996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ditching 996TT hydraulic clutch assist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
Much better deal than Evoms.

Remember, the GT2 uses brake fluid not power stearing fluid to power the clutch. You need to clean out any existing parts.
I know.. that was the one problem I had when my mechanic put in the pentosin instead of the dot4. I already had the NA parts on the car... so that is why Im using this opportunity to convert to full gt2 setup...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Why's that?
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
here is my update.
So I ordered all gt2 parts and it came out to be $450 with my dealer discount. It includes the master slave, the slave cylinder, the clutch spring and the hose that connects to the slave.
Markski
Originally Posted by robertp
Evoms has a GT2 conversion kit. $980.

I would hazard to guess because $450 < $980.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:16 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Marski...Could you post the part numbers, I think i will copy you and just order them.I'm sure i wont get that kind of deal...my dealer is good to me retail sales price + 25%!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
I would hazard to guess because $450 < $980.

Righto. I thought it had something to do with the parts being better, but that actually makes sense.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
996 423 377 90 gt2 hose
996 423 171 06 master
996 116 237 90 slave
996 423 081 13 gt2 spring

that's it...

click to view

Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for taking the time to post that, I will let you all know how bad the dealer will rape me...I hope they use lube this time..

Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
http://www.sunsetimports.com/
and

www.pelicanparts.com

some stuff is cheaper.... u have the part numbers thats all u need...

click to view

Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
If I am not mistaken, isnt that a custom CNC'd bracket in the EVOMS pic?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Yes, Don, it is and it will be required. When I went to do this conversion, I was originally told that it was direct bolt on parts - no problem. When we got to installing the slave, after removing the OEM turbo slave - there was no where and no way to mount the 996 GT2 slave, it's a totally different and much smaller part. My tech then asked me how this was supposed to work - I called my source and was told "oh, you just have to fabricate a bracket to hold it in place". The problem with this is that all kinds of debris can get inside the transmission, unless it is sealed properly, so you would need a bracket that seals, while holding the slave in the proper position......My guy didn't like it and recommended I go with the 993GT2 parts, which are non-assisted and designed mount and seal properly, but in a mirror reverse with a different, mirror reverse fork. We did that and plugged/sealed the 996 turbo OEM slave port. The piece that EVO offers is the piece we needed for a proper installation of the 996 GT2 slave and it did not exist at the time.

Here are a couple of pictures to show what I am talking about. The first one shows the 993 GT2 slave installed and the 996 turbo slave sitting on the transmission next to it. You can see the 996 turbo slave hole and nothing to mount the smaller 996 GT2 slave to. The 996 turbo slave housing is large enough that it goes down to a couple of bolt holes in the case for fastening. From looking at the EVO piece, I believe it uses these same two holes to mount.

Although a lot of work, IMO, this is one of the most worthwhile mods you can do to the 996 turbo. I can not begin to explain the pleasure of taking off, every time, since I did this mod - it's perfection, you really feel at one with the car, unlike the OEM clutch that feels like it's from another planet...

Lying on the case is a 996 fork that worked with the 996 turbo slave. The 993 GT2 fork we had to use was a mirror opposite of this piece and is installed at this point. The hole for the original 996 turbo slave was then sealed with a solid rubber grommet.

Last edited by John D; 03-31-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
I forgot JOhn that you did do the conversion....
I emailed Todd to see what he says... either way I will probably have either him do the bracket or make one locally....
However, I already have a 996/997 NA slave that was installed by Todd... so I wonder what fork he is using....
markski

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 04-01-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Mark,

If it's the 996 slave, I think it is probably using the 996 style fork like the one we removed and most likely mounts the same as the turbo slave, but I don't know for sure. To install the 993 style parts, we had to drill and tap the case. The casting is all there, as it is the same case that was used for the 993, but it's not bored out and tapped on the 996 cars - it's solid. So my guy had to recreate the mounting holes for the bolts, then tap them and create the opening for the slave...my transmission and motor were out of the car, so it wasn't to much of a job to do it. IMO, your easiest solution would be to get a hold of that EVO bracket and use the 996 GT2 slave in conjunction with it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
a little update

Totals parts with the gt2 release fork 611 bucks.
Now retapping and drilling of existing bosses.
According to Todd It will work

click to view

Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Mark,

If your tapping those bosses, it sounds like you are doing the same as my set-up...are you?

If so, it's a lot lighter than the OEM stuff, too.

Last edited by John D; 04-03-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 PM
FlyYellow is infamous around these partsFlyYellow is infamous around these parts
is there a simpler way to get more clutch pedal feel????? Please say yes.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Boris, the EVO GT2 conversion kit is bolt on...that is the simple way - no drilling and tapping, it uses the existing fork, etc., but still a fair amount of work to install. The kit is about 1K and I bet labor would run $500+

This really makes the car much more enjoyable to drive...It is difficult to describe how much more rewarding it is to drive the car with a non assisted clutch set-up. Taking off from every stop, it feels so predictable and right - it's like a whole different car!

Last edited by John D; 04-04-2008 at 08:15 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ditching 996TT hydraulic clutch assist?