996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My TT As A Winter Beater.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:34 PM
ramone is infamous around these parts
I heard a couple of you say you could get a winter beater for 3K....?

Any specific models ? What should I look out for?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
i drove an S2000 on MPSCs through a chicago winter(it was not fun)....I suppose it is possible to drive a awd turbo with traction control through a winter

Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ECB
id just buy a winter beater for $3k.

the TT is great in the snow...but why?

imagine how much a fender bender in the snow will cost you...then you'll be out a car for 2-3 months witing for parts...

easy for me to say...I forgot what snow looks like!!

Woohoo!
Exactly though, accident or not, the condition of your paint and so on after is heartbreaking, and yes i drive the hell out of my car, but winter's are forbidden!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:16 AM
pierre is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
The TT's make a fairly decent car in the winter with the right snow tires.

Call me. The Pirelli Winter 240 Snow Sport is available in sizing to fit stock TT wheels.
That's exactly what I've been using for several years. DO IT!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 AM
and...

Old 10-11-2006, 09:34 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Just because you can...

Just because you CAN do it, dosen't mean you should. Why compromise any aspect of your car simply because you can. I'm no fan of trailer queens by any stretch, I'm a firm believer that ANY car was built to be driven, however I don't think it makes sense to subject your car to any sort of environment that undoubtedly WILL cause it harm. A good set of winter tires mounted runs 3K easy, get a 1995 through 1999 jeep cherokee 4x4 for 2500 to 5000 and save yourself the stress: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...QQcmdZViewItem

If the Jeep isn't your taste, go with an old Landrover Discovery or even a Rover series III: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...QQcmdZViewItem

In the end you'll find a lot more uses for the 4x4 than a set of tires anyways. Plus, depending how long your winters are, you may save enough miles to switch your insurance on the TT and actually save money. Look into it.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Why doing it? Maybe just for the fun of it?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned
crazy1323 is infamous around these parts
Pierre, yes you drive your car in the snow and that will not hurt it at all. However, i used to live in tDenver where they do not ude actualy salt but a chemical copy and there are 2-3 year old cars with rusted frames. The compunds on the road kill cars in the winter.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by pierre
Why doing it? Maybe just for the fun of it?
Peirre the roads you are driving on don't look like the type that are salted. Just guessing here. Looks like fun

Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 AM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
my neighbor does it. well he also has a range rover but still

Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 AM
cgmeredithjr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ramone

My TT is my daily driver (only car I currently own) and I intend to drive it during the winter too. I'm thinking the AWD and some winter tires should keep me safe. I currently have All seasons. What winter tires out there would you guys recommend ? What things should I do or look out for in preparation ?

Thanks guys
Put some studded tires on it and take it ice racing!

Cleve

Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
DavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud of
I don't understand the fear of driving your car in the winter. Here in Europe everybody does that and it's considered normal. The turbo even has 4wheel drive, so I don't see a problem there.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by DavidS
I don't understand the fear of driving your car in the winter. Here in Europe everybody does that and it's considered normal. The turbo even has 4wheel drive, so I don't see a problem there.
Do they put salt and chemicals on the roads in your area ? Where in Europe are you btw ? Does it snow heavily where you are ?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 PM
ryalex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pierre
winter pics
Great pics - you're the man! LOL

I live in Cambridge, Ramone, and see a pair of 996TT's (one black, one silver) out on the street in winter and in the snow. Silver guy has a Cayenne Turbo in the driveway too, but the 911 is still being driven!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My TT As A Winter Beater.....