996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The discussion thread on 1/4 mile E.T. and Trap Speed, and their relationship to HP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
I did not want to start a riot or nice people getting pissed at each other. I hardly know what each one here has as setup. I hope we are not confusing stock K16 turbos with hybrid K16 turbos.

Hardly is a trap speed for a single run proof of any HP with a certain car, especially if it has never been repeated.

I am not trying to say who is right or wrong, just take it FWIW. No trap speeds can prove otherwise, and if it does it means something else is happening, but not HP.
Not only did my car trap 125 and 126 mph...but I also beat a X50 car with a Stage 1 chip from a roll 3 times in one night. We were both racing a 615 rwhp Cobra at the time. I posted the video here a while back.

Anyway, I have no absolutely no doubt that, for whatever reason, my car at the Stage 2 level was definitely making more than 500 crank HP. But I'm not saying that other Stage 2 cars are making the same power.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-21-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, I am not debating the trap speed, which I know is true of course, what I am saying is that either trap speed means little in relation to Hp and there is much more to it or if this trap speed means 600HP, your car was not on stock K16s, this is physics not dynos or trap speeds.

Do you have the slip for that run, I would like to look at the acceleration between your 330ft and quartermile. Please PM if you wish.

BTW, you can check it out with Todd if you would like.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Scott, I am not debating the trap speed, which I know is true of course, what I am saying is that either trap speed means little in relation to Hp and there is much more to it or if this trap speed means 600HP, your car was not on stock K16s, this is physics not dynos or trap speeds.
Well, I and many others, believe that trap speed means *everything* in relation to HP. But you will always disagree on that. And that's perfectly fine with me. I still like you.

As far as my car not having K16's...I currently have my stock K16's that Todd removed from my car sitting in my garage. I was definitely on stock K16's.

Do you have the slip for that run, I would like to look at the acceleration between your 330ft and quartermile. Please PM if you wish.
No reason to PM you. That slip has been posted on the forum ever since I made the run. Here you go:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...0&d=1134432156

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=38522

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-21-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Scott ran the car at 55 degrees I believe.... he had the v flow as well....
that was an incredible run.... guys will hybrid k16s and or stock k24s cant run 11.6 @126 mph... so what ever you did.. you did right...
from what I know scott is the only one that ran this time on stock K16s...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Temp was 55 degrees in one of those runs. Not really an even comparison to most runs. I'll be the first to admit Scott has better than average talent at this...

Markski: I didn't even see your thread when I posted

I think it's definitely possible to make more power by turning up the boost in K16 and K24 applications. Someone posted 535 (?) RWHP numbers for a stage 4 car here a little while ago. You CAN boost a K24 to 1.35 BAR. The question is do you want to? Evenm K16s can hit 1.4 BAR if you disconnect the wastegate.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-21-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
I don't disagree with trap speed and HP, it does need corrections for the launch, do you disagree with that?

I mean it is quite straightforward that if you cross the 60 feet mark at 65mph instead of 60mph, your trap speed will be higher, do you disagree? So two persons having the exact same car, one goes through the 60ft in 2.5 seconds and the other in 1.7 seconds...one traps at 120mph and the other 125mph, does it mean he has 100HP more??

If you agree with the numbers I posted on engine VE and turbo compressor sizes, there is no room for debate I would think? Todd builds your engines, you might want to double check with him. No need to take this personally.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Scott ran the car at 55 degrees I believe.... he had the v flow as well....
that was an incredible run.... guys will hybrid k16s and or stock k24s cant run 11.6 @126 mph... so what ever you did.. you did right...
from what I know scott is the only one that ran this time on stock K16s...
Also Mark...don't forget the videotaped run against the Stage 1 X50 car and Whipple Cobra. The X50 car was making 510-540 crank HP (depending on whether one believes the X50 cars are underrated or not)...and I pulled him hard 3 times in a row from a roll. Both of us were full weight cars, AWD, and both cars had two people inside.

I'd post the vid again, but it's on my laptop in Bahrain. Not on my computer here in VA.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm not doubting you beat a stage 1 X50 car. I'd love to see the vid anyhoo.

Do you think turbo lag was a factor in your race?

Old 10-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't disagree with trap speed and HP, it does need corrections for the launch, do you disagree with that?
E.T., yes. Trap speed, no. It's not really dependant on launch like you'd think. That's why cars with stock tires will routinely trap the same as they do on drag radials or slicks...even though their E.T. is is greatly reduced by the stickier tires.

I mean it is quite straightforward that if you cross the 60 feet mark at 65mph instead of 60mph, your trap speed will be higher, do you disagree? So two persons having the exact same car, one goes through the 60ft in 2.5 seconds and the other in 1.7 seconds...one traps at 120mph and the other 125mph, does it mean he has 100HP more??
No. See above.

If you agree with the numbers I posted on engine VE and turbo compressor sizes, there is no room for debate I would think? Todd builds your engines, you might want to double check with him. No need to take this personally.
I'm not taking it personally at all, bro! That's why I put the smiley faces there. I'm not upset or bothered by this discussion at all. We simply disagree. No big deal.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-21-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by ari
I'm not doubting you beat a stage 1 X50 car. I'd love to see the vid anyhoo.

Do you think turbo lag was a factor in your race?
Ari - I'll post it again when I get back to Bahrain on Monday.

As far as lag, we raced long enough each race that if he were going to catch up, he would have. But that never happened. Plus...at speeds like that, his K24's were in their element....much more than my K16's were.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd rather you just stay safe in the US. Forget my video.

It's important to state that stage 1 X50 is still running .8 bar boost and no ECU program. Your stage 2 is running 1 BAR and program right? That doesn't sound like a fair race to me. Maybe I'm not looking at it the right way?

Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by ari
I'd rather you just stay safe in the US. Forget my video.

It's important to state that stage 1 X50 is still running .8 bar boost and no ECU program. Your stage 2 is running 1 BAR and program right? That doesn't sound like a fair race to me. Maybe I'm not looking at it the right way?
I would hit 1.0 to 1.1 BAR, max. But with the larger turbos..the X50 forces more into the engine at a lower BAR....hence, why stock X50 cars make more power than stock K16 cars at the same BAR.

I was actually surprised I beat him. I had raced him before he got the chip and just destroyed him (I posted that video as well). But I figured once he got his chip, we'd be about even, or he'd have the edge. He defitnely got faster than before...but not fast enough.

My only point in mentioning the X50 race in this thread, is because the X50 was making over 500 crank HP at the time (I would guess around 520-530), and I still pulled him. Meaning that my K16 car was making more HP than he was. Just like the trap speed shows it was.

Here's the link to X50/Cobra race thread...less the video. You can read the repsonses from people that were surprised I was faster the chipped X50 car:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40418

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-21-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
E.T., yes. Trap speed, no. It's nor really dependant on launch like you'd think. That's why cars with stock tires will routinely trap the same as they do on drag radials or slicks...even though their E.T. is is greatly reduced by the stickier tires.
Not trying to be difficult here, but I don't understand the motion dynamics to be honest.

For me when the same car covers in the first run a distance of 60 feet at 60mph and then in run number 2 it covers the same distance at 65 mph, the end speed will certainly be faster in run two, unless in the balance of the 1280 feet distance something goes wrong with the car

I was talking to myself, saying not to take it personally, sorry about that

Pheww, just noticed how OT this went, apologies and I think we need to drop it here and take it to another thread.. My only point was about the K16 potential.

Last edited by Jean; 10-21-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Not trying to be difficult here, but I don't understand the motion dynamics to be honest.

For me when the same car covers in the first run a distance of 60 feet at 60mph and then in run number 2 it covers the same distance at 65 mph, the end speed will certainly be faster in run two, unless in the balance of the 1280 feet distance something goes wrong with the car
Let me give you an example of what I mean.

Here is a link to the timeslips of (3) 10 second runs I made with my car. You'll notice that the run with the highest trap speed (136) was also the run with the slowest E.T and slowest 60' time (10.86 & 1.85, repectively). I actually spun my tires and got wheelhop on that run, which is why I lost 2/10's of a second and had a slower 60' time.

Also look at the 1/8th mile mph. I only had 103 mph at the 1/8th on that run compared to 107 and 108 mph in the other two. But I still trapped the fastest mph on that run.

That's what I mean when I say that trap speed isn't really dependant on launch or even the 1/8th mile E.T/trap that much. It's relies on pure wheel HP once you reach the end of the 1/4, and nothing else.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...0&d=1142120077

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-21-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:25 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Send me a racelogix box and i will do all of the tests you want, i have nothing to hide and have SEVERAL speedo videos even before going RWD and a few other mods, still pulling 60-130 in 10.x seconds WITHOUT a flying start! 40-100 is 5 sec flat, w/e you want man. Go on viperclub.com into the Northeast section, all of my buddies are on there with supercharged viper's that run high 10's low 11's, guess what, one one of them beat me and that was when i was awd by a cl to 165, that's it. He puts down 738rwhp, i believe K16's with a proper setup, tuning or maybe just a freaky mix and match will produce crazy power from K16's, and several people have proved it.

Just because its our of the norm, doesnt mean you have to doubt it, talk down upon it and say its impossible. Because out of all people, you know some cars/drivers are different then others! AND OUT OF ALL PEOPLE, you know that just because you have K24's and some bolt ons doesnt mean its automatically BETTER then K16's or another rock solid setup, dont kid yourself!

If i wanted to i would go 1000hp right now, but that isnt the point. I have been extremely satisfied with this setup and its FAST (not enough but enought o enjoy it on every drive)
There are also several members on this board who can attest to my performance, guys with stg 3 GT2's, M5's and so on!
Well , so much for the civil conversation. I asked for more info nothing less and you come unglued. Heck , I never even saw the threads Scott deleted, but they must have been keepers. Please email me your address, I will overnight my Racelogic to you tomorrow. Once again, this was a request for more info nothing more. If you post phenonemal numbers, I will shout your praises from the rooftops. I am still looking for where I talked down to you or your setup.I am still looking for where I stated mine was better.I am still looking for where I said 24's were automatically better. I am still looking for where I stated 600hp is impossible.This is not personal and you are missing the larger point...if you are making 600hp with stock K16's that is phenonmenal.I think I am barely making 600 and there are so many cars that will stomp my setup it isnt even funny. Good for you if have those numbers. Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 10-21-2006 at 04:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The discussion thread on 1/4 mile E.T. and Trap Speed, and their relationship to HP