996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Zero Clearance Experience:The Numbers Are In 0-60,0-100,60-130,30-50,ET,Trap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Kevin
I hope you understand that I am not disputing the data. I am just correcting your earlier statements by saying that errors due to slope or mishandling or calibration can be there and undetected to anyone, regardless of how good the device is. I am saying from experience that the only way to spot them (when they are not gross) is through the data retrieve and some calculations.
Cheers
Jean , what I meant in the previous post was that there is a utility to detect relative height. Basically, I was stating that you can, and probably will be called on the data. You are correct that the average person cannot find a slope deviation error.This data can be mind numbing, I fully realize your passion for it now. Kevin

Old 09-13-2006, 10:20 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Kevin,

Sorry for going OT here, but I would like to put a word of caution...If you are on a slope, you will indeed see better times, also if your unit is not level mounted or calibrated, it can give you foul readings.

The only way to check this is through retrieving the run logs and do some calculations.

Thanks again.
Jean, what are you looking for in the calculations that indicates a run is not valid?

Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin,

Yes the data available with a simple device can be quite overwhelming. I removed my professional datalogger with all the sensors etc..to replace it with the AX22.

Here is a graph that shows the same car in 2 different runs that I consolidated together, with 2.4 seconds difference from 60-130mph. Miscalibration and/or slope, no way to pick it up.. After analyzing the raw data, turned out there was a slope in the faster run.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ebaker
Jean, what are you looking for in the calculations that indicates a run is not valid?
Ebaker, he is looking for slope deviations, a downhill run. As he stated , he is not disputing these numbers in any way. The Long G's are what he has seen and would expect for cars with numbers like these. Kevin

Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 AM
KPG
Jean , here is a graph of the 7.93 sec 60-130 run with relative height and distance. You will find a deviation over approx 1200 feet of 17 feet. I assume this is considered level by your standards? Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 01-03-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Everything seems 100% good, there is no reason at all to think that these runs are not perfect. I like this feature in your logger (the altitude option)!

Ebaker, there is a certain time consuming calculation that can be done if you have all the data available the way the AX22 provides. It basically calculates the speed based on Gs...If the Gs give you a higher or lower calculated speed than the theoretical speed, it means there is tilt, slope or miscalibration. I will be happy to look into any data.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
KPG
Everything seems 100% good, there is no reason at all to think that these runs are not perfect. I like this feature in your logger (the altitude option)!

Ebaker, there is a certain time consuming calculation that can be done if you have all the data available the way the AX22 provides. It basically calculates the speed based on Gs...If the Gs give you a higher or lower calculated speed than the theoretical speed, it means there is tilt, slope or miscalibration. I will be happy to look into any data.
Jean, thanks. I have only scratched the surface with the capabilities of this software. I will try to figure out how to get you the raw data in some form or another, but I fear I may have to read the directions...GASP... in order to do it. I will get back to you. Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 09-13-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
It wil show real time data on the screen. You have to program the parameters for 60-130. It only goes to the first decimal on the real time display, so you need to download the data to a computer to get the real hard numbers, but you will leave the track with a very good idea how you ran. If you need help with the data let me know, heck you can borrow mine if you like. I am interested to see some hard numbers from other vehicles as well. I hope more AX22 data is posted. Kevin
Hey Kevin, of course man! I am so curious as well because the car is damm fast, also with all of your cars it would be really interesting to see! I have someone i know with it, hopefully it supdated or the same one, he thinks it is, BUT i will PM for help on how to use it

Martin

Old 09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Here is some more detailed comparison data. You can only look at the long g’s or speed on separate graphs as they are scaled differently so be careful to compare the right things. Also, I would really like to see rpm data to make sure we are matching things correctly. When I am at the track, I tend to short shift and shift fairly quickly but not real fast as I am taking it easy on my car.

Here is a comparison of the long g’s (accel) from my car on turn 9-10 at Gingerman. It is pretty flat. As you can see, I am really getting outpulled in both gears. In my car’s defense, He is coming in with his foot to the floor and I am coming out of a turn so the initial accell difference is larger than it really would be. You can see his shifts look quicker, I am not sure if it is his shifting faster or quicker recovery of his higher sprung wastegates.

For the speed comparison, again, Kevin's initial advantage is overstated as I did not begin the test with full throttle. The 4th gear pull is closer

I also have some data from turn 4 into turn 5 at Road America. The beginning is pretty flat but the later portion drops downhill. You can see I get outpulled in third but we are roughly equal in fourth (here I am going downhill ).

When you look at the speed, you see the same thing. He gains on me in third but I can only stay even when going down hill.

Kevin, when you gonna have that thing in Chicago so we can visit and compare runs directly (to take out all the other variables to a meaningful comparison)?

Last edited by ColorChange; 09-13-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 PM
KPG
Come on Tim, I already have the hard data- its your turn now. Go to the 1/4 mile and get a trap speed. I will have a dyno sheet Mon- put your car on the dyno as well. Get me 0-60, 30-50,50-70, 0-100, 60-130 on a GPS based data logger. Heck, I will send you mine if you want. I bared my soul for all to see- do the same Kevin

Old 09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
KPG
Tim, I am leaving for Gingerman in a bit. I have yet to try the lap data log feature but I am sure I will be able to show the same graphs at the same point on the track. As long as it doesnt rain. Kevin

Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
C'mon man, that's what I'm doing, I'm dropping mr drawers here.

Like I say, you car sure looks faster and sure looks like it boosts much quicker. Don't get my conclusions wrong. I still want to do side by side pulls. That is my favorite test.

Hey now ... anything above a 1:32 is an excuse ... you know the target. LOL ... have fun.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
KPG
You know Tim, with all due respect. After looking much closer at those graphs and at these speeds, the distance on track would amount to hundreds of feet. That is quite a differential. Kevin

Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Actually, I might like to test your box. That way we at least remove equipment differences. I think I'd be up for that.

Kevin ... what part of "I think you car is spanking mine!" are you confused by?

I can do distance measures (instead of time) as well. This might be interesting.

Last edited by ColorChange; 09-13-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by ColorChange
C'mon man, that's what I'm doing, I'm dropping mr drawers here.

Like I say, you car sure looks faster and sure looks like it boosts much quicker. Don't get my conclusions wrong. I still want to do side by side pulls. That is my favorite test.

Hey now ... anything above a 1:32 is an excuse ... you know the target. LOL ... have fun.
You're just being mean and nasty now! I have a stock suspension and you have Motons. Your car is an honest to god track car, my wife still takes this to Starbucks. OK 1:32 is the goal, but you still have a 1/4 mile time to beat as well. Offer still stands, I will meet you half way for lunch. Kevin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Zero Clearance Experience:The Numbers Are In 0-60,0-100,60-130,30-50,ET,Trap