996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evoms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Banned for Good.
ohioko4s4 is infamous around these parts
Evoms

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the 996/GT2 scene. I am finalizing a deal on a GT2 this week and I'm trying to decide between the hybrid k24 Protomotive kit and the EVOMS GT700. I am buying the car as a nice weather daily driver....although for those who know me...know it will see a fair share of weekend highway/drag racing as well. I've heard good things about both kits and have had good discussions so far with Alex (Sharkwerks) and Todd (Protomotive). Like most folks, I'm looking for reliable horsepower and both seem to make similar peak whp figures in the low 600's on 103 when tuned correctly. However, I have heard the Protomotive kits have better power curves and are relatively a bit faster.

Can anyone share their personal perspectives on each kit? NOTE: I'm not looking to start a tuning war, just looking for real world experience. Thanks everyone!

I look forward to sharing my build progress as it happens!

Jamie

Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Both kits seem to produce the same trap speeds at the 1/4 mile.. 135 mph.
Apparently Divirexxtreme(protomotive) is the fastest documented stock internals 1/4 car running 10.67.. meanwhile sharky ran a 10.65 on a gt800(built bottom end)... most evoms gt700s run 10.8s ... excluding gt2s... Joe I think ran a 10.7 in his gt2 ... however, divirexxtreme is RWD.
Im trying to be a open minded as possible... so I think if you want the car fast.. like in a week or so... protomotive can not beat the delivery date... you have to ship the car to protomotive... so evoms set up would be the wise choice... With the Proto set up you get a custom tuned car with controllable boost dependent on octane.... with all hard piping, custom ICs, Y pipe, 76 mm TB and splitter, maf and maf housing- protomotive does not use the stock MAF.
both set ups have no TB shut down... nice.
I did notice that the protomotive set up runs less boost... and yet its pretty strong.
On the other hand, evoms is using garrett turbos- very nice ...
Proto uses very affordable k24s worked up with a 18g mitsubishi compressors... yet can also do garrett gt30rs worked with the k24s....
Evoms, from what I hear has less lag... but the protomotive set up I hear pulls harder up on top...
If you factor in the evoms ICs... 75 mm TB with Y pipe.. thats an extra $6300 I think... thus bringing up the bill from $28900 b4 install to about $35000. On the other hand the protomotive set up can be done for considerably less with the ICs, 76 mmTB, splitter, and Y pipe...
but then you , as I said b4, have to ship the car to Arkansas... and thats about a month of waiting and extra shipping costs...
I'm partial since I have protomotive... but Im trying to be as open minded as possible... I gave you the facts that I know.. and some hear say that I heard as well.
you can't go wrong with either set up....
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 09-27-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Faast996TT is infamous around these parts
Very informative post Markski.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Banned for Good.
Markski,
Damn that was a good response! I'm too used to Supraforums

Old 09-27-2006, 03:48 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Both kits seem to produce the same trap speeds at the 1/4 mile.. 135 mph.
Apparently Divirexxtreme(protomotive) is the fastest documented stock internals 1/4 car running 10.67.. meanwhile sharky ran a 10.65 on a gt800(built bottom end)... most evoms gt700s run 10.8s ... excluding gt2s... Joe I think ran a 10.7 in his gt2 ... however, divirexxtreme is RWD.
Great post, Mark. Not that it really matters...but just for the sake of accuracy; I ran a 10.65 and Sharky ran a 10.62. I also trapped 136.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 09-27-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Great post, Mark. Not that it really matters...but just for accuracy; I ran a 10.65 and Sharky ran a 10.62. I also trapped 136.
I knew I missed something.... I apologize if I made some factual mistakes....
Hey Scott, Todd told me that ur running on stock headers... wow... things thats make u go hmmmmm LOL

click to view

Old 09-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Yep...keeping my stock headers. No problem on the small mistakes, bro.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Kevin and Marksi...Great info!

MK

Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Originally Posted by Kevin
Find someone in your area or fly to a city and drive "tuned" car. See if it fits your driving style and needs.
+1... Drive the cars and see which one you like better. Your idea of better might be differrent than someone elses!! -Confucious

Old 09-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
I'm surprised that gt25's, 30#ish? compressors make that kinda power. 18G's are closer to 40# compressors.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned for Good.
Originally Posted by Kevin
I think one of the real questions that one must ask is where do you want the power band for your particular application. If you are making or wanting to turn you car into a drag car, with 5K and up power band delivery you will look at the larger K24 and GT30 and GT35 engine packages.. The other 700ish kits which is based on GT25 non-ball bearing cartridges machined into K16 housings will get you a very linear power band with little lag. I have received a few calls from current K24/16G 996TT customers wanting my Z/C systems installed on there turbochargers to reduce the lag. The boost on/off/on (throttle response) typically pushed the RPM into 5000-5500 RPM. Anotherwords boost power recovery didn't start till 5K. They have had to adapt there driving style for daily street driving.

I think that people should ask, not to see a dyno chart, but to see the data curves that show the boost curve laid over the torque and HP on the dyno. If you aren't making 1bar till 4500 RPM.. You are going to see the power hit up the RPM ladder. Again what are your driving styles.. If you are buying a 996TT and you have owned a Supra, going with the K24/18G will be a easy transition.

I think that Markski would agree that if you are going to spend 25-35K on a system. Find someone in your area or fly to a city and drive "tuned" car. See if it fits your driving style and needs. Might be the cheapest plane ticket you ever purchased.
Good info, thanks!

Old 09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
oneflystud is infamous around these parts
all hail to markski haha

Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
I agree as well- the best thing to do sometimes is to fly out and drive the car...
I know that the k24/18g is laggier then the gt28s in the gt700- thats what some who drove said .. however they also said that the protos set up pull very hard all the way up...
On another note.. I don't suggest anyone running the cars at local tracks with 1.5 bars of boost and a set of gt30rs or k24/18gs... thats's simply absurd...
that's where the No lag turbos like Kevins come it... and they run nicely with little to no lag....
however, most of us do not track the cars that way... on the contrary it's all 3rd and 4th gear pulls on some highways or faster streets... and once a k24/18g and or a gt30r is in 3rd gear... game over...
I had stock k24s and I had kevins awesome stage 5s... with 3 different programs... both were around 600 HP.... both different power delivery...
in this example, I think we are talking about slightly stronger cars.... both delivered over 600 rwhp and ran mid to high tens...
as far as pure HP #s... the k24/18gs trapped 136 mph and the gt30rs from evoms around the same... if we compare 1/8 mile then we can see if the k24s are as laggy as we all tend to believe... Im sure scott and joe, for example have the slips somewhere online...
I actually have garretts on both my cars... gt35rs on the turbo as well as a gt35r on my evo 8(which apparently is 7th fastest evo 8 in the country)... and its a street car driven daily.
The upside to the k2418gs, aside from the point already mentioned... is that they are about $4200( including garrett 12 psi WGs) outright without k16 trade in... no need for them at this point... where as with the gt700 you give up ur k16s... and please dont quote me.. but at least $6500 if not more...
Protomotive also designs kits with k24/73 lbs compressors as well as k24/gt30rs... its the customers preference...
Both kits are about pure POWER... so tracking these cars on slower road courses may not be IDEAL.
just my opinion,
markski

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 09-27-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:34 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I knew I missed something.... I apologize if I made some factual mistakes....
Hey Scott, Todd told me that ur running on stock headers... wow... things thats make u go hmmmmm LOL
They sure do make you go HMMMM Mark

Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 AM
if we compare 1/8 mile then we can see if the k24s are as laggy as we all tend to believe... Im sure scott and joe, for example have the slips somewhere online...markski
I did a little comparing using some timeslips that have been posted on the board. For accuracy, I only used cars that are either RWD all the time, or ran RWD while at the track:

Cgmeredithjr (Cleve) EVOMS GT2:

Run #1: 1/8th mile = 98 mph – ¼ mile = 133 mph. Gain of 35 mph on the back half.
Run #2: 1/8th mile = 102 mph – ¼ mile = 134 mph. Gain of 32 mph on back half.

RenntechV12 (Joe) EVOMS GT700 GT2:

Run #1: 1/8th mile = 103 mph – ¼ mile = 131 mph. Gain of 28 mph on the back half.

EVOMS GT800, RWD at time of run:

Run #1: 1/8th mile = 108 mph – ¼ mile = 139 mph. Gain of 31 mph on the back half.

Divexxtreme (Scott) Protomotive 700HP TT, RWD:

Run #1: 1/8th mile = 107 mph – ¼ mile = 135 mph. Gain of 28 mph on the back half.
Run #2: 1/8th mile = 108 mph – ¼ mile = 135 mph. Gain of 27 mph on the back half.
Run #3: 1/8th mile = 103 mph – ¼ mile = 136 mph. Gain of 33 mph on the back half.

The average between my 3 runs was 29.3 gained on the back half.

The average between the 4 above-listed RWD EVOMS runs is 31.5 mph on the back half.

What does this tell us? It seems, using this method of comparison, that the EVOMS cars are gaining most of their speed, on average, in gears 3 – 5, or during the back half of the ¼ mile runs. If we’re using the back-half of a ¼ mile run to determine lag, then I’d say my car doesn’t seem to be very laggy at all. It sure doesn't feel laggy.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 09-28-2006 at 06:54 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evoms