996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just installed Techart exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 02:39 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Just installed Techart exhaust

Wanted to share my initial impression of the Techart Sport exhaust I just installed on my car. Sounds much better than stock but not as loud as I expected. Some on the board have wrote that the Techart sounds similar to Fabspeed Loud but in my opinion it is much quieter. It's even quieter than the Fabspeed exhaust I had on my old NA 996 C2. At idle and cruise, it's not loud at all. There may be some resonance but not bad at all, at least not to me. At full throttle 4000 rpm and above the exhaust note starts to come alive. Very nice sound but still not too loud. I guess I would've preferred this exhaust to sound a bit louder but overall I'm happy with this upgrade on my car. Big improvement over stock!

My big complaint is that my stock TT tips no longer line up symmetrically. The right tip is positioned much higher than the left tip. If they were a little bit off I could live with it, but the difference is enough to really bother me. Unlike some aftermarket exhausts, the Techart has 2 separte mufflers (not joined together) and there does not seem to be a way to adjust the position of the mufflers once they are bolted down at the flanges. Could anyone offer some suggestion on what I can do to make the tips line up symmetrically? Has anyone else experienced this problem with an aftermarket exhaust? Would switching to Techart or another type of tips help solve the problem? Any helpful suggestion would be highly appreciated. TIA!

Old 01-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Exhaust Sound

One thing to keep in mind is that exhausts sound very different from the interior to the exterior. Some exhausts that are quieter than others on the inside of the car can be louder when listening from the outside. You should listen from both perspectives. My Ruf for example is pretty quiet from the interior which allows for conversation and listening to music but from the exterior when RPM's get above 4000 there is a nice high pitched wail. As far as the tips not lining up properly that sounds like either the exhaust was not manufactured correctly or the installation was not done right. Just my $.02

Old 01-28-2004, 05:04 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
also one. reminder too..

turbo cars usually run quiter than n/a cars... wevn with aftermarket exhausts...

usually an n/a car with an exhaust is usually louder than a turbo car w/ exhaust..

Old 01-28-2004, 05:30 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
John,
it will get louder after a while with more miles.

on the tip, u can easily adjust it to even.

Old 01-28-2004, 05:38 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by 20C4S
John,
it will get louder after a while with more miles.

on the tip, u can easily adjust it to even.
I drove the car a bit more today and am liking the sound more and more. I'm having the Upsolute ECU upgrade w/EVO DVs done next week. The increased boost should make the exhaust a little louder too, right?

How do I 'easily' adjust the tips? Do I just loosen it, wiggle it around for position and re-tighten? There doesn't seem to be alot of play there where tip meets muffler. Thx!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 02barebones996
also one. reminder too..

turbo cars usually run quiter than n/a cars... wevn with aftermarket exhausts...

usually an n/a car with an exhaust is usually louder than a turbo car w/ exhaust..
Oh, I didn't know that. I've heard some modified TTs (belonging to 6Speed members here) with Fabspeed Loud and they are VERY loud compared to my current TA exhaust or my old NA 996 w/Fabspeed.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 PM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
John:
yeah...i've seen tech doing the job... I believe there is a screw behind the tip that you can loosen the tip up...
that way you can adjust it up and down, left and right to get the position you want...
it's pretty easy I believe...
but still take it to a shop... i don't think they'll even charge u to adjust that if you're familiar with them...
take it back to the place where they installed ur exhaust...
the job can be done in less than 10min i believe

Old 01-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
John,

If you'd like to bring it by Carlsen, give me a call. I'll hook you up.

Brian Haske
Carlsen Porsche
650.701.9200 X 103

Old 01-29-2004, 01:04 AM
EM 996 GTS is infamous around these parts
TechArt has 3 different types of exhausts
1. Touring Version
2. Sport Version
3. Racing Version

The racing version is loud, its enough to set off car alarms! I would rate that is as loud as Fabspeed (loud version). Because a member here has one and, I have heard it from the outside as well , they got pretty much the same deep rumbling sounds from the exhausts...

Old 01-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
John,
I too have the Techart Exhaust. I love the sound and the smoothness of the revs. I have had no prob with the tips alignment. But I do know they can be adjusted. Didn't you notice immediately the change in how smooth the car revs now? I sure did. Tell me how much difference the new ECU works with the exhaust.
Ron

Old 01-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hi
There are several ways to adjust the tips if the OUTLET pipes are WELDED onto the muffler case which is the norm for European tuners 996TT exhaust systems.The factory tips just slide back and forth and can only rotate........so since the outlet pipe has been perhaps welded on incorrectly...........you FIX this by either 1) CUTTING OFF the outlet pipe and rewelding it on or 2) get out the torch and a prybar and get it REDHOT where its welded and drift the tip & pipe into perfect position. Doesnt sound pretty but works.

Can you post a picture of the exhaust..........sounds like the Cargraphic, Gemball, Phoenix UK exhaust systems
Have a great day
Joe

Old 01-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. The guys who installed my exhaust said the same thing as Joe ...that I have to cut off the outlet pipe and re-weld it. That was what I was afraid of. First I'll try tinkiering with the tips as suggested to see if they can line up better.

EM 996 GTS,
I have the Techart Sport version and my GF already thinks it's too loud after riding in the car last night. So the Racing version would probably really bother her. I probably would not mind. : )

Ron,
The car does feel like it revs better. Not sure if it's just my imagination because it sounds SO MUCH better. I'll let you know my further impressions after the Upsolute ECU upgrade gets done next week.

Brian,
Thanks for offering to hook me up. Will give you a call later today.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
John,
My girlfriend also hates my exhaust. She says the car "sounds ghetto" now. . . ha ha. If you don't already have a set, make sure to install coilovers. First, so your car will feel and handle that much better and second, just to upset her even more (jk) I did!! Now for the black wheels . . . .
Ron

Old 01-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Good news! I just came in from my garage where I was able to loosen the tips and adjust them by lightly banging on them with a hammer. Still not lined up perfectly but good enough to the eye.

Thank goodness I don't have to do any cutting and welding! : )