996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Kevin's wastegate adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:39 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Kevin's wastegate adjustment

I just completed this on my PSI 480 stage 2 car and I am surprised at the results. Kevin is right, you CAN feel it. Car pulls great and is holding more boost than before. I used to see only .9 with a rare 1.0 spike and now it is consistently 1.0 to 1.1. My question is this I was able to hold 1.1 in most all of third gear on the highway. Is this too much Kevin for k16. I also held 1.1 in forth gear but I let off before high rpm as I was FLYING. My car is a tip and second and third gear are the best pulling gears. Should I dial the nuts back so that 1.1 is a spike only and what is held for more than a few seconds is only 1.0. I don't floor it every where I go but I don't want to overspin my k16's. Car is hauling ***. What/how else should I test the car to see if I should back the spring pressure off a bit? Kevin please chime in.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
the real test is on the highway in 4th or 5th... thats where you will notice the highest sustained boost levels... I did this adjustment many times... I had Kevin's stage 5 ZC with billet WBs....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-24-2006, 04:57 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silver
I just completed this on my PSI 480 stage 2 car and I am surprised at the results. Kevin is right, you CAN feel it. Car pulls great and is holding more boost than before. I used to see only .9 with a rare 1.0 spike and now it is consistently 1.0 to 1.1. My question is this I was able to hold 1.1 in most all of third gear on the highway. Is this too much Kevin for k16. I also held 1.1 in forth gear but I let off before high rpm as I was FLYING. My car is a tip and second and third gear are the best pulling gears. Should I dial the nuts back so that 1.1 is a spike only and what is held for more than a few seconds is only 1.0. I don't floor it every where I go but I don't want to overspin my k16's. Car is hauling ***. What/how else should I test the car to see if I should back the spring pressure off a bit? Kevin please chime in.
Is that not the best 295$ you have ever spent? It did wonders for my hybrids as well. Just get it over with and order the Zero Clearance turbos Kevin G BTW, I remember Kevin saying stock K16's are maxed out at 1.0 bar

Last edited by KPG; 09-24-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
To clarify I just adjusted stock wastegate not the "spring kit". So are ya'll saying I should see what it holds in 4th or 5th gear on the highway. It seemed to sustain 1.1 in 4th on the highway. Also markski whats your guess on how many turns back out to bring it down. I was thinking half a complete revolution on each side. I have ported my factory headers but I doubt this has anything to do with the boost I am seeing. I only turned 2 full revlutions in because Kevin said you could go 2-3 turns and I thought 2 would be safer.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I think ur Ok... one full turn though will bring u down to 1 bar... so u need to decide where u want those k16s boosting at...... some say that 1.1 bars at full boost is too much... but I would run it in the higher gears and take it up to 6500 rpms and see if they are still pulling or is the car falling on it's face...

click to view

Old 09-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Ran the car agian. A bit cooler at dark around 77-80. 2nd and third gear seem ok and just boost 1.0 with random or infreqent hits on 1.1 but I tried fourth gear and it hits 1.1 and stays there. Now I have been letting off around 4-5000 rpms in fourth as it is 115 plus and I don't want a ticket but I will try to run fourth up to redline and see if car keeps pulling or drops off. When it was pulling in fourth car was STRONG. I will let you know how this turns out. Markski what do you think about 123 gears staying at 1.0 most of the time cause I am usually letting off once third is topped out on the street anyway. Unless someone has a decently quick car they are usually loosing by this time and further pushing is not needed. On the track however at Road Atlanta I don't want to overrun the turbos. I will see if I can get fourth topped out and decide if and how much needs to come out. Would you try a full turn or a half?

Old 09-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
Take her out on the highway one day and run in 4th hard... up to 6500 rpms and all ur worries will be answered..
good luck and be safe

click to view

Old 09-24-2006, 10:40 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
markski where the hell do you use full 4th gear is that not about 150???

Old 09-24-2006, 11:04 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
my 2001 stage II holds solid 1.1 in 3rd and 4th, and I've never had a problem. No power fall off, no fade whatsoever. Is this good for the turbo, I don't know. But it's what came from Stephen at Imagine with the level II "hammer" GIAC programming on 93 octane, and it's been fine so far.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by steve harris
markski where the hell do you use full 4th gear is that not about 150???
no its about 128 mph max....

click to view

Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Is there a website with info or can someone describe the WG modification?

Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
no its about 128 mph max....
When I was doing my 60-130 GPS runs at the track, I would get about 134 mph at redline in 4th. Kevin

Old 09-25-2006, 05:47 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Is that not the best 295$ you have ever spent? It did wonders for my hybrids as well. Just get it over with and order the Zero Clearance turbos Kevin G BTW, I remember Kevin saying stock K16's are maxed out at 1.0 bar
Yea man, my car after it was fully opened up was pulling 1 bar steady, i added the race pipes and was seeing 1.1 spikes of 1.2 but ti didnt pull nearly as hard as with my exhaust and cat bypass. 1 bar to me is the limit from my experience, i was going to do wastegates but it makes no sense on the k16's.

I doubt from stock wg's set at 1 bar and evo's wg's or aftermarket set at the same you will notice any difference

EDIT: Oops misunderstanding, didnt realize you were messing with stock wg's! BTW at the end of my 4th with a 7k redline i am seeing 140 on my speedo!

Last edited by iLLM3; 09-25-2006 at 05:50 PM.