996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I Need To Go On A Diet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
I can tell you that a GT2 vs a TT has about a 23% time advantage over a 62-124mph run. About 20% from hp/weight advantage and a net of about 3% between advantage of 4WD losses and offset by worse aerodynamics.
That's right. I forgot that the GT2 has a higher drag coefficient than the TT. .34 for the GT2 vs .31 for the TT.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:05 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
This leads me to point out how much of a difference a GT2 on a slight diet can make at the 1/4 track...
Unfortunately we categorize tts and gt2s in the same pool.... Clearly GT2s have an advantage at the 1/4 track... not to mention it doesnt have PSM which really hurts us guys at the start... LSD is another plus that we do not have...
I think there are only 4 non tuner cars on 6speed that ran 10s.... 2 of which are GT2s... And Im pretty sure 3 out of the 4 are on a decent diet...
Im only speculating...
markski
I ran 10s before I ran shark werks:P

Old 10-26-2006, 08:19 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Hummm....KPG....so all those questions about impact of weight vs performance......were not only out of curiosity....
Jean, it was purely coincidental Kevin

Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
That's right. I forgot that the GT2 has a higher drag coefficient than the TT. .34 for the GT2 vs .31 for the TT.
The GT2 height is normally lower with better flow from front to back spoilers. How come it has .34 vs .31?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
The GT2 height is normally lower with better flow from front to back spoilers. How come it has .34 vs .31?
Bigger intakes that channel more air to the brakes.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-26-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
CF roof :P

Old 10-26-2006, 10:00 PM
DARKFURY is infamous around these parts
Larger rear wing

Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Now that hurts, Doc. Kevin
Kevin as the "team doc" just lookn out for ya!!! Want you to be around for a long time to share your great posts!!! tom

Old 10-27-2006, 11:10 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Grussel,

that was funny!
I weigh 184 (have for 20 years), and the last roll I volunteered to do
was against a 70 Chevelle SS with built up big block. I did "HAPPEN"
to notice the two guys weighed in excess of 575 when paired together...

One must know what they are up against!!

Good luck KPG, are you saying you need more power??

MK

Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Grussel,

that was funny!
I weigh 184 (have for 20 years), and the last roll I volunteered to do
was against a 70 Chevelle SS with built up big block. I did "HAPPEN"
to notice the two guys weighed in excess of 575 when paired together...

One must know what they are up against!!

Good luck KPG, are you saying you need more power??

MK
Marty, I am just organizing and graphing a whole battery of GPS data from 9Eleven's red GT2 with ECU programming to post today. The data makes it abundantly clear that weight hurts... and hurts a great deal.His car flew and although he beat my GPS times in some areas and I beat him in others it is clear that these 2 cars are dead even. Between these two cars at the drags it comes down to this.... the driver who makes a mistake loses, plain and simple. A 0-160 run is going to be posted My hat is off to 9Eleven. As for needing more power....why not? Kevin

Old 10-27-2006, 12:50 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
CF roof :P
A question for anyone out there who can answer...

If one were to ditch the steel roof (w/ sunroof, sunroof motor, etc) for a carbon fibre roof and new hole-less headliner, would it present a potential safety hazard on a street car?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
I think the new M5 or M6 has a CF roof. (distant memory from Top Gear). It would certainly lower the center of gravity.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:02 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KPG
Marty, I am just organizing and graphing a whole battery of GPS data from 9Eleven's red GT2 with ECU programming to post today. The data makes it abundantly clear that weight hurts... and hurts a great deal.His car flew and although he beat my GPS times in some areas and I beat him in others it is clear that these 2 cars are dead even. Between these two cars at the drags it comes down to this.... the driver who makes a mistake loses, plain and simple. A 0-160 run is going to be posted My hat is off to 9Eleven. As for needing more power....why not? Kevin
Kevin, you're a true gentlemen. I really enjoyed using the Racelogic, although I did test fate on several occasions. I don't think I had the car floored all the way up 160 mph, so I probably could have bested that time. I think my self preservation instincts kicked in and I laid off the throttle slightly.

I couldn't agree more with your comments, the cars are almost dead even. The best driver wins in this case. Weight is a very important variable in this comparison, more than we ever thought. Did you ever get a trap speed? I think my best was 127.1. Like I said, when you come out in March, dinner is on me.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 10-27-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:05 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Kevin, you're true gentlemen. I really enjoyed using the Racelogic, although I did test fate on several occasions. I don't think I had the car floored all the way up 160 mph, so I probably could have bested that time. I think my self preservation instincts kicked in and I laid off the throttle slightly.

I couldn't agree more with your comments, the cars are almost dead even. The best driver wins in this case. Weight is a very important variable in this comparison, more than we ever thought. Did you ever get a trap speed? I think my best was 127.1. Like I said, when you come out in March, dinner is on me.
I will get you your trap speeds, but there is NO way I am posting them.... these 1/4 mile Neanderthals will laugh me off the board without a timeslip Kevin

Old 10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Vincent you need to look at aerodynamics both from the area (includes ride height) and drag (includes wing, spoilers, air ducting etc..)point of vue.

The 996TT has a CD of 0.31 however an area of 2 sq. m. which makes it a CDa of 0.62 sq.m.

The 996GT2 has worse aerodynamic drag of 0.34 (wing, tire sizes, front lip etc..) but lesser area of 1.96 sq. m. (30mm lower) the resulting CDa is 0.67 Sq. m., which is worse than the 996TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.