996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is the 996GT2 too harsh for daily use!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 AM
mac911 is infamous around these parts
Is the 996GT2 too harsh for daily use!?!?

Hi 6speed members,
Been following the forum for quite a while and wanted to get some opinions. Just wondering if the GT2 is too harsh for daily use. I live in Sol. Cal, so stop and go traffic may seem to be a problem. My dilemma right now is choosing btwn a GT2 (02 model which is out of warranty) or a 996TT X50 (that has about 1 more year of warranty left). What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
MAC

Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 AM
ramone is infamous around these parts
The 996 turbo is ideal and practical for everyday use ie stop/go traffic, long comutes etc. While the GT2 can also be driven on the street, it caters also for the track with less amenities, and more rawness as compared to the Turbo. I have never had the priveledge to drive the GT2 so I can't really elaborate more on its drivability than to state the basic facts.

I'm sure some of the many members here with first hand experiences with the GT2 can give you more informed response on the GT2's driving characteristics. All I can tell you is that the Turbo is very street friendly and was designed specifically with the street driver in mind. Also if you're worried about performance, the X50 turbo will pack more than enough punch

- You mentioned warranty. If this is going to be your every day car, then I would def. go with whatever car has the existing warranty. If the car still has relativiley low mileage and is in good overall condition you can even extend that warranty another 2-3 years through porsche. Its the smartest path to take. However if this is going to be your weekend car, then I say screw the warranty.

Last edited by ramone; 10-16-2006 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
not too harsh, but seems like such a waste to rack up miles in stop and go 405. why not get something else to waste in traffic? or just for posing?

Old 10-16-2006, 02:13 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i prefer the GT2 over Turbo for daily use mainly because of the heavier clutch. that's a big deal for me & i like that!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
GT2, no brainer! Its not too harsh for daily, but you cant ask me LOL!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
The GT2 can be a daily driver. The stock suspension is not too harsh. The ride height is low but the front plastic spoiler leap is cheap to replace (unlike the CGT). The clutch is excellent even for heavy traffic.
Now is the GT2 fun as daily driver or should you use it as DD? HELL NO.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
daily drivers are tough for me ... has to be something i really don't care about.(chry pacifica) then when i get in the p car it's like a new car all over again....and i can't wait to drive it..

Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steve harris
daily drivers are tough for me ... has to be something i really don't care about.(chry pacifica) then when i get in the p car it's like a new car all over again....and i can't wait to drive it..
Thats what i was explaining a while ago on here. I appreciated my cars so much more using them for what they were suppose to do, G35 i loved getting into for daily commute and errands, and turbo for fun time. When i first got the turbo i drove it so much i lost the love for it, then i gave it a rest and i loved it all over again!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
I like driving my cars as much as I can but I would never daily drive the GT2 with the roads we have here (ground clearance) and temperatures/humidity.

Heat and humidity and low air-flow to intercoolers (stop n go traffic) is torture for the engine. Save it for the weekends.

If you have a GT2 I am sure you can afford a nice daily driver... An E39 M5 or 540 for example after 2002 would be ideal IMO.

Last edited by Gabriel; 10-16-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 PM
deardara is infamous around these parts
It's no problem for dd w/ GT2

Old 10-16-2006, 11:49 PM
mac911 is infamous around these parts
Hey guys,
Thank you very much for all the input. The only thing that is holding me back from getting a GT2 at the moment is the warranty issue. Would it be more expensive to certify a GT2 compared to a regular turbo? IF I do get the GT2, I plan to drive it maybe 3-4 times a week (my philosophy is to drive it and enjoy it). I do not plan to track the car...it will just be made for road use only. Also wondering what is a fair market value for used GT2s? If I do purchase out of state, would I have problems passing emissons in CAlifornia. Thx.
MAC

Old 10-17-2006, 01:41 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Mac911,

As long as the GT2 you are buying is a USA car, it is 50 state legal. There is a plaque in the engine bay that states it is legal, including in California (that right Calif. is specifically mentioned). Be sure you get a photo of that and confirm it is a USA car.

As far as warranty goes, I would not waste a dime on a certification. You will spend a lot to get it, so put that money aside for the GT2 rainy day fund. There really is nothing to break on a GT2, it is a pretty simple car.

As far as DD goes, the Turbo is a much better choice. It has a hydraulic assited clutch, so it is much nicer to drive in traffic. The GT2 has a very heavy clutch, but if you are looking to build up your left leg, it is fine. GT2 can be driven daily, and before 35 I would have absolutely done so. Now I am old and soft, so I drive an M5 daily and save the GT2 for the weekends.

Good luck, both are great cars.

JCM

Old 10-17-2006, 10:34 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
driving a GT2 in traffic is still far more fun than one parked in your garage...and if you have to be in traffic it might as well be in a sick *** car than some boring sedan DD. I think the only benifit to the 996tt vs gt2 for a DD is the AWD helps out in bad weather/rain, etc...but thats not very much or very often.

dw

Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
acw
acw is infamous around these parts
I have been using my GT2 as a daily driver for over a year. It is fine. You'll get use to the heavy clutch after a few hundred miles. The car is stiffer than a turbo but not to a level that would make street driving a pain.

AW

Old 10-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I guess if you really want a GT2 as a daily driver, you will be the one to know it.

I'm still recommending racking up miles on a TT. I don't really see how you will enjoy a GT2 any more during a daily commute. Now if you want a GT2 to double as your weekend track car.... that's a different story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the 996GT2 too harsh for daily use!?!?