996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why aren't there more sub 3000lb cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:14 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Why aren't there more sub 3000lb cars?

I can't understand why more manufacturers aren't more concerned with weight. It has been my experience that light weight is the number one factor in making a car fun to drive. It also is probably the biggest factor in scooting around a track quickly.

So why is it that all these cars are so heavy? I just don't see why all of these $100-300k cars weigh over (and in most cases well over) 3000 pounds.

It just does not seem all that difficult to build a lightweight car, especially with the exotic materials these companies have available at that price range. If there were a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, or even some sort of exotic domestic a la Ford GT that weighed 2500lbs it would crush the competition and sell like hot cakes.

Sometimes it seems to me like the companies aren't looking to blow out the competition but instead to just slightly one up it. it's frustrating as hell.

-Steve

Last edited by SteveH; 02-01-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Safety ratings vs. turning stability vs. cost of exotic materials. Sounds like a complicated algorithm solved with the addition of a lot of horsepower.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:37 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
sounds like BS. If Lotus can make a sub 2000lb car with 200hp for under $40,000, i see no reason why someone can't make a 2500lb car with 400-500hp for $180,000.

-Steve

Old 02-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
What does a GT2 weigh in at?

Old 02-01-2004, 07:50 AM
about 3100 w/ GT3 seats

Old 02-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Damn...So much for my clever comeback....$hit, maybe that's why we have so many mods going on $125k cars....they just don't quench the thirst for fun factor?! I don't see many EVO Lancers in the stables alongside TTs. One of my engineers has one..a lot of car for the money.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
Have you seen the Lotus yet, it is essentially a toy with more plastic parts than a Tonka truck. The interior is garbage, and the exterior size is a joke. It is a plaything for the track, that would make a horrible everyday car. I have seen it, and sat in it and can say even at my small size (5'9" 190 lbs.) I had to pratically shoehorn myself in and out of that car. That is not where Porsche (and any other car companies are going these days). They want greater safety with more airbags, and more safety equipment. I read an article once where it stated that the safety equipment added something close to 800 lbs. on a Audi A8. Also people want more comfortable seating, nice leathers, nice big 18" tires/rims, etc., etc. The GT3 RS is about the best you can get these days. Even if you look at minimalist cars like the Honda S2000 or new RX8 they are almost/slightly over 3000 lbs. Whereas the old RX7 was a good 100-200 lbs. lighter. What would the market for a 2500 lb. 500 hp be ? If you could only sell 1000 of them in the world, it doesn't make financial sense to make it. I have already heard that many people have backed out of their Lotus Elise reservations.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:19 PM
i have seen the elise, driven the elise, and am very high up on the order list for the elise. it is an absolutely unbelieveable car and as fun to drive as anything i ever have (which is most everything). It was never designed to be an every day car, but neither are the ferraris or lambos.

i also own an S2000. It is closer to 2700lbs. it is also an absolute blast to drive.

anyway i have no real point to make here because i've already made it. I just feel that there is definitely a market, albeit not huge, for those of us who want a real back-to-basics sports car.

-Steve

Old 02-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
It just does not seem all that difficult to build a lightweight car, especially with the exotic materials these companies have available at that price range
What sort of "exotic" materials, and in what "price range"?

It has been my experience that light weight is the number one factor in making a car fun to drive.

I have a different take. My Turbo is WAY more fun to drive than my previous Boxster S...on any road; and my Turbo weighs almost 500 lbs than my Boxster.

Great steering feel isn't dependent on light weight, and gearing is as important as weight when it comes to acceleration. Great grip is also generated by a great suspension and great tires.

Sometimes it seems to me like the companies aren't looking to blow out the competition
That's because there's more to driving a sports car (on public roads) than just straight performance numbers.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:01 PM
barev is infamous around these parts
Alot would probably have to be sacrificed in order to make the turbo a sub 3000lb car, as far as comfort and safety is concerned.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:24 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Would a boxter with a GT3 engine be under 3000 pounds?

Old 02-01-2004, 08:45 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
One answer: $

Old 02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Mltdown is infamous around these parts
IMO to make a sub 3000lbs car you have to delete many things that American buyers value in a car. Ex. air con, power windows/locks, sunroof, radio, ext. One car that is amazing and weights around 3k is the NSX, more spacifically the NSX-R. One of the more recent Evo articles compares the NSX-R to the Pagani Zonda. They pretty much sum up that the Pagani has twice as much power, however the NSX performs nearly as well and is even more fun to drive. The upcoming Evo RS shows that for those who value performace, sacrifces have to be made.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That's the reason I keep on stripping my car out of useless crap. I'd love to get it down there... It's still too darn heavy

Old 02-01-2004, 09:58 PM
steve c is infamous around these parts
As a side to all of this, the 996TT manages to hide its weight very well.

Had you told me a couple years back that I would purchase a 3500 pound "sports" car, I would have laughed.

Cars like the Toyota MRS, Honda S2000 and Lotus Elise all have a more direct connection with the driver, my assumption has always been that this is a result of the lower weight. Currently, I'm wavering in this belief.

That said, the above Elise comments are interesting. While I agree that the car is toy like in many ways (I could rip the doors off with one hand) I also see the beauty in what it is, almost completely uncompromised.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why aren't there more sub 3000lb cars?