996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Facts about powerup kits.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Facts about powerup kits.

I'd like some commentary about what the real gains or benefits are from the various elements in the common powerup kits.

Since I'm looking at tweaking my stock 2001 996TT I'd like to focus on what can be done while retaining the OEM K16 turbos to look for the best bang for buck.

Start with a stock 996 TT at 420 bhp

+ ECU "tune" - Vital software to get the easy gains over Porsche factory conservative maps, plus tweaks to get the benefit of any other mods.

Gain: 50 bhp - more with mods.

Cost: $2,000 USD

+ Sports muffler (say Fabspeed w/ 100 cell cats): Drop some weight and reduce backpressure, plus nicer sounds.

Gain: 40 bhp?

Cost: $3,500 USD

+ EVO MS V Flow intake: Better at getting air in to the pump.

Gain: 20 bhp?

Cost: $800 USD

+ Headers (Say EVO K16): Better at getting exhaust gasses out.

Gain: 14 bhp?

Cost: $1,200 USD

+ Silicone hose kit (Say EVO Kit): Purdy, more reliable under high boost. No performance gain(?).

Gain: 0 bhp

Cost: $1,000 USD

+ Billet DVs (Say Bailey's): More reliable. No performance gain(?).

Gain: 0 bhp

Cost: $320 USD

+ Systemic gain: 420 bhp -> 510 bhp? say 90 bhp increase

System cost: $5,720 USD + labour

Comments?

What are the alleged performance benefits of the silicone hose kit and DVs over and above reliability?

It seems like headers are a poor value for money mod - right?

Is the V Flow intake really money for jam in the horspower increase stakes? Or is the benefit marginal?

Are we kidding overselves about gains apart from the ECU tweak and a free flowing muffler (in terms of vaue for money rather than chasing every last bit of diminishing gain)?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
Lose the headers, airbox and the silicone hoses. Find a used exhaust, fabspeed, europipe, miltek in the for sale section. Now you're looking at 3.5k - 4k.

I have a 2001 with GIAC stage II flash, and a fabspeed loud and put down 447whp and 450wtq. Im still running the stock airbox, and the stock dv's.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:45 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
ECU, Exhaust...a must..DV's for sense of reliability. If you want to do headers just port and polish the stock ones. Si hoses only if you are going above 500hp or so. I had problems with the V-flow (it is now off) with my mods at my altitude. Also consider if this is where you are going to stop or is this just the start (so how upgradable are the components...like ECU flash).

Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Scott(divirexxtreme) is on stock headers- Todd K. the tuner wanted it this way. He ran a 10.6 1/4 mile.

I think the biggest HP gain will be in good turbos.... and dollar for dollar its the best purchase...
Port the stock headers- $0
used exhaust- $1200
Dvs @ filter- $300
HIGh HP turbos $4500 ( upgraded springs) obo
ECU- $2900 obo
--------------------
+600 HP @ $8900

If I was going to do it again- I know what I would do.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 09-15-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:49 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I think your list is on the money (no pun intended) but I would not go with the air box or headers. the boost hoses and diverters can also be done later and on a street car not that big a deal. only thing you left out is EVO waste gates and you are set. Just my 2 cents

Old 09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Try to stay with one vendor for a complete package. You want all the parts to work together as a system. There are too many horror stories with upgrade packages purchased ala carte. Good luck. BTW I am partial to Zero Clearance and Kevin's products. For a 600 hp type setup the value cannot be beat. Kevin G

Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 PM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom kerr
only thing you left out is EVO waste gates and you are set. Just my 2 cents
I spoke with a local porsche tuner, and according to them, there is a higher risk of engine damage with the waste gate kit

Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by O-Ace
I spoke with a local porsche tuner, and according to them, there is a higher risk of engine damage with the waste gate kit
What is the potential damage they are referring to? Kevin

Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
LOL, maybe if it werent dialed in properly and it was boosting way too high, but all i could see that doing on stock turbo's is burning them out much faster, that's about it!

BTW for relatively cheap you can max out your stock K16's with a nice setup making 550+ hp and tq, car will still be FAST with good throttle response and minimized lag!!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:18 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by iLLM3
LOL, maybe if it werent dialed in properly and it was boosting way too high, but all i could see that doing on stock turbo's is burning them out much faster, that's about it!

BTW for relatively cheap you can max out your stock K16's with a nice setup making 550+ hp and tq, car will still be FAST with good throttle response and minimized lag!!
I agree, properly adjusted upgraded wastegates are a huge bang for the buck. If for no other reason they provide more consistent boost control over stock.Kevin

Old 09-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Yes improper set up can over spool the turbo and or boost too high...
Using upgraded wgs is as common as upgraded turbos...
they should be dialed in and put on the turbos by the tuner- just my opinion.
markski

click to view

Old 09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
What is the potential damage they are referring to? Kevin
I didn't get into the details of it with him, but I believe boosting too high was the issue. He said it's better to let the ECU control the boost than installing a waste gate kit. I don't know...I'm not extremely technical on the 996TT since I just recently bought it, but he advised me to stay away from the wastegate kit. Another porsche tuner recommended I stick with my stock air box since the oiled airboxes might be the reason behind blown MAFs.

-Awais

Old 09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I didn't get into the details of it with him, but I believe boosting too high was the issue. He said it's better to let the ECU control the boost than installing a waste gate kit. I don't know...I'm not extremely technical on the 996TT since I just recently bought it, but he advised me to stay away from the wastegate kit. Another porsche tuner recommended I stick with my stock air box since the oiled airboxes might be the reason behind blown MAFs.

-Awais
Dont listen to him, ask us all of the questions, these people have gone through war with these cars and setups They definitely know what they are talking about!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't wanna go through war with my car LOL

Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
I don't wanna go through war with my car LOL
you guys want to see some WAR ... here you go LOL

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Facts about powerup kits.