headers with Thermo Tec wrap. I also wrapped the kats, expansion chambers and used a blanket on parts of the mufflers. Rob King at S Car Go received an e-mail from Stef warning against wrapping the muffler. He said the wrap could cause damage due to the extreme heat to the muffler and would result in loss of power. Rob removed the blanket from the mufflers.

Last edited by cjv; 01-23-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:10 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I was going to say I'm not sure you would want to wrap the mufflers? The cats yes

Old 01-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
Thanks for all the great advice... OK..... here's what I think I'll do. The headers and cats for sure but, NOT the inside of either. I did some work with the GTS IMSA Nissan 300ZX turbo's in the early 90's and I remember them rapping the the mufflers on those cars. I'm still in touch with the guy that ran that team so, I think I'll give him a call to see what they learned in their application and see if it applys to us.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Zippy
IS header ceramic coating something you can do yourself.

A dude in our local PCA is buying a system http://www.columbiacoatings.com/ for doing this kinda thing."

Any input on this?

Mike
Repeat Question

Old 01-24-2004, 10:12 AM
cjv
Cary,

I have had Performance Coatings do two sets of S Car Go Racing headers for me. No problem with either set regarding the inside coating. I am running far in excess of 614 rwhp at this time.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:46 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Question still remains:
Should I go with modified stock headers like on Sharky's or should I get the 4GT headers and have Kevin port/polish and coat them??
Anyone have a set of stockers they wanna get rid of for cheap?

Old 01-24-2004, 11:08 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
The general concensus used to be, years ago, that you did not wrap headers on daily driven street carsbecause of the risk of cracking. Is this not an issue with today's high quality stainless steel headers?

Old 01-24-2004, 11:28 AM
cjv
Not on 16 gauge stainless steel SCARGO Racing headers. There is a dfference. All other headers I have seen are made of thinner 18 or 20 gauge material. Quality of SCARGO's material and workmanship is like the quality of Europipe exhausts. Mark Robles hand builds each header. Before building headers for SCARGO, he built headers for Sanderson. He has over 35 years experience designing and constructing headers. Unlike other companies, SCARGO offers their headers in different tube diameters which addresses different power band ranges. One size, contrary to what you may think does not perform best in all ranges. Mark has been doing this all his life and his pride shows.

Last edited by cjv; 01-24-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:14 PM
cjv
Kevin,

If you use the correct filler metal when welding your headers and then post heat treat in a controlled oven (stress relieve), you will not have stress cracks on the bends or the weld zone.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Ok up to this point I'm following all this pretty well ... but the last comment really through me be for a loop .. Rain? ... What's that? Could someone elaborate more please.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:07 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Any problems running ceramic coating on a daily driver in the rain?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating on headers...