996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Front end Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:16 PM
str8spd2001 is infamous around these parts
Front end Vibration

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone have experienced this weird front end vibration. Feels like the wheels need balancing or an alignment? I drove it on Wednesday to Lucent and back without a problem. I washed it yesterday and didn't drive it, just pulled it back in the garage. Now I took out this morning to work and at high speed about 65 and above it'll start shaking. First I thought it was a flat so pulled over checked the pressure and all tires are fine. Thanx for any help.

P.S. I dropped 2 washers in the engine bay...that doesn't effect anything does it?

Old 09-17-2006, 03:01 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
You lost a weight or two. Take her to a tire shop and re calibrate the wheels.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:36 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Do you have aftermarket wheels on?

Old 09-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Nope, everything is stock. Turbo hollow spoke and stock TT suspension.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Gotcha....thought it may have been aftermarket wheels with water collecting in the barrels.
Since it is not, then I would definitely would say it is a tire balance. I am not a pro, but I think you need to ask them to do a balance and road-force to get it balanced right.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=40

Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Did you hit a pot-hole? You could have bent your wheel(s). . . . This will do the trick.

-Eli

Old 09-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Nope no pot hole. I also realized something tonight as I was driving back from dinner......is the car suppose to feel , umm...how do I say this, unstable at high speed? I mean I was going about 80-90 mph and I noticed that the front end feels kinda floaty. Didn't seem like it was planted. If the road was smooth it was fine but every little uneven area would make the car jumpy. Didn't give too much confidence. Is that due to the stock height? Thanx for all the help also....I will probably have the tire balance and see if that helps.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 AM
orijinal_poser is infamous around these parts
also check your wheel bearings/rotors

Old 09-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Maybe your alignment is off. Your front tires may be toe-ing out causing the front end to want to wander and not feel planted. I had a similiar feeling prior to an alignment, and afterwards the car felt very stable at high speeds.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM
SDEVILTT is infamous around these parts
You might want to check your tires- The tire might be coming apart due to impact or the plys might be seperating-- Joe

Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Sounds liek you run a very soft tire. Tires when driven hard and then sitting or washed with a cold water can flat spot slightly which usually takes about 20 minutes to get rid of on your next drive. Is this the case does the shaking go away after a short while?

-Suman

Old 09-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Hmm....can a tire go bad that fast. I just purchased the car about 2 months ago and the dealer replaced all 4 tires with Conti's. I stoppped by Firestone Tire Center this morning and they said the tires are perfectly ok.....the tech even said they were basically brand new. I asked them how much would it cost to balance the tires and they quoted me $84 for all 4 tires. Does that sound right? I have done a lot of tire balancing and this seems like a really ridiculous price. I asked them why was it so high and they told me that the Porsche rims are harder to work with. They didn't want to take the risk of damaging them. Is the dealer going to charge me an arm also for tire balancing or should it still have some kind of warranty since I just picked the car up 2 months ago? Thanx so far for all the help.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
thats a cheap price if they are using the HUNTER GSP9700 the only balancer for our wheels. Try goign to the dealer becuase they most likely have this machine. to find a machine near you go to gsp9700.com and do a locator in your area. Good luck still sounds liek the tires are out of round to me. My brand new contis I got for my audi were sold to me out of round. But after two monthes sounds more like a balancing issue.

-Suman

Old 09-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Let me get this write they only looked at the tires on your car and didn't take them off the car? if thats so you have no idea if the tires are out of round. Take it to the hunter machine and your problems should most likely be solved.

-SM

Old 09-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanx HighHats. Also thanx for the link.....I'll probably stop by a local tire shop I found near me and have them do the tire balancing. Yeah they didn't remove the tires at all....just looked felt around and told me what they saw visually. So I should be expecting around that price range for the hunter wheel balancer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end Vibration