996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mexico in the Morning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Mexico in the Morning

I made a quick trip to Mexico this morning. I had to get my new fender roller modified to fit the bolt pattern on my car . My friend Paul, has a shop down there .

On the way back to the border, a tuned up car comes skreeming up. The driver slowed up when about 50 yards past me. The car looked like one of those older Nissans made up to look like Skylines. As I approach, he nails it and so do I. I was in 3rd at about 3700 RPM. I wasn't catching up to him! I only started to make any ground on him over 4500 RPM. By that time I had traffic infront and had to slow. He kept going a bit and then slowed also... as flames shot out of his tail-pipe.

I instantly though this thing might be for real. I pull up behind and see the GTR badge. When I pulled up to the passanger side to compliment him on his power and was face to face with the other driver, I knew it was the real deal. We decided to give it another pull.

I looked down at my tach to see if I had any room to downshift from 3rd and catch the top of second. (I wasn't prepared to get stuck below the powerband again.) There was room and I caught 2nd at about 5500 RPM and we were gone. By the time we had got to the top of 3rd, I had pulled a couple of lengths on the guy.

I was very impressed with that Skyline GTR. Not only a rare car but very fast!

I can't wait for my next excursion to Mexico.

Last edited by Zippy; 09-11-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:05 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Fun trip indeed. It's possible I may have seen that car in the St. Albert suburb of Mexico last summer!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 PM
orijinal_poser is infamous around these parts
racing a skyline is always an interesting story!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jamie
Fun trip indeed. It's possible I may have seen that car in the St. Albert suburb of Mexico last summer!
Hey Local Guy! Can I see your Enzo when you get it?

Old 09-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Craigger is infamous around these parts
A friend has a Skyline, at first i thought he was just another tool catching the tail end of the JDM scene. this guys thing made me actually scream holy **** as we did a pull onto 401 at eglington. I have never seen 275 that fast.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by orijinal_poser
racing a skyline is always an interesting story!
That's the first time I've actually seen one live.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Zippy
The driver slowed up when about 50 yards past me
I thought they used metric in Mexico?

Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Zippy
Hey Local Guy! Can I see your Enzo when you get it?
Lol, I'm about 3000 miles from local!! I'm in the GTA, but I saw that car going to the Fountain pools late last summer!

Heck, since you asked, you can have my Enzo!!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Thanks for sharing Zippy, sounded like a fun experience Be safe!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by jamie
Lol, I'm about 3000 miles from local!! I'm in the GTA, but I saw that car going to the Fountain pools late last summer!

Heck, since you asked, you can have my Enzo!!

A) You made reference to St. Albert ( and have CTR.A-T as a home page). I figured you you must be from around here (Edmonton).

B) GTA - Greater Toronto Area???

C) WTF are Fountain pools?

D) You got a deal on the Enzo!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by skibum
I thought they used metric in Mexico?
They use it hear in Canada too! Ya gotta play to your audience!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 PM
wonderbread is infamous around these parts
There are actually on ton of skylines in the Edmonton area.Since they became legal to import many people have been bringing them in.Not too bad of a car for $15k CAD.A little heavy though. Zippy you should come out to my car clubs lapping days at Namao.There are always a few skylines out there running

Last edited by wonderbread; 09-12-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by wonderbread
There are actually on ton of skylines in the Edmonton area.Since they became became legal to import many people have been bringing them in.Not to bad of a car for $15k CAD.A little heavy though. Zippy you should come out to my car clubs lapping days at Namao.There are always a few skylines out there running
That would be cool. When are you going out next? What club are you with?

Old 09-12-2006, 04:05 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
a properly tuned skyline is not to be trifled with.

too many of them are set-up for straightline duty, but they're to be respected on a track as well.

remember, nissan pulled porsche's pants down around the nurburgring many years ago when the first generation GT-R (R32) was introduced. that car dominated touring car racing wherever it went, and had the industry sitting up and taking notice.

they're not pretty, but there's something about the final gen's (R34) looks that is so appealing to me.

pity skylines have never been made in LHD.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:33 AM
orijinal_poser is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hesperus
a properly tuned skyline is not to be trifled with.

too many of them are set-up for straightline duty, but they're to be respected on a track as well.

remember, nissan pulled porsche's pants down around the nurburgring many years ago when the first generation GT-R (R32) was introduced. that car dominated touring car racing wherever it went, and had the industry sitting up and taking notice.

they're not pretty, but there's something about the final gen's (R34) looks that is so appealing to me.

pity skylines have never been made in LHD.
agreed.

the skylines dominated japanese road racing for so many years and they still do very well in JGTC racing. i agree also that R34's look very good compared to the rest of the chassis'.

about skylines never coming in LHD, they actually did! they were sold in russia and in the middle east as LHD cars.

also fun fact: nissan skyline GTR's RWD/AWD selectable tranny was inspired by the porsche 959.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mexico in the Morning