996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I had to go and ruin it...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Wink I had to go and ruin it...

This evening around 6PM it was dark, cold and drizzling,
with fog creeping into the hills. I'd been able to work
from home today so I didn't have to be out there with
the commuters. Also, I'd spent some time this weekend
cleaning the car to be presentable for the Bay Area
Meet this weekend.
Well, I'm going to have to do it again. I read some
article in today's Panorama about how 'all sporting tires
get flatspots if you leave them too long', but really
that was an excuse. I just had the itch so out I went
to my favorite back road, back and forth as smoothly
as the wet and gravel and fog and road-edge Redwoods
would advise... I'd wait at one end of my road till the last
car going my way had a 5 minute lead so I wouldn't
catch up within the 8 miles (I did anyway a couple
of times), and got some pretty good stick out of wet-but-
warmed Kumho Ecsta 700s.
The car's filthy but just like if it had been my dog going
for a muddy trail run, I pretend it's happy. Really though,
it's me. I'll fit in a second wash somehow before Saturday...
Joe

Old 01-27-2004, 08:47 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Get yourself some tire cradles and you can say flat spots no more...

http://www.tirecradle.com/tcradle.htm

Old 01-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
How long does your car need to be sitting for it to get flat spots? Will the stock PS2 tires get flat spots?

Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by mehrabani1
How long does your car need to be sitting for it to get flat spots? Will the stock PS2 tires get flat spots?
If the tires are real hot when you park the car on a cold concrete garage floor, they can flatspot overnight. Read the info on the tire cradle site. It is explained in great detail. You may not notice the flat spot initially(may not be dramatic), but when the tires are measured for roundness using scientific measuring equipment, they do go out of round to various degrees depending on variable conditions...

More info on flat spotting can be found here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...atspotting.htm

Last edited by rockitman; 01-27-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Basically you just have had to come from like a track event and have your tires so warm to the touch and then if you leave them on a cold garage floor will there be flatspots. In addition, your tires ahve to be super soft, which is not the case with the tires that Porsche gives us---for me it was Dunlops---these arent soft, but Pirelli is a diff story

Old 01-28-2004, 04:00 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
To also get rid of flat spots just do a little bit of sporty driving, it will take care of it. But Kumho's are nortorious for flat spotting, and that is what even Kumho tire reps have said. The reason Kumho's flat spot easier is because they have more plies of nilon around the belt than other companies. And the Kumho's will get flat spots from just driving around town and then parking the car for an hour or two. To tell if you have flat spots when starting to drive the car the tires will feel out of balance but after a while the shaking on the steering wheel will go away.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
S03s are also infamous for flat spotting, as they are pretty soft. I have these on my almost daily driven 740il, but every time I go out of town for a few days I get an insane wobble for the first 10-20 minutes of driving the car after it's been sitting a few days. Granted the 740 is a heavy car, but my brother experiences the exact same thing on his Audi which is only around 3500 lbs.