996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Facts about wheels, spacers and PSS9.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Facts about wheels, spacers and PSS9.

I'm looking to improve the looks of my 996 TT and would love to get some advice.

I've used the search function on "spacer", "PSS9", "wheels", etc. A fair few interesting threads, but I didn't find the definitive answers I'm after for my questions. Please help!

My car has OEM wheels (8*18 F and 11*18 R). I don't want to change wheels.

1. For a street driven car (never tracked) what is the widest tire sizes that make sense? I've been using Michelin Pilot Sport 2s.

Some say 225/40 R18 -> 235/40 R18 Front and 295/30 R18 -> 315/30 R18 is a good move up in size. Opinions?

2. What spacers make sense with the OEM wheels? 15mm F and 18mm R? I don't mind rolling my guards or trimming the inner liners but don't want rubbing after that. Are longer bolts required?

3. My Australian delivery car is at RoW height, right? It doesn't sit low enough for my tastes. I'm considering the Eibach lowering springs solution or installing a PSS9 kit. Opinions?

Can anyone given me a price guide for PSS9s? I also understand there are several flavours of PSS9 .. anyone got more information? What is included in each kit and how many hours of labour would I expect to have it installed and set up?

Thanks for the help guys, it makes me feel a lot more confident when I talk to retailers.

Last edited by MrBlonde; 09-19-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
You are playing with stuff that may get you into trouble
if you're just focussed on looks. Tires are not free to be
chosen by size. If your front and rear tires differ much in
real rolling diameter you're PSM will kick in at odd times,
thinking one end is turning faster than the other, and you
can burn out the viscous torque transfer unit.
The 'nominal size' of a tire, eg: "235/40 R18" is only
approximate. Tires of two brands with the same designation
may differ in width and/or diameter. They may be close but
usually won't be identical. If you're close to your fenders,
one might rub where another doesn't. In order to check the
accurate tire dimenstions, go to the tirerack site and look
at the actual tire spec sheet for the particular brand and
model.

Joe

Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Kenny,
You may be interested in this thread..
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ighlight=moton
Good luck with your decisions!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:21 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Kenny, my input:

Yes going to 235/40 and 315/30 is a good move...road handling is much improved (of course Joe is right here as well). I did not need spacers for this move in tire size. For lowering without losing handling and no track, I think the PSS9 is a good option (I have heard too many issues with just doing the springs...do the whole coilover package). I went with the FVD version (these use FVD specified springs) and am very happy. FVD runs deals now and then...I know I got mine for less than $1700. I would also recommend to have them (or whatever you get) installed professionally.The problem with our opinions of course is that very few of us have tried multiple set-ups for comparison, so takes these as they are...JMHO.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Well, going up in tire sizes with no real traction issues now and hardly any tracking, it will not make any difference really and not necessary for your needs, but it cant hurt!

Definitely go full coilovers, springs suck! Even these cars withc oilovers and sways, if not properly setup SUCK, like my car does now. Its so stiff which i like, but bounces and has so much bump steer, its so nervous feeling i hate it, nothing like my M3 which is far superior! But for the street yea coilover's, no springs!

And with the OEM wheel's 15mm spacer's front and rear were perfect, and honestly there is no reason to go 18mm! Dropped with 15 mm spacers still no fender modifications are necessary, goodluck on your decisions

Old 09-19-2006, 12:09 AM
zona is infamous around these partszona is infamous around these parts
If your running stock 996tt wheels, then your rears are 18x11 with 45mm offset!
-z

Originally Posted by MrBlonde
I'm looking to improve the looks of my 996 TT and would love to get some advice.

I've used the search function on "spacer", "PSS9", "wheels", etc. A fair few interesting threads, but I didn't find the definitive answers I'm after for my questions. Please help!

My car has OEM wheels (8*18 F and 10*18 R). I don't want to change wheels.

1. For a street driven car (never tracked) what is the widest tire sizes that make sense? I've been using Michelin Pilot Sport 2s.

Some say 225/40 R18 -> 235/40 R18 Front and 295/30 R18 -> 315/30 R18 is a good move up in size. Opinions?

2. What spacers make sense with the OEM wheels? 15mm F and 18mm R? I don't mind rolling my guards or trimming the inner liners but don't want rubbing after that. Are longer bolts required?

3. My Australian delivery car is at RoW height, right? It doesn't sit low enough for my tastes. I'm considering the Eibach lowering springs solution or installing a PSS9 kit. Opinions?

Can anyone given me a price guide for PSS9s? I also understand there are several flavours of PSS9 .. anyone got more information? What is included in each kit and how many hours of labour would I expect to have it installed and set up?

Thanks for the help guys, it makes me feel a lot more confident when I talk to retailers.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by zona
If your running stock 996tt wheels, then your rears are 18x11 with 45mm offset!
-z
Oops, good pickup, corrected.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Kenny, my input:

Yes going to 235/40 and 315/30 is a good move...road handling is much improved (of course Joe is right here as well). I did not need spacers for this move in tire size. For lowering without losing handling and no track, I think the PSS9 is a good option (I have heard too many issues with just doing the springs...do the whole coilover package). I went with the FVD version (these use FVD specified springs) and am very happy. FVD runs deals now and then...I know I got mine for less than $1700. I would also recommend to have them (or whatever you get) installed professionally.The problem with our opinions of course is that very few of us have tried multiple set-ups for comparison, so takes these as they are...JMHO.
Thanks for your comments. I sent a PM to Evan at FVD on another matter but didn't get a response :-(

Old 09-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by KPV
Kenny,
You may be interested in this thread..
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ighlight=moton
Good luck with your decisions!
Ken, I've read your fantastic thread four times (and again just now). Thank you for that, it's one of the few threads I've bookmarked.

My thinking is that I know what I want for my car. I'm not interested in track work and I do not push my car on the street. What I want from a suspension kit is to lower the car (to please myself in terms of how it looks) and to firm the ride up a little .. take some of the over civilised nature of a 996TT out.

It seems to me that a variant of the PSS-9 kit will meet these wants while avoiding the negative impacts you detailed in other threads. What is your comment on that?

Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Ken, I've read your fantastic thread four times (and again just now). Thank you for that, it's one of the few threads I've bookmarked.

My thinking is that I know what I want for my car. I'm not interested in track work and I do not push my car on the street. What I want from a suspension kit is to lower the car (to please myself in terms of how it looks) and to firm the ride up a little .. take some of the over civilised nature of a 996TT out.

It seems to me that a variant of the PSS-9 kit will meet these wants while avoiding the negative impacts you detailed in other threads. What is your comment on that?
Listen, its very easy to think you just want a lower stance and so on, and by just using springs it will be the perfect compromise. But once you feel how sloppy your car feels on them, track or driving 2mph to the store, its frustrating and annoying!

PSS9's are the perfect compromise between a nice ride (not to stiff or uncomfortable) but much flatter and tighter!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Well, going up in tire sizes with no real traction issues now and hardly any tracking, it will not make any difference really and not necessary for your needs, but it cant hurt!

Definitely go full coilovers, springs suck! Even these cars withc oilovers and sways, if not properly setup SUCK, like my car does now. Its so stiff which i like, but bounces and has so much bump steer, its so nervous feeling i hate it, nothing like my M3 which is far superior! But for the street yea coilover's, no springs!

And with the OEM wheel's 15mm spacer's front and rear were perfect, and honestly there is no reason to go 18mm! Dropped with 15 mm spacers still no fender modifications are necessary, goodluck on your decisions
Martin, I have traction issues ... remember I am a drag racer :-)

Yeah, unsure of how much to space out OEM rear wheels with PSS-9 and 295/40 R18 -> 315/40 R18 in MPS2.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Listen, its very easy to think you just want a lower stance and so on, and by just using springs it will be the perfect compromise. But once you feel how sloppy your car feels on them, track or driving 2mph to the store, its frustrating and annoying!

PSS9's are the perfect compromise between a nice ride (not to stiff or uncomfortable) but much flatter and tighter!
Martin, yes I totally agree about the undesirable nature of a spring only solution. I was talking about using PSS-9 for lowering.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Martin, yes I totally agree about the undesirable nature of a spring only solution. I was talking about using PSS-9 for lowering.
Oops, i thought you mentioned using springs as an alternative in your original post, my bad, was just throwing in my 2 cents on that issue

As for drag racing, i know you do that, just wasnt sure since you said no tracking (i guess meaning DE's) , well then the extra tire would help yes, but as you know with the PSM, AWD and so on it could also hurt the car's launching or ability to get off the line no?

As for PS2's in 315's, they run WIDE, on a stock wheel you will have a nice amount of sidewall and that may rub, i doubt it though!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Oops, i thought you mentioned using springs as an alternative in your original post, my bad, was just throwing in my 2 cents on that issue

As for drag racing, i know you do that, just wasnt sure since you said no tracking (i guess meaning DE's) , well then the extra tire would help yes, but as you know with the PSM, AWD and so on it could also hurt the car's launching or ability to get off the line no?

As for PS2's in 315's, they run WIDE, on a stock wheel you will have a nice amount of sidewall and that may rub, i doubt it though!
Martin, yes I was considering the spring only option but have decided against it based on advice from this thread (including yours - thank you).

Hehe, yeah when I said "tracking" I meant circuit racing. Apart from driveline drag racing is a lot kinder on your car than circuit racing!

You are dead right, the electronics that make the 996TT so great for street driving also conspire to reduce it's ability at the drag strip. You can turn PSM off for the launch, but I feel the fun police at work during the pass.

I'd like to get the right "look" for the rubber on the rim filling out the rear guards. Just not sure what spacers would suit.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
What about JIC/Cross Suspension?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Facts about wheels, spacers and PSS9.