996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help with EVO waste gates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:49 AM
MX RACER is infamous around these parts
Help with EVO waste gates

I installed the EVO waste gates and I can't seem to get the boost under control. I started at EVOS recommended 3 turns and was seeing 1.4 bar constantly, so I started backing off and would still see 1.4 fairly often. The car seems to shut off power at 1.4 bar I assume to protect it self. I have now backed off the adjuster nut so it is just taking out the free play finger snug I went out to drive it and at first it seemed to work I only saw .8 to 1.0 the first couple times going wot but after a couple more wot it started going back to 1.3 then dropping to 1.2 and then even hitting 1.4 again..

Any one with any input????

THANKS

Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Its not that easy to adjust after market springs... I had a lot of problems as well.
first u have to make sure ur not in limp mode. then u have to make sure that both springs are set up exactly at the same rate...
if u really want to do it right you need to get tools, pressurize the springs and set them up that way.
you need to get ahold of Stephen and or evoms and get some answers...
I hope your not doing this on k16s.
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Markski thanks for the reply. I have k24s Evo stage 4. I've been trying to get a hold of Evo. I called yesterday and they said Mike would call me back , but I haven't herd anything. I'll keep trying..

Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Hi Kevin, that thread had a question about what could be done
(if anything) to adjust a K16 setup. I have an Upsoluted K16 car.
thanks,
Joe Weinstein

Old 09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
I believe this should be done with a vacuum gauge. I had a local shop swap mine out for new ones, and that's how they adjusted the wasegates. No problems.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Kevin, thanks that write up is really good.. The thing with mine now is I've got them backed all the out so there is even a little free play and the car still hit 1.5 once. I am not sure they will work at with out another way to adjust boost..

Old 09-21-2006, 11:09 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
sounds like you may have a bad frequency valve.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Evo W/g's

I Have The Evo W/g's W/ K24's Also. I See 1.2 Bar Under Wot, But Sometimes When Shifting I Will See 1.3-1.5 Spikes. Is This Ok Or Do I Need To Have My W/g's Adjusted?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
the spikes are OK... as long as when ur in 4th or fifth WOT and u do not go into limp mode and or TB shut down. However, as the temps drop you guy will start seeing some problems.... so small adjustments might be necessary.
that's what happened to me.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Make sure you have no leaks in the pressure reference hoses. They are easily cracked when replacing. A leak will make boost erratic and can allow you to overboost with little to no control. It is likely that nly one side is leaking. You could easily damage one of your turbos of it is spinning that fast...

Drive gingerly while you are repairing it.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for every ones input.. I reinstalled the stock waste gates and all is well, so I think I must have just got a bad set.. I am sending them back to EVO for evaluation..

George