996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thicker Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:42 AM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
Thicker Steering Wheel

Just looking for some feedback on thicker steering wheels. Techart and FVD seem to be the two popular options. How's the FVD one working out for people? Any complaints? Any and all feedback is appreciated because I wanna do this next week...being used to an e46 M3, the stock 996TT steering just isn't cutting it

-Awais

Old 09-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Also, does the FVD wheel block the tach/speedometer at all?

-Awais

Old 09-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I believe Tequipment has replacement steering wheels in thicker versions as well?

Anyone know the part number for the black/alumalook thicker factory wheel?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by O-Ace
...being used to an e46 M3, the stock 996TT steering just isn't cutting it

-Awais
I 100% agree! When I used to jump between my M3 cab and the Turbo, I felt like the Turbo's wheel felt too skinny. I looked into the thicker wheel, but ending up with a carbon tequipment wheel instead and sold the M, so I cannot compare the two anymore.

Not to hijack this thread, but what ever happened to the guy who purchased the ALG (I think) wheel that looked horrible?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:23 AM
How'd you like the Carbon Tequipment wheel? Was it noticably better than stock? And how much did you pay for it? I don't know why Porsche doesn't put in a better wheel stock; I mean for $130K+, you would expect something nice.

-Awais

Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I really like this one with matching stitch.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
here is mine from FVD....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-30-2006, 11:30 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by O-Ace
How'd you like the Carbon Tequipment wheel? Was it noticably better than stock? And how much did you pay for it? I don't know why Porsche doesn't put in a better wheel stock; I mean for $130K+, you would expect something nice.

-Awais
When I bought my car (purchased it used), it came with the full dark wood interior. The first thing on my agenda was to swap everything out to carbon fiber.
I bought the steering wheel and cf side vents from another 6Speeder, who was great and shipped the stuff exactly as described. I think I paid around $900 for all three parts.
As for the wheel, it is exactly like my wood one, but just made with carbon fiber, so I cannot compare with the stock leather wheel. I think it is more for aesthetics then function. But would love to have a little smaller diameter and thicker steering wheel to put in.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:35 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
here is mine from FVD....

Marski

How heavy are your Recaro seats?

Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
Whirls is infamous around these partsWhirls is infamous around these parts
I have the RUF steering wheel and I love it! I used to have the Porsche Tequipment steering wheel with carbon fiber, but didn't like getting my hands burned on the carbon pieces in the summer months here in Texas... Although, it did look good.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Do any of these steering wheels block the Tach or Speedometer?

-Awais

Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Marski

How heavy are your Recaro seats?
I don not the exact weight... but I also purchased them from FVD..
they are power, heated, and vented.

click to view

Old 09-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor
Whirls is infamous around these partsWhirls is infamous around these parts
The RUF does not block the Tach or Speedometer at all....

Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
another close up:

click to view

Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 AM
The FVD one looks really good Mark! I think I might get that one but in all black leather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thicker Steering Wheel