996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Beware of the new Benz!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Beware of the new Benz!!!!!!!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1elpe/SL600.jpg

Old 01-31-2004, 12:20 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Very Aware of the new benz. Just picked one up, and renntech'd it. It still can't compare to a slightly chipped (upsolute) Porsche Turbo. 3.6 seconds 0-60.....11.9sec 1/4 mi ??? Uh, can you say EXAGERATION twice.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:10 PM
jajo is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Very Aware of the new benz. Just picked one up, and renntech'd it. It still can't compare to a slightly chipped (upsolute) Porsche Turbo. 3.6 seconds 0-60.....11.9sec 1/4 mi ??? Uh, can you say EXAGERATION twice.
YEAH! I was gonna say

Old 01-31-2004, 02:10 PM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
Beware of the upcoming SL65 AMG

612 hp and 737 ft/lbs of torque. That isn't a misprint.

I know Brabus took an sl600 (5.5 liter v12) and bored it to 5.8, but i'm pretty sure the new sl 65 will come from the factory as 6.0 liters.

Right now the brabus tuned sl600 is the most powerful merc but after they get their hands on a sl65 it will be a whole new story.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:15 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Shank, Any pics of that new Sl of yours?

Old 01-31-2004, 02:22 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah. Be very aware of a poor handling 4800 lb SL65. Be very aware that it loses control and smashes into something

Old 01-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
Originally posted by LSM
Yeah. Be very aware of a poor handling 4800 lb SL65. Be very aware that it loses control and smashes into something

But they are American cars now, all that matters is straight line performance.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Frosty
But they are American cars now, all that matters is straight line performance.

So true, I traded my E55K for this reason.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:00 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
yep, wondered at the time of the merger who's quality control (or lack thereof) would win out. guess we know how that turned out.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:19 PM
jcramair1 is infamous around these parts
I would much rather have the SL55 over the SL600. I love the sound SL55 over the v12..IMHO

Old 01-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by ben, lj
yep, wondered at the time of the merger who's quality control (or lack thereof) would win out. guess we know how that turned out.
This is very true, Mercedes has been having serious quality control problems lately, but they say with all the next gen cars quality will again become a top priority. I guess only time will tell.

Also, remember all the new BMW M3 engine problems. And the tranny problems plagueing (how do you spell this word?) the new Audi S4. I'm not quite sure what is happening to German manufacturers.

Porsche stills seems to be alright though

PS: Sorry for the thread Hijack

Old 01-31-2004, 09:26 PM
NJPete_2003996T is infamous around these parts
Not sure who caught it or not, but there was an interesting article in Fortune Magazine 2 months back. It basically talked about the on going problems that MB is having with the US market, about the CEO that is going to be steping down soon, and their new economy line.

If you go looking for the magazine, its the one describing how Wall Street let the Enron scandal happen.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:15 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Didn't the new German Chancellor become the first to drive an Audi instead of a MB? I guess he was asked why he was the first not to be driven in a MB. He said he wanted to drive the best car from Germany and when MB proves they can ail their qc problems he will again consider MB.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:56 AM
h20tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by LSM
Didn't the new German Chancellor become the first to drive an Audi instead of a MB? I guess he was asked why he was the first not to be driven in a MB. He said he wanted to drive the best car from Germany and when MB proves they can ail their qc problems he will again consider MB.
This reminds me, when I was in Greece last summer, all of the heads of state including PM switched to Audis from MB's. Go figure.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:18 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally posted by jcramair1
I would much rather have the SL55 over the SL600. I love the sound SL55 over the v12..IMHO
I agree, I miss the rumble of the 55. However, it is very pleasing to see the refinement of the 600. Smooth power delivery, amazing torque. I am sure once the car is broken in, there will be a significant improvement in performance. Keep in mind, I only had 215 mi on the car. I have an Eisenmann Exhaust on order that should bring some rumble back.

Jas, still too cold to take pics, but here's a snapshot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware of the new Benz!!!!!!!!