996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

LWFW, pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Highhats, I believe has the EVOM clutch which purportedly is more
difficult to drive. I am ordering the clutch from Ultimate Motorwerks
pictured above with lightweight flywheel because of its DRIVEABILITY!,
I drove Dr. Tom Kerr's car with it and it is easy to drive--no difference
in length of engagement. I had an ON/OFF clutch in my 993TT and
EVERYONE killed it that drove it--I hated it.

MK

Old 10-21-2006, 09:56 AM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Highhats, I believe has the EVOM clutch which purportedly is more
difficult to drive. I am ordering the clutch from Ultimate Motorwerks
pictured above with lightweight flywheel because of its DRIVEABILITY!,
I drove Dr. Tom Kerr's car with it and it is easy to drive--no difference
in length of engagement. I had an ON/OFF clutch in my 993TT and
EVERYONE killed it that drove it--I hated it.

MK
From what I've learned, the springs on the clutch disked in the kit pictures above in wachuko's post helps with that ability to partially slip the disk (but may also compromise the grip of the clutch).

I've also just learned the variables behind the pressure plate.

Why do I have a feeling that the ultimate source for all these clutches is the same? Regardless of tuner, are they all coming from Sachs?

I suspect mine is also a disk with the springs because it definitely is not 'on/off', but I also do not know what pressure plate was used (or whether I have another problem).

Last edited by yellowturbo; 10-21-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:11 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
I think those springs are on the clutch disk is to reduce transmission shock. Since the LW flywheel is one piece whereas the oem is a dual mass flywheel, you do not want the torque to exceed the rating of the tranny.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:25 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I suppose it has already been said, but I'll add...I have the same set-up as Kevin...UMW's Sachs stage 2 w/LWFW. It is just as easy to drive as stock, there is a little chatter (which is amplified with ac on), but this does not bother me.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
The best testimony to the clutch upgrade is that many of us have gone with it and are very heppy with it. As to why, well for me it was for the faster acceleration, ease of heel toe blipping at the track and more performance oriented. It does make some chatter but very mechanical sound that goes with the car. It is very streetable and easy to drive but yellow turbo did describe the fact that you loose the inertia of the dual mass flywheel and this does take time to get used to. Then its all good. I think it would be a crime to need a clutch replacement and not upgrade to a performance version. I truely believe in todays problem is tomorrows upgrade!!!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:31 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
or tomorrows problem was yesterdays upgrade. tom, what's up with your car? have you found out what the problem is?

Old 10-22-2006, 02:28 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
well Oak, funny you should say that cause your quote fits my car exactly. Got the car back, "they found nothing wrong". Had them put in a 1:1 FPR and now car sputters from 3k to redline in all gears!!!
I am again on the way back to the dealer!!! Thanks for asking!!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:40 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
well Oak, funny you should say that cause your quote fits my car exactly. Got the car back, "they found nothing wrong". Had them put in a 1:1 FPR and now car sputters from 3k to redline in all gears!!!
I am again on the way back to the dealer!!! Thanks for asking!!
Tom, sorry to hear about this frustrating episode. Do you really think it is LWFW related? The reason I ask is you, more than anyone, has probably put more hard track miles on a LWFW setup than most people. How can it be a perfect setup in the past and then one day it is an issue? Kevin

Old 10-22-2006, 02:43 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wachuko
I drove Tom's car and notice no difference from mine (original setup) in terms of engagement effort and noise... the ability of the car to rev faster was noticeable. I have it as one of the next mods to do when the current clutch goes out.

That one is good up until a point (around 600 or so?).. the trick is finding one that'll take 700 plus

Old 10-22-2006, 02:52 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
sorry to hi-jack this thread.

tom, I didn't mention this before because I thought it might be a longshot. But since they changed out most everything that could be causing the symptom, did the tech's do a thorough diagnosis of the fuel pick-up system? the hose attached to the fuel pick-up, check voltage of all the fuel pumps, change out the fuel filters? starting to sound like a fuel problem or some sort of voltage/elec.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:06 PM
First let me say I think the LWFW is an incredible performance upgrade and I dont feel there is any down side. I have many hard track miles on mine and I dont think it is a problem.
Seems my problem was related to the software and what you have mentioned Oak, and I want to thank you for the insight. After some "tinkering" I added the 1:1 EVO FRP and also found my oxygen sensor in my straight pipes were VERY loose.
Just had the car out today, and I "think" all the bugs are gone!!!
I want to thank the dealer for putting up with the 30 phone calls a day (I'm not kidding!). You guys, especially Oak, and my buddy who was the one to crawl under the car this weekend and find the loose sensors.
2, two day Sebring events coming up in two weeks. I'll let ya know how things go.
I also have some Sebring in car video stuff I am trying to post, hopefully soon.

Thanks again all..............Back in the saddle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Thx Tom, thats what I wanted to hear, some positives on the LWFW. Also congrats on getting the bugs worked out!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:34 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
That one is good up until a point (around 600 or so?).. the trick is finding one that'll take 700 plus
I am starting to feel that my car has that clutch package installed and it slips a bit in 4th gear from around 3500 rpm to about 4500 rpm on all-out acceleration. I also have the LWFW. Fairly streetable clutch though..

So going back to the original thread, a LWFW is a great upgrade but definitely makes it less streetable. Of course, I would probably have a different opinion if I had a lot of traffic to go through on hilly terrain...

Old 10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Tranny work? ..as in a rebuild? You should get a LSD...

Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
LOL just do it, just the fact the LWFQ/Clutch combo is an amazing upgrade in ANY CAR should have you sold. 996TT modded but with better throttle response is an awesome addition!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LWFW, pros and cons?