996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Facts about powerup kits.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Must say that looks kinda serious (!) where does the air filter go ?

Old 09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Must say that looks kinda serious (!) where does the air filter go ?
here you go.....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Damm Mark, looking GOOOODDD

Old 09-15-2006, 02:28 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
O H

M Y

G O D

! ! !

that car is SICK SICK SICK

Old 09-15-2006, 02:51 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
Sports muffler (say Fabspeed w/ 100 cell cats): Drop some weight and reduce backpressure, plus nicer sounds.

Gain: 40 bhp?

Cost: $3,500 USD

EVO MS V Flow intake: Better at getting air in to the pump.

Gain: 20 bhp?

Cost: $800 USD

Headers (Say EVO K16): Better at getting exhaust gasses out.

Gain: 14 bhp?

Cost: $1,200 USD
Sports muffler 40 hp? No way in hell. These claims are ridiculous.

DV's, why don't any of the European tuned cars, (RUF, 9ff, Manthey), some of them with 800 hp, install aftermarket DV's? Just a question.

EVO MS V Flow intake, 20 HP? No way. Show me the money on that one. Also, at what speed do you get this alleged additional HP? 140 to 160 mph? Show me proof, stock air pushed through vs. a modified box, a dyno, trap speed difference, something. Do we really believe that Porsche left an additional 20 hp untapped because of a poorly designed air intake? Why then does it take them an X50 package to get 30 more horses? Hell, just change the airbox and presto, 20 hp.

Headers, 14 hp? Doubt it, more like 8. I agree with just porting the stock ones. I believe that the best thing that will happen after this mod is that the turbo's will spool up and give you max boost 200 to 300 rpms faster. I really don't believe Porsche leaves that kind of horsepower on the table. I really believe it's all a big marketing scheme. IMHO, of course.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 09-15-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:13 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Markski:
HIGh HP turbos $4500 ( upgraded springs) obo ???

What kind are these ? I'm upgrading the K16s right now.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
remember air in air out.. europe clean up your stock headers, flash it,get a evo intake it's a start but no matter what you do their is always one more mod... just did my last 2 weeks ago evo ic's . that's the prob i'm already looking for the next mod gotta have more phoneys

Old 09-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Thank you for the responses, I'm in learning mode!
Originally Posted by maxwell
Lose the headers, airbox and the silicone hoses. Find a used exhaust, fabspeed, europipe, miltek in the for sale section. Now you're looking at 3.5k - 4k.
I have a 2001 with GIAC stage II flash, and a fabspeed loud and put down 447whp and 450wtq. Im still running the stock airbox, and the stock dv's.
So you think the essential value for money performance mods are ECU and Muffler/Cats? I'd love to tap into the secondhand market but I'm based in Sydney, Australia so the freight might be a killer.

Originally Posted by wross996TT
ECU, Exhaust...a must..DV's for sense of reliability. If you want to do headers just port and polish the stock ones. Si hoses only if you are going above 500hp or so. I had problems with the V-flow (it is now off) with my mods at my altitude. Also consider if this is where you are going to stop or is this just the start (so how upgradable are the components...like ECU flash).
Another vote for ECU and muffler/cats .. but with a warning about problems with the EVO MS V Flow Intake. And a vote for port and polish of stock headers over aftermarket headers. Regarding the slippery slope of modificiation, I've got a wild street car (BMW M Coupe) so I only want the good value for money mods on my 996 TT (daily driver).

Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Scott(divirexxtreme) is on stock headers- Todd K. the tuner wanted it this way. He ran a 10.6 1/4 mile.
I think the biggest HP gain will be in good turbos.... and dollar for dollar its the best purchase...
Port the stock headers- $0
used exhaust- $1200
Dvs @ filter- $300
HIGh HP turbos $4500 ( upgraded springs) obo
ECU- $2900 obo
--------------------
+600 HP @ $8900
If I was going to do it again- I know what I would do.
Mark, thanks for the info. I really want to stick with my OEM K16 turbos.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
I think your list is on the money (no pun intended) but I would not go with the air box or headers. the boost hoses and diverters can also be done later and on a street car not that big a deal. only thing you left out is EVO waste gates and you are set. Just my 2 cents
Another vote for dropping the headers and EVO MS V Flow intake.

Originally Posted by KPG
Try to stay with one vendor for a complete package. You want all the parts to work together as a system. There are too many horror stories with upgrade packages purchased ala carte. Good luck. BTW I am partial to Zero Clearance and Kevin's products. For a 600 hp type setup the value cannot be beat. Kevin G
Kevin, I agree totally. I will be deciding on a parts list and then having my workshop (Peter Fitzgerald Racing) do the procurement and installation as well as tuning.

Originally Posted by iLLM3
BTW for relatively cheap you can max out your stock K16's with a nice setup making 550+ hp and tq, car will still be FAST with good throttle response and minimized lag!!
Martin, care to elaborate on how you can max out K16s with good value for money?

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Sports muffler 40 hp? No way in hell. These claims are ridiculous.
DV's, why don't any of the European tuned cars, (RUF, 9ff, Manthey), some of them with 800 hp, install aftermarket DV's? Just a question.
EVO MS V Flow intake, 20 HP? No way. Show me the money on that one. Also, at what speed do you get this alleged additional HP? 140 to 160 mph? Show me proof, stock air pushed through vs. a modified box, a dyno, trap speed difference, something. Do we really believe that Porsche left an additional 20 hp untapped because of a poorly designed air intake? Why then does it take them an X50 package to get 30 more horses? Hell, just change the airbox and presto, 20 hp.
Headers, 14 hp? Doubt it, more like 8. I agree with just porting the stock ones. I believe that the best thing that will happen after this mod is that the turbo's will spool up and give you max boost 200 to 300 rpms faster. I really don't believe Porsche leaves that kind of horsepower on the table. I really believe it's all a big marketing scheme. IMHO, of course.
A healthy dose of scepticism there, thanks for your point of view. I got the components you are dubious about, but what is your recommended good value for money mod list based on K16s?

Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
but what is your recommended good value for money mod list based on K16s?
[/SIZE][/FONT]
IF UR GOING TO KEEP THEM STOCK... just get the ecu flashed. get the BMC filter and billet DVs... used exhaust and thats. it... everything else is overkill and not necessary. There are some great deals on the stage 2 flash... look around ...
good luck.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-16-2006, 09:54 AM
aracerx is infamous around these parts
you have love with the full 12 cyl of an Italian girl.....you have fantasies with the German girl when you give them bigger "blowers"......THEN you get married to a Japenese girl and get a fresh start every day with no maintenance requiredl OHH, the American girls? They're all divorced, living in Boca! What do they drive?....whatever they want

Old 09-16-2006, 10:06 AM
aracerx is infamous around these parts
you have love with the full 12 cyl of an Italian girl.....you have fantasies with the German girl when you give them bigger "blowers"......THEN you get married to a Japenese girl and get a fresh start every day with no maintenance requiredl OHH, the American girls? They're all divorced, living in Boca! What do they drive?....whatever they want

Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.extrudehone.com/ I havent read any discussion about a company like Extrudehone. anyone have an opinion on this?

Old 09-16-2006, 12:18 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Markski- Your setup is looking SICK! Keep us posted...

GIAC flash, cargraphic loud exhaust, DV's, intake plenum (Dyno'd 25 HP on my car). Wastegates are probably a waste (no pun intended) on K16's!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:15 PM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
Markski- Your setup is looking SICK! Keep us posted...

GIAC flash, cargraphic loud exhaust, DV's, intake plenum (Dyno'd 25 HP on my car). Wastegates are probably a waste (no pun intended) on K16's!
Can you provide more detail on the intake plenum? Did that alone net you +25HP on the dyno? Where did you purchase?

-Awais

Old 09-16-2006, 02:10 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
That part alone was good for 25HP. I believe it has a larger TB as well 75mm. Speed Gallery hooked it up...Click their banner to the right >>>>>>>>>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Facts about powerup kits.