996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

LWFW, pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
LWFW, pros and cons?

Im thinking of getting a lwfw when I get my tranny work done. I have heard that the LWFW tends to chatter a bit a idle but is that the only drawback? Will the throttle response improve noticeably? Will the clutch be easier to engage smoothly? I currently have a evoms stage 1 clutch with the OEM flywheel. Now I feel that the car is difficult to launch, especially around town. Just grabs halfway up the pedal travel abrubtly. I still stall it on occasion . Will this get worse or better with a lwfw?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
It will be easier to stall with a LWFW so chatter is not the only drawback. You will get much better throttle response as you rev it up, but will ALSO get faster throttle response as the revs come DOWN...so if you are in neutral or the clutch not engaged and you blip the throttle, you will most likely stall since the CPU sometimes cannot react fast enough to maintain good idle. It will actually magnify the 'abruptness' of your current clutch so it's going to get 'worse' from a streetability standpoint.

LWFW are essentially a performance mod, but it will require a little more skill to drive the car smoothly.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Do you want a gentlemans GT or a performance car? It is like any other piece of performance equipment............. you will learn how to use it. Yes it stalls easier. Another more difficult task is parallel parking and backing up an incline. But, the motor does accelerate faster.

Last edited by cjv; 10-20-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:07 AM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Any other advantages? You guys arent selling me so far

Last edited by rwm514; 10-21-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 AM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
I drove Tom's car and notice no difference from mine (original setup) in terms of engagement effort and noise... the ability of the car to rev faster was noticeable. I have it as one of the next mods to do when the current clutch goes out.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Which clutch setup is that? I noticed the sprung disk so that should improve streetability. Is you car modified? I'm curious what kind of HP levels that setup is capable of. Also, which pressure plate are you using?

Old 10-21-2006, 12:52 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
Which clutch setup is that? I noticed the sprung disk so that should improve streetability. Is you car modified? I'm curious what kind of HP levels that setup is capable of. Also, which pressure plate are you using?
GT3RS with LWFW. I think it is good for up to 700hp.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:11 AM
wachuko-could you check part numbers on the pressure plate as well as the disk?

M3CAB- Have your replaced yours? What part numbers are you running?

How does the GT3RS pressure plate differ from the GT2 pressure plate? Which has more clamping force?

Old 10-21-2006, 03:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Carlos, just get the gt 3RS clutch with the LWFW and u will be done...

However, IM still wondering what the hell is wrong with the one you have in you car... Im sure the car was not abused.. you hardly have any miles on it...
and yet it seems to be slipping... I doubt that Orbit racing and or the racers group would do a bad install... You may not need a full blown clutch- maybe just a minor adjustment...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-21-2006, 08:18 AM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
wachuko-could you check part numbers on the pressure plate as well as the disk?

M3CAB- Have your replaced yours? What part numbers are you running?

How does the GT3RS pressure plate differ from the GT2 pressure plate? Which has more clamping force?
I don't have that info.... this is a planned mod that I have on my list when the time comes. I got the photo from Kevin @ www.Ultimatemotorwerks.com

Old 10-21-2006, 08:24 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wachuko
I don't have that info.... this is a planned mod that I have on my list when the time comes. I got the photo from Kevin @ www.Ultimatemotorwerks.com
I have Kevin's kit and have nothing but good things to say about it. My wife drives the car and doesnt even know I installed the LWFW. It does chatter, but the driveability issues are way overblown IMO. Kevin

Old 10-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by M3CAB
GT3RS with LWFW. I think it is good for up to 700hp.

I won't say 700hp but more like 650 crank horse. just my IMO

Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Carlos I had the same symptoms. I know its expensive to even diagnose the clutch thats hwy when peopel take it out they replace it. It sounds like you have a bad bearing screw or two. If your gonna tkae it out go stage 3 or higher youll love it. again IMO.

-Suman

Old 10-21-2006, 09:10 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
I won't say 700hp but more like 650 crank horse. just my IMO
Your supporting data for this statement is..... The tuner who has sold many, many sets says otherwise. Kevin

Old 10-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Highhats
Carlos I had the same symptoms. I know its expensive to even diagnose the clutch thats hwy when peopel take it out they replace it. It sounds like you have a bad bearing screw or two. If your gonna tkae it out go stage 3 or higher youll love it. again IMO.

-Suman
Now THAT's interesting that you have same symptoms. What clutch do you have?

A few experts have diagnosed the symptoms to possibly be that I'm not using a GT2 pressure plate.

I am planning to have the clutch out in a few months and will be prepared for a full replacement.

My current clutch is very streetable though I still have to watch the revs with the lLWFW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LWFW, pros and cons?