996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:40 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Tire Pressure Monitoring System Recommendations

Hey Guys!

Any recommendations for Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems? I have new rims and tires ready for the winter and was going to install the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Any recommedations/good prices/praises or problems? Thanks in advance!

Jason

Old 10-26-2006, 01:53 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
TireRack has the Smartire, which I never got around to ordering yet. I have looked into these also, and know the importance of them with these low profile tires. I just wish they did not have such a huge display.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
it's strange... i thought you use to be able to order an extra display that displays the numeric value of the tire pressure reading... doesn't seem avaible anymore...

Old 10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I've had the gen 2 smartire system with the lcd display. I can't imagine driving with out it. You can pre set your low tire press and low press warning individually to each wheel and tire. Also monitors temps.

I just ordered a set of sensors for a new set of tire and wheel from vulcan. You can purchase the lsd displaly here: http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_pas_acc.htm

Old 10-26-2006, 02:56 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
We are actually discontinuing the Smart Tire system in favor of the new Route system. $199. Check it out at their websight for now as it's so new we don't have it on ours yet. I think you'll agree it's a nicer system than the SmartTire system was. I have them in stock and ready to go.

http://www.wtpms.com/wtpms.htm

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Yow Damon, I want one of those. Do let us know
when we can order it. How about a group order?
Joe

Old 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
We are actually discontinuing the Smart Tire system in favor of the new Route system. $199. Check it out at their websight for now as it's so new we don't have it on ours yet. I think you'll agree it's a nicer system than the SmartTire system was. I have them in stock and ready to go.

I am interested in this system, but have a few questions. Do you know the size of the display and will the display be offered with an orange backlight instead of blue? Thanks for any info, since the website is very basic.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
In fact, if someone has one car and switches between 2 or 3 sets
of tires, is it possible to buy one display and 12 sensors? Is the
temperature the air temperature or the tread temperature? Can
you find the corelation?
thanks
Joe

Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack

damon... will tirerack be having a closeout sale for the remaiing smarttire sytems???? i would still be interested in picking up a set

Old 10-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Yow Damon, I want one of those. Do let us know
when we can order it. How about a group order?
Joe
yah. i'm up for the group buy and some extra tire sensors too!!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:34 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
With the Smartire you can switch out tires, just need to reprogram the reciever in learn mode. They will eventually self learn even if you don't reprogram, it may just take awhile. Better to just reprogram. The temperature is the air and ambient temps in the acutal tire. You can get corelations by just using and infrared temp gauge and comparing it to the lcd read-out. To get a delta deviation from actual tread temp to lcd temp. It's amazingly pretty accurate. It's about a +-.5 lb in pressure deviation.

Ive had a couple set of the 1st and 2nd gen Smartire system and they have worked great. Only had one sensor go bad and was replaced at no cost.

Pretty cool to learn and observe tire pressure and heat build-up in varying conditions. Great for lowpressure warning also.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Here's what I have on the system so far:

-IT USES VALVE SENSORS
-PRESSURE DISPLAYS IN PSI, BAR, KPA, KG/CM2
-TEMPERATURE DISPLAYS IN F' OR C'.
-MONITORS VEHICLE'S BATTERY CHARGE ALSO.
-EXPECTED BATTERY LIFE IS 7-8 YEARS. 5 YEARS GUARANTEED.
-BATTERIES CANNOT BE REPLACED, SAME WITH ALL OTHER SENSORS.
-CAN MONITOR 4-5 TIRES, NO DUALLY APPLICATION.
-SMALL, BLUE, BACK-LIT DISPLAY CAN BE HARD-WIRED INTO DASH.
-BACK-LIT BLUE SHUTS OFF AFTER ABOUT 20 SECONDS OF DRIVING.
-LED LIGHT IS GREEN WHEN TIRES ARE FINE.
-LED LIGHT IS YELLOW WHEN PRESSURE IS 74%-51% LOW.
-LED LIGHT IS RED WHEN PRESSURE IS 150% HIGH.
-LED LIGHT IS RED WHEN PRESSURE IS 50% OR MORE TOO LOW.
-LED LIGHT IS RED WHEN TEMPERATURE GETS ABOVE 185 DEGREES F'.
-BUZZER/CHIME/BEEP WHEN TIRE IS LOW, HIGH, HOT, OR NOT RESPONDING.
-TIRES CAN BE ROTATED WITHOUT REMOVAL OF SENSORS. ALTHOUGH THE TIRES MUST GO IN THIS ORDER LF->RR, RF->LR, RR->LF,LR->RF.
-FREQUENCY IS 433MHZ.
-MEASURES VOLTAGE FROM 9-16V.
-HAS BEEN TESTED TO WITHSTAND SPEEDS OF 186MPH!!!
-MUST MOUNT A SMALL RECEIVER SOMEWHERE IN THE VEHICLE
-CORD FROM DISPLAY TO RECEIVER IS 8 FEET LONG.
-DISPLAY DIMENSIONS= 3.75 X 1.75 X 0.5 INCHES

-DISPLAYS PRESSURE & TEMPERTAURE AT THE SAME TIME!
-CAN DISPLAY PRESSURES UP TO 99.9 PSI. BUT IS ONLY GUARANTEED
TO BE ACCURATE UP TO 89.6 PSI.
-CAN PRESET NORMAL PRESSURE, AND TWO LOW PRESSURE ALERTS.
-WORKS IN TEMPERATURE RANGE FROM -49'F TO 212'F

Cigarette lighter adapters are $15 each

Replacement/extra sensors are still inbound and a cost has not been determined.

Or use this link:

Last edited by damon@tirerack; 10-26-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:46 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I need them too!! A must for the track!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
damon... will tirerack be having a closeout sale for the remaiing smarttire sytems???? i would still be interested in picking up a set
Still at $199 itself. Same price as the new Route system.

Or use this link:
Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I see a problem with their tire rotation plan. No one with a 996tt
is going to LF->RR, RF->LR, RR->LF,LR->RF...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Recommendations