996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:04 PM
vanboost is infamous around these parts
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07?

Time for new, OEM sized tires all around. I did a quick search on TireRack.com and these topped the list with gushing reviews, despite treadwear.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....VAN+Neova+AD07

Any insight?

Is there otherwise a hands-down favourite OEM replacement?

Thanks all
VB...

Old 10-20-2006, 06:55 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
VB, I think the hands down favorite tire for this car is the Michelin Pilot Sport 2, hands down.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
VB....Speed rating is too low for our cars, unless you drive her slowly....MPS2's 315's and 235's.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:13 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom kerr
VB, I think the hands down favorite tire for this car is the Michelin Pilot Sport 2, hands down.
Tom,

After some testing and alot of research on this, I came to the conclusion that the PS2's are the BEST tire for the TT (street use) as long as you have a stiffer aftermarket suspension to make up for the soft sidewalls, actually this will help the handling on the wet BUT if you have the stock suspension or even the RoW suspension (like me) these tires are too soft and the car wallows at high speeds which doesn't happen with Briggestone SO-2A's, Pilot Sport Rib or P-Zeros which were designed with the TT in mind and the PS2's were not, they were designed for the lighter, stiffer GT3.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
VB....Speed rating is too low for our cars, unless you drive her slowly....MPS2's 315's and 235's.
I've had good experiences with Yokohama tires in the past and my favorite street/track compromise tire with my 993TT was a Yoko A032R.

Unless you plan on exceeding 168 MPH (the Yoko's W speed rating, which is technically higher than a Z rating from earlier days which were 'greater than 149mph') on the street, I'd say they would be just fine.

Of course, I'm with the mindset that the performance envelope of these cars and those tires would be tough to exceed on public roads (or racetracks even, since all tracks I've driven, with the exception of 1, wouldn't get you close to 168mph at the end of the longest straight).

Old 10-20-2006, 10:55 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
check out the yok A048 they have good grip from cold and grip almost as well as the MPSC's when heated. The advantage for the A048 is good and predictable grip when cold. The auto cross guys seem to prefer them over the MPSC's because they don't have the luxury to heat up the tires. The MPSC's are very dangerous when cold esp after a few heat cycles, have a tendency to go with out any warning.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:49 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
"Of course, I'm with the mindset that the performance envelope of these cars and those tires would be tough to exceed on public roads (or racetracks even, since all tracks I've driven, with the exception of 1, wouldn't get you close to 168mph at the end of the longest straight)"

Right...would never do such a thing on the street... ....come to BC and drive the mountains with me...that would soon change in a heartbeat...OMG..did I just say that....Me Bad!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:54 AM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Right...would never do such a thing on the street... ....come to BC and drive the mountains with me...that would soon change in a heartbeat...OMG..did I just say that....Me Bad!
BigBadBen is bAD!

The closest I've ever been to the W speed rating limit was probably at Texas Motor Speedway setup with a chicane (ALMS type of setup) after the start/finish line in a stock 993TT-indicated about 160mph before I had to hit the brakes to make it into the chicane...

Old 10-21-2006, 02:09 AM
YT....

Done one handed on the road from Kelowna to Rock Creek (Hwy 33), single lane in the rain....this is nothing BTW.

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2006, 02:51 AM
Japanese Exotic ;)
Curtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to behold
i have personal experience with these tires as well as the michelin ps2's

they are very evenly matched but surprsingly the advan's have lasted me 8k miles so far and i'm running really aggressive camber. (-3 deg fronts, -2degree rears) car is putting down 450rwhp at low boost pump gas. I've taken this tire on a few track days and even had samuel hubinette (prof drifter / driver ) take the car out and he praised the tires as well.

they are very easy to predict at the limit, and are by far the stickiest street tire i've had a chance to try, you will not be dissapointed with the neova's.

-Curtis

Old 10-21-2006, 06:52 PM
vanboost is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Curtis@MD
i have personal experience with these tires as well as the michelin ps2's

they are very evenly matched but surprsingly the advan's have lasted me 8k miles so far and i'm running really aggressive camber. (-3 deg fronts, -2degree rears) car is putting down 450rwhp at low boost pump gas. I've taken this tire on a few track days and even had samuel hubinette (prof drifter / driver ) take the car out and he praised the tires as well.

they are very easy to predict at the limit, and are by far the stickiest street tire i've had a chance to try, you will not be dissapointed with the neova's.

-Curtis
Thanks Curtis, since my car is a daily driver (sometimes for my wife too) I have decided to pass on these because I'm a little concerned about their colder-weather performance and the jury still seems to be out on rain handling.

Pacific Northwest = rain. Plus, we live a little higher up in altitude in town, so although we NEVER get to 14F it does get down around 25-30 at the coldest. No tire damage at these temperatures but I am concerned about compromised performance and safety.

Sure as hell is tempting though. If they're OEM on Lotus Elises, they can't be all that radical.

Regards
VB

Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Faast996TT is infamous around these parts
I run these on my stock 18's when driving on the street. I also have the A048's for the track, but have only taken the car to the track once. I run the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on my 19's. I also have run everything from Hoosiers, Yokohama A032, A048, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Kumho Victoracers and Toyo R1's on my last track car....a 500whp EVO VIII.

The ADVANS compare very favorably to the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and you will be very happy with them for your 18's. They are predictable at the limit and are very flexible at all temps.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:06 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Vanboost - I was hoping you opted for the AD07's as I almost went that way. The saftey factor in cold/wet makes sense, especially so you don't have to worry when your wife's driving the car. I've been driving daily in Edmonton, in the rain @ 2'C-5'C with my new RA1's for the past couple of weeks and they aren't as bad as I had feared. It would be interesting to hear how the AD07s perform is similiar conditions.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
I got my ADVAN Sport 315/25ZR19 and they are very nice...I just love them I think Tirerack has it and there more $$ than the PS2

Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 PM
scotty slc is infamous around these parts
My vote is for S02a's.... I would choose them over MPS anyday... I do 70% street driving 30% track