996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Want to track my car but worried....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Boludo is infamous around these parts
Want to track my car but worried....

I really have the bug to track my car but am a bit concerned about all the little rocks and hot rubber flicking up on the car. I take my modded mini cooper s out on the track because I don't worry about it like I do the tt. Last time I was out a little rock cracked my windshield. What do you guys do to be able to track it and protect it from all the crap on the track?

Old 10-19-2006, 12:31 AM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
go faster!

Old 10-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Boludo is infamous around these parts
or make tons of money where that's not an issue.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 AM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Tracking a car has inherent risk. Someone can go off the track and throw rocks and stuff onto the track. I got my windshield completely cracked when a certain modified turbocharged RX-7 went off-track, which was then followed by a Viper on slicks that I was following very closely (fellow instructor) and then my 993TT. Nothing hit paint, but the windshield took the hit.

I don't know what run group you normally would run, but if you're not running with the intermediate and above people, you would be fine since most do not have very sticky rubber (though that is fast changing).

The only thing you can do to minimize stuff is to be in front as grussell suggests, or to put a bra on the car (and tape headlights, etc.). Keep in mind that stuff happens out there (just like the streets)...I once thought it was my lousy driving on a very cold day but the NSX in front apparently put in one of those 'quick-oil-change' fittings which was loose and was spraying half the track with oil...miracle nothing bad happened on that particular run session since the entire track on the normal line had a nice oil 'marker'...

My best advice is drive within your limits and stay on the track to minimize risk...and use good judgment on who you 'play' with on track.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
One time I was following this one monster RS car real close around the track. When its exhaust shot out long blue flames I thought my car was going to get torched down.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Racers tape!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
that would be 3M blue painters tape. lol

Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by vincentdds
One time I was following this one monster RS car real close around the track. When its exhaust shot out long blue flames I thought my car was going to get torched down.
OMFG! ...I just fell of my chair.....memories that just came back....

As for the track...racers tape works very well and there is clear windshield adhesive that you can buy......or just stay in the lead all the time!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Kevin M- Is that MSR?

Old 10-19-2006, 03:10 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
There's a new paint adhesive that you spray on your car and then you can wash it off after the track event. They sell it at autozone. I haven't used it, but heard about it.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
Kevin M- Is that MSR?
Not sure, whats MSR?

Old 10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Kevin M
Not sure, whats MSR?
Dallas-area track, but I just noticed you were California based so it probably wasn't it

Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by oak
that would be 3M blue painters tape. lol
shhhhhhhhh ... no one will know. It's racing tape.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
tracking our baby...

I track my car and yeah there are risks,
first of all, tape the hell out of your car like above.

Remember, the worst could happen; prepare yourself for how that might
play out. Ie. rollover (like at our recent events we had (2) totalled cars
which is very unusual but it happens.
buy track insurance!

Marty K.

Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
RESQ911 is a jewel in the roughRESQ911 is a jewel in the roughRESQ911 is a jewel in the rough
Wow that guy should've wrapped the whole car. Try going in reverse, it'll save the windshield

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Want to track my car but worried....