996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ditching 996TT hydraulic clutch assist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
YEs John,
that is exactly what I'm doing...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Mark,

Why did you change from using the EVO style bracket to the 993 parts...just curious as it seemed you had most of the 996 GT2 parts already.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D
Mark,

Why did you change from using the EVO style bracket to the 993 parts...just curious as it seemed you had most of the 996 GT2 parts already.
I actually didn't.... I never had the evoms stuff... I had the 996/997 NA slave and master... but it was so hard on the pedal since I had no assist.. all due to the clutch upgrades we were looking for a good system to work... so my system started to leak again and I decided to convert to gt2...
did you mechanic use a special tool to drill the bell housing?
do you have any upclose pics....
if so can you email me a few.
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
mark,

I don't know what he used and it was done when I got there, so I didn't see any part of the drilling/tapping.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 AM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
how much does the actuator weigh?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Just did the GT2 clutch upgrade/mod.

It is about 60% stiffer...so I am getting used to it. It feels like a GT3 or a UrS4 unit, to be nest.

No missing the clutch pick up now. Feel is 1000% better. The issue would be traffic jams....that is about it. It is a LOT harder to push, so if you are even slightly uncertain, find a unit. I have not directly compared it to a gt3..that is Steven Kasper's take on things.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The hardness of the pedal has more to do with the actual pressure plate not the actual conversion. FWIW.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Jeff,

After a week or two, you will barely realize it's harder, as it will begin to feel normal. Now after 2 years, I don't even think of it - it just seems like the way it is supposed to be... and you will always appreciate the precise feedback and never get tired of that, as every take-off will be perfect. I will agree that if you are in bumper to bumper traffic for an extended period every day (I'm not), it would be a lot more work than the OEM clutch, but other than that single scenario, I don't think there are any negatives.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 11-27-2008, 05:38 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. It is a great improvement to the car...car feels more like a surgical instrument now than it did, if you can believe that.....

Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate.

JB

Old 11-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well there's a tranny rebuild in my not so distant future, so I'll be adding a fluid cooler and the GT2 hydraulics at that time as well...

Mike

Old 11-27-2008, 03:04 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D
Mark,

If your tapping those bosses, it sounds like you are doing the same as my set-up...are you?

If so, it's a lot lighter than the OEM stuff, too.

John I am going to do this as well, any idea on total weight savings?

thanks

tom

Old 11-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Tom,

I'm not sure, but my guess is about 15 lbs. You have a much smaller slave unit, no accumulator, reduction in lines and reduction of the fluid filling the accumulator and lines...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 11-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Tom,

I'm not sure, but my guess is about 15 lbs. You have a much smaller slave unit, no accumulator, reduction in lines and reduction of the fluid filling the accumulator and lines...

I have old and new, it will be a slight decrease, but DOT 4 is now used for the clutch. In the big picture, having just tried out a 996gt3...you get that feeling exactly. If you are a track person or care about precision, this is a huge improvement. At first, you will say WTF that is hard...then in 3 days, it is much better.

Before to after about 9lbs. I am assuming fluid volumes are about equal and equal density.

If you read T2's 200k mile post, he has gone through slaves and accumulators. So, in my book, this was a prevention of pain in the rear issues...the fact it improved the car was a bonus.

I had already replaced the power steering pump and valve/reservoir due to whistling. So, I have pretty much a new car in the pentosin dimension.

Anyone have a clue on how often to replace fluids in the power steering and clutch dimensions with this upgrade? My guess is rarely if ever...say every 60k. Brake fluid is just standard DOT4 (I use SRF in my brakes, so the standard stuff feels pretty affordable... ).

To the new owner, if you get a stock car, a full suspension deal (coilovers of a good variety) with links and sways, 1.0 bar, lwfw/clutch, and this, you have more or less a car that will feel like a gt3 or gt2 for a lot less money.... Perhaps the best deal on a trackable weekend warrior option with a gt1 block. Tranny cooler if you are red or black run group (or just change your tranny fluid ever 5k miles...guy at S car go told me that for DE, tranny cooler is not really needed...enduros or club racing, that is another issue. If I had money to burn...I'd get a tranny cooler. Anyway, dollar per dollar, this is so much fun. Yes, a gt3 is lighter, but a turbo is a turbo is a turbo. Pushing the gas on a strait at VIR...you'll never look back.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 11-28-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:14 AM
Hurdigurdiman is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you 'assist clutch spring' removers don't know how to drive a car with a clutch. You should have learned to drive in the UK. You don't drive on the roads in the UK unless you pass a test on a manual car. Just saying. Keep a check on your cruise control. The spring is there for a bloody good reason.