996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Go-ers - Suspension/Wheels/Alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:06 AM
AndyW is infamous around these parts
Track Go-ers - Suspension/Wheels/Alignment

Out of curiousity, and to help me out , could you guys tell me what kind of wheels/rubber, suspension, and camber/caster/toe-in you guys have dialed in for use at the track ? And does this create some 'uneven' wear problems for you when you use it regularly on the street ?

In my last car, I had -1.5 -> -2 camber, it was great on the track, but it would create undue inside wear if I drove it on the street a lot. A friend of mine has run -3 on his.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM
aracerx is infamous around these parts
irrespective of what parts you run on your suspension, it sounds like a good compromise setup. It is "normal" to see wear on inside. I could pontificate all day on the subject, this is the core answer
Sadly the 996TT has a few compromised systems that prevent it from really "being" what it could. Mark-Formula Motorsports

Old 09-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Tires: Pilot Cups 225/295
Suspension: FVD PSS-9 coilovers (soon with H&R stabilizers)
Alignment: Not a 100% track setup...about OEM (RoW) setup but with more negative camber (I don't remember how much...about -1.5) for better turn in.

Quite good setup for track days (the car's no track car but with good power and grip it isn't a slow one) and fast street driving too (I've seen a speed as high as 329 km/h on the speedo...)

If you have a lot of negative camber of course the tires will wear more from inside...

Old 09-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Alot will depend on how and where you drive.

I would suggest finding someone who knows the cars and can work with you.It will really depend on your driving style.

If you want to call me I would be happy to suggest some base lines and get you started.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:19 PM
mitchmarket is infamous around these parts
Suspension per my signature. I run a prety agressive rear camber at 2.5 degrees and it sticks like glue on the track. Wears out street tires like crazy, though on the street. Not recommened for a car that would be used as a mostly street car.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Andy, give us a purpose for the suspension and tires and we can give you some "common" options for this car. Also a price range, somewhere between 2k and 8k ( PSS9's up to JIC's, and then on to motons) and I can tell you what you can get.
Tires street/track MPS2's......R compounds Toyo RA1's vs MPSC's then on to Hoosiers R compound then up to slicks.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:21 AM
aracerx is infamous around these parts
Street VS Track?

If your going to the track exclusively, you NEED more than Bilstein system can offer. BUT the price goes up exponentially!- Lets just say...3K goes to 6K goes to 9K! There are several of these more expensive options that will result in RELETIVE similar lap times depending on the amount of tuning (adjusting) you're (YOU) are willing to put into the "program". With the bilsteins there isn't much in the way of "tuning", in comparison to the track suspension corners. If your going to use "it" on the street and maybe do just 5 or 6 track days a year; I'd suggest the Bilstein system from the cost/reward ratio. Mark-formula Motorsports

Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
JRZ makes some GREAT products for the track...im about to invest in some Clubsport RS dampers..well see how they go!